• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going abroad?! ?

ClairGee

Hiya all ?

Firstly, I'm Clair, 31 from Scotland. Mum of a gorgeous 14 month old girl.
I've been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember. 3 years ago I went from 20 stone to 11.12 after doing a meal replacement diet. Put on 2 stone after relocating back to Scotland Then I got pregnant (miracle baby) gained 5 and a half stone coz all i ever done was eat. So here I am now, 14 months after birth at 18 stone 6lb and I'm bloody miserable. I've tried everything, shakes, boot camp, drugs, therapy, books, points, juices blah blah you know how it goes.
I've thought about WLS for a couple of years to be honest, I was on the verge of paying private for a band until I found exante and that was my final shot (lucky for me it worked) but now I'm serious and I'm bloody desperate.
My Dr won't even talk to me about it, she sent me to a psyc who diagnosed "binge eating disorder" so they won't entertain surgery at all.
So that brings me to my question..... Going abroad!! A good idea or not??
How many of you lovely lot have done it abroad? Good points? Bad points?
I've been looking at a company called Baltic Bariactric they're offering a bypass for £4400 ? still not sure 100% what to do. I know I NEED a bypass, no question. It's just the fact of going abroad. I was quoted around £10,000 having it in Edinburgh but there's no way I can afford that. I'm gonna be struggling to afford the cheaper one but I'm willing to put it on my card and work hard to pay it off.
My wonderful other half is slowly coming round to the idea of surgery but to be honest I don't care if Jesus Christ himself told me not too, I know I'm having it. Just have to decide when and where!!!
Sorry, that turned into a novel ?
Any advice, good or not will be very much appreciated xx

Just wanted to wish you luck, I self funded but had my op in the UK I hope you can find what it is you need, almost a year and over 10st loss for me I'm so thankful I had the op :)

Would you not consider a band?

I had mine at the Nuffield in Glasgow. Loads of folks have lost large amounts of weight with band

Good luck with what ever course if action you decide on x

I went away to brno for surgery lost just over 3 stone since 30th September I had the sleeve which I could never have afforded in this country

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Just wanted to wish you luck, I self funded but had my op in the UK I hope you can find what it is you need, almost a year and over 10st loss for me I'm so thankful I had the op :)

10st omg! Well done you. You've lost a whole human. You must feel amazing. What did you have? How are you finding it? xx

Would you not consider a band? I had mine at the Nuffield in Glasgow. Loads of folks have lost large amounts of weight with band Good luck with what ever course if action you decide on x

No I wouldn't, I've spent hours and hours reading and searching and I've decided it's defo the bypass I need.
How long have you had yours? How much have you lost? xx

I went away to brno for surgery lost just over 3 stone since 30th September I had the sleeve which I could never have afforded in this country Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Well done. That's amazing., you must be really pleased.
How did you find going abroad? Did you go on your own? How long did it take you to be 100% sure you trusted them? xx

10st omg! Well done you. You've lost a whole human. You must feel amazing. What did you have? How are you finding it? xx

I had a bypass, and have found it plain sailing, had no pain at all post op and have been really well in the last year, I just need to lose 1 more lb by 21st November to hit my target of 12st which will make a 10st 7lb loss in total :)

http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-by...-after/156633-what-difference-year-makes.html thats my weight loss in pics :)

I had a bypass, and have found it plain sailing, had no pain at all post op and have been really well in the last year, I just need to lose 1 more lb by 21st November to hit my target of 12st which will make a 10st 7lb loss in total :) http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-bypass-rny-inspirational-pictures-before-after/156633-what-difference-year-makes.html thats my weight loss in pics :)

Jeezo that's incredible eh. I bet this will be the hardest 1lb you'll have lost in your life too lol xx

I self funded and had a mini gastric bypass 6 weeks ago in Brussels with Dr Chris de Bruyne. Around £6000..... I found it very easy! 55 min flight for me, collected, hotel included etc. I took a friend but would of been okay alone I think but it was reassuring to have her there. I was very well looked after.... Stayed 4 nights, 1 pre opp, 2 in hospital, 1 post opp.... No real issues so far ... 2 stone lost..... Best of luck! :)

No I wouldn't, I've spent hours and hours reading and searching and I've decided it's defo the bypass I need. How long have you had yours? How much have you lost? xx

I opted for the band as my close friend and her sister both had theirs in Belgium 6 years ago and have had great success.

