• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Upset tummy- could it be the antibiotics??

stuckinafatsuit

POPPED THAT FAT SUIT!
Hi all
Ive been prescribed Erythromycin for a chest infection, 2 tablets every 4 hours which equals 2000mg a day. This is day 3 and also day 3 of an upset tummy and diarrhea, it must be the tablets, has anyone else had trouble taking these or are any antibiotics not tolerated well after surgery.
It says on the box that they are gastro resistant but this is my 1st course of antibiotics since surgery. Im not going to take any more, i just cant handle how unwell they make me feel.
Am seeing the doctor tomorrow so will see what he says.

Kim

Me! But as you've seen my previous posts, I'm such an allergic filly. I was so sick & upset. I was projectile vomiting, shaking & I won't mention what else!! You need to get to Drs ASAP.

Antibiotics make my husband really ill (sick, runny bottom :wave_cry:) but he hasn't had a bypass so may not be relevant. Just to say they can cause these symptoms ... hope you feel better soon, hon xxx :wave_cry:

I'm very allergic to erythromycin, in fact my whole family is and when I tell doctors etc. they say it is a common one to get sickness or diarrhoea with, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be the problem. Obviously I can't give medical advice but I think personally I would stop them too, as if it is an allergy the more you consume the worse it will get. It's good you have tomorrow as missing doses of antibiotics for infection isn't great either, they will probably give you a different antibiotic to be safe. Hope you are feeling better soon x

I'm very allergic to erythromycin, in fact my whole family is and when I tell doctors etc. they say it is a common one to get sickness or diarrhoea with, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be the problem. Obviously I can't give medical advice but I think personally I would stop them too, as if it is an allergy the more you consume the worse it will get. It's good you have tomorrow as missing doses of antibiotics for infection isn't great either, they will probably give you a different antibiotic to be safe. Hope you are feeling better soon x
Thanks, also i proably wont be absorbing much from them with having diarrhea.

Kim

I'm allergic to that too I'd advise stopping and checking with Dr and in the meantime sipping regularly to try and top your fluids back up xx

OMG just looked on a site discussing this drug, nearly everyone had awful sickness, diarrhea and pain from it and only a few managed to finish the course.
If your doctor ever prescribes these, take with caution!

Well know side effect of that group of antibiotics - terrible on the old belly - are you allergic to penicillin ? Is that why they gave you them?
Poor you
xx

No, im not allergic to penicillin and i used a walk in centre on saturday which prescribed them. She said i needed something stronger than amoxycillian to get rid of the chest infection. I will ask for my usual antibiotic tomorrow and hope that will do the trick.

Thanks for all your replies

Kim

Hi hun, sorry I only just saw this. A lot of people get those symptoms on antibiotics. One of the reasons is because is because they kill all the bacteria good and bad. Sometimes it helps to eat bio yoghurt during the course as it restores the good tummy bacteria. I always do this with antibiotics and it does work. Especially with the diarrhoea. Take Care xx

Back