• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Uk fills on nhs?

Cariadtoffee

One day at a time...xx
Hi ya,

Does anyone know if I can get a fill on the nhs after private op?

The £125 I pay each fill is sooo much money to me.

Thanks xx

Oh good question! Only just banded myself so can't help but someone should be able to soon xx

I would be interested in that too as my aftercare package has now finished. That's quite a whack for a fill!

I know the hospital I am going to which is funded through Hampshire pct told me they don't do bands on nhs anymore as they only get funding for two fills and the rest have to be paid for. So would assume from this that it would possibly be very hard to get funding for a fill. Could you check with your pct or gp may know?

We had a member a couple of years back who managed to get funding for fills and aftercare after private banding, I can't remember her name now but if it comes to me I'll let you know so you can look up her posts on the subject, I think it began with a J, she was blonde and was moving to take over a country pub with her husband while she was a member if that jogs any other oldies' memories! Her GP I think suggested that they look at applying for funding on the basis that she would have been eligible for a band via nhs but chose to go private to avoid the lengthy funding process. She then had problems booking fills at first but got there in the end.

I would assume that if you weren't eligible for surgery that they would not fund fills and aftercare, but if you were but either didn't apply or chose to go private anyway they may look at it. I would assume from reading lots of funding policies that it would be an application to the exceptional circumstances committee for funding under the low clinical priority funding policy.

Hope that helps x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It was Honey-DD unfortunately she stopped posting after a run in with one of our now banned members but if you use the advanced search you can bring up her old posts if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I would think that if you didn't fulfill PCT criteria to get funding for WLS in the first place, it would be highly unlikely & probably a huge battle to get NHS funding for band fills as an aftercare thing.
I know this may be a 'shut the stable door after the horse has bolted' kind of question, but were band fills within the aftercare package vs no band fills included not fully explained to you when you paid your money privately for your band op? I do think with more people having to privately fund WLS with the current funding cuts etc, this is an important facet that potential WLS candidates need to understand, so it's even more critical for people who have had good/bad experiences with private companies to share those perceptions with others xxx

just out of interest it may be worth a phone call to your local spire they have said to me as a private patient fills when i start paying wouls be £75-£80 so worth a phone call to find out if they do fills seperatly? x

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I love this group already!
I had my band fitted with the hospital group, on their why go abroad? scheme which was a great deal cheaper than the one that provided fills after. I think I paid £4995 compared to £7495? My thinking was that it would take 20 fills to make the more expensive package worth it and couldn't envisage using that amount in the 2yr timeframe given. Iyswim.
I've had more fill adjustments than I thought I'd need due to my pregnany but still not even 10 in over two years. Saying that, though, I'm still at the same weight more or less as I started! Lol. But not really lol.
I haven't got the energy for a fight with pcts or gps so will just have to save my pennies and get my fills when required...

Back