I was too scared to go abroad I'm afraid...I was bricking it getting banded in the UK lol. I'm not a very brave soldier ;-)

I was done two and a half months ago and have lost 3 stone

I did ask my surgeon if the sleeve would be a better option, but he said he would not consider It at my BMI of 35. I was 15 st 5lb - I have around two stone still to lose. I will wait to see how I look at around 10 and a half stone

My friends swore by Belgium and it was over half the price of my op. I paid 6.5k but that includes my aftercare package including up to 8 fills

I have been researching this a lot and there seem to be some really good clinics out there. If they will do it, I will be going to Belgium simply because they do aftercare appointments in the uk. Also, the price they quote includes for you and a friend/husband/partner to stay there for 4 nights. Two of the nights for you will be in the hospital and transfers from/to airport. The doctor there (Dr Chris Bryeune, I think) seems to have a good reputation.

Debbie

Well done. That's amazing., you must be really pleased. How did you find going abroad? Did you go on your own? How long did it take you to be 100% sure you trusted them? xx

It was okay I went by myself because I didn't have anyone to go with me, a few people from this site went with them that's how the company gained my trust, I started of at just under 17 stone and I'm 13 stone 9lbs now... It will be 6 weeks on Tuesday

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hi and welcome, i had mine here in the uk so cant help with that but i would suggest you consider a sleeve. I was a binge eater, big time, but believe me theres no binge eating with a sleeve. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hello my lovely!!!! Just realised my diary is in the bronze section so you can't see it till ya have 50 posts or something like that..

Welcome to the WLS nut house my little sugar fiend lol xxx

You will get lots of lovely advice from like minded people Clair and no judgemental people to bring you down..

Mucho love x x x

Hello my lovely!!!! Just realised my diary is in the bronze section so you can't see it till ya have 50 posts or something like that.. Welcome to the WLS nut house my little sugar fiend lol xxx You will get lots of lovely advice from like minded people Clair and no judgemental people to bring you down.. Mucho love x x x

Hey my sexy skinny friend ?
Wondered why I couldn't find Ya.
I'll get there in no time ? xxx

What's the name of the Belgium clinic that a few of you have talked about?
Or am I going straight to hell for asking that hehe xx

I had surgery in le harve France with Frenchsurgeries on 15/10/14 cost £5400 for mini gastric bypass one of few ops that can be reversed.small scars left after as no open surgery was needed also no need for liver shrinking diet pre op,as no need to shrink liver for this op.caught ferry from Portsmouth to le harve(£75 inc rtn cabin)hotel is 10 mins walk away from port.another person can also stay gratis 2nites hotel,2nites hos,1nite hotel again all taxis inc to & from hotel-hos.£200 was paid to company for ins that covers for reversal if needed for upto one year.ive lost 2 stone 5lb since op.and I'm doing good.although I've struggled with lack of energy which I'm putting down to being dehydrated.there is no aftercare package so the NHS can bail you out as you paid for surgery out of your own pocket which will ultimately save them thrice as much in the long run ah ha.check out all who has had mini gastric bypass on this site and fire away with the questions I can't understand why not this op compared to other options(other than costs & body tolerance).the hag who deals with you though,a miss tulia law is an over talking ignoramus whos just a lap dog to a Geoff Lord who talks from a land where the clouds are purple yet unfortunately so distant from real people who unlike him talk through there mouths not from there arse.
Just thought I'd give you France as another option if you can put up with tweedle dee & tweedle dum.the sleeve or band is £3000 or so I think.

Back