• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So this is how it went.

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
I followed the pre-op diet, I choose to do the low fat one, couldn't face all that milk plus extra fluids thought I would drown. My 2 weeks went fairly smoothly and I lost 4lb week 1 and 5lb week 2 so total of 9lbs down already, bonus:D

We had to be at the Duchy Hospital for 7.30am so I went to bed just after 11 and I have to say slept well. I think I had done all my worrying weeks ago:eek: Being very aware that dehydration could be an issue I made myself have extra fluids the day before having my last drink just before bed.

At 550am ( I'd forgotten this hour existed, we lead a very laid back life!!) I awoke and got dressed. As I couldnt eat or drink we decided to set off early.

Kissed my little girl (8) goodbye, lots of tears. I'd made a bit of an error here. When I told her about going to hospital I said I HAD to go. Now at that age going to hospital means you're either poorly or having a baby. Having established I wasnt pregnant she was worrying.:(
In hindsight I should have said it was my choice and I WANTED to go. We sorted it out but it could have been smoother, shame on me for not making it easier for her:sigh:

Got over my blubbing and said goodbye to dad, more blubbing. On route to hospital my middle daughter (25) phoned to wish me well, more blubbing. At least I knew my eldest wouldn't be phoning, she really doesn't know about that time of day. Dreading the final goodbye with OH I decided he was to leave soon after we arrived at the hospital, I was running out of toilet roll and make up!!

At arrival we were taken to a nice private room where I unpacked and settled down with the TV to wait. He left more blubbing...Now I can readjust my make up one last time . I can't cope with people being nice to me, how ridiculous:eek:
The anesthetist came checked my details, allergies etc and explained that she'll place a drip in my arm once in theatre and would use a very slow anesthetic to gently drift me off:)
Mr Finlay, my surgeon, arrived and asked if I had any questions or concerns. I truly didn't, having done so much research and talking to you guys on here felt I was ready. I signed my consent form and settled again to wait.
I'm scheduled for 10am and I'm feeling quite thirsty having not had any fluids since 11 last night. In hindsight I should have woken up at 4.30am and taken some more fluids on board, but too late now. I put on my sexy socks, this takes three pairs to get the right size. I have a small gown to put on and I put on my dressig gown to cover my modesty. Oh and just for a previous thread I had my own knickers on, which I'm proud to say stayed in place!!!
Eventually I was walked down to the theatre and climbed aboard the operating table.I am feeling really calm. The room was really a lot smaller than I'd expected and cold!. There was a bit of a fuss because they couldn't find my consent form even though the porter had just read it and checked it 10 mins ago. Someone places some monitoring tabs on my chest as the Anesthetist tried to put a drip in my hand, but I don't give up my veins easily so she decides to put one in after I'm asleep when apparently the veins widen!! If you say so!! The red digital numbers on the clock say 12:18. There is a lot of activity around me, people getting instruments ready etc. I choose not to look at them. Mr Finlay walks in doesn't say anything but looks cross as I'm still awake, they're still trying to find the consent form!!

Found it!! 12:24. Now a mask is placed over my mouth and nose and someone says think of something nice, all I can think of is my girls and you've guessed it now tears rolling down my cheeks. The gas is turned up at this stage and I said "wow thats it" and I'm gone. So much for the slow anesthetic!!

I'm awoken by someone telling me I'm all done:D I'm transferred to HDU. My op took just 1hour 50 mins. Mr Finlay insists on 2 hours in recovery and first 24hrs in HDU. And most importantly he likes you to be as mobile as much and as soon as possible to prevent DVT

I am SOOOOOOO thirsty. Mr Finlay visits and says everything went really well, Anna my nurse gets another IV fluid hooked up and I'm encouraged to drink as much as possible. I have no pain or discomfort:D:D Just Thirst:(

I'm hooked up to the blood pressure monitor, finger thingy for my pulse and a small oxygen tube up my nose, I also have blow up pads on my legs these all stay on for all my time in HDU.

At about 6pm I can hear my little girl outside the room and before I know it shes here! Oh dear. What I hadn't realised was that my face was a bit yellow, from the iodine and blue from the dye. I was all hooked up and it must have looked awful for her so she was a bit upset. I was able to jolly her along and reassure her. they didn't stay long and I only wish my op had been on time and I would have been looking a lot better.

I had a couple of IV paracetomol and anti sickness drugs but that was it. After the first attempt on the commode, nothing. Second attempt, nothing . Then sat there, still thirsty, had a drink and it went straight through. Bizarre.!!:confused:I managed to get up and walk to the loo after a couple of hours.

I am visited by the hospital manager who apologises for the delay starting my op. I am considering writing a letter about this as the delay did cause me to be sooooo thirsty as I hadn't had fluids for over 13 hours and this could easily have had a detrimental affect on my recovery. As it was I only needed an extra bag of fluids so I guess I'm lucky.

Bp and other checks are done all night and Anna is there all the time, nothing was too much trouble, we even have a few chats during the night. She was very interested in why I choose to have the op and how it was going to affect my life. Just postively I said:D:D

In the morning I am offered more pain relief though now I'm off the drip its in soluble form, which I really dont like but take them anyway, not because I'm in pain but just don't want to be. I'm given a bit of help having a wash, put my own nightie on, fresh knickers and make up and actually feel quite human:D

I'm transferred to my room and a bit later in the day a staff nurse comes in with my Fragmin injection. Now this is one of the things I've be dreading the most. I don't do needles, hate having my blood taken. How the hell am I going to inject myself for 5 days when I get home??

"Do you want to do it?" she says. "No" says I. But I cant get anyone else to do it at home , I cant go to the surgery, it'll be the weekend "Explain how to do it to me" Where did that come from!!!:confused:

I take the needle from her, squeeze a handful of tummy, insert the needle in at an angle and depress the plunger. "Let go of your skin before removing the needle" she says. I do this and Hey I've done it. WELL DONE ME!!:D:D

The hospital managed to get some liquid form of my BP medication, they worked hard for this. So now I have all I need and am set. Mr Finlay comes and visits again, he's is so attentive, says I'm disgustingly well. That my heartbeat has been so low all the time even during surgery, my blood pressure is better than his and do I want to go home tomorrow:D:D All I have to do is take my bp meds and get the readings checked to make sure they don't fall through the floor. Then thats it!! Amazing!!:D:D

I feel incredibly fortunate that I have been in no pain or discomfort, was discharged from hospital 24hours early and since being home have slept well, on either sides, and just resting and drinking.

I hope my journey continues in the same vein. I'm amazed at what I have done and can't wait to experience my new me:D:D:D

For those of you that made it to the end of this post WELL DONE!!

Wow Sarah, what a really positive experience ... :):) I am so pleased for you & hope everyone waiting for their op (including me) has a similar one. Hope your little girl is OK now & reassured now her mummy is back home ... fabulous post, lovely xxx :):):)

What an incredibly uplifting post to read. I can't think of anything nicer to read the day before I go for my bypass. I feel so much more confident now about it all. I am so pleased that everything went so smoothly for you sweetheart. I hope that you continue to get better and better with each day that passes. Absolutely delighted for you :)

I am so pleased that its gone well for you hun.

Really I am. I'm also really jealous of you being pain free haha.

If you find any really tasty post op liquid food please let me know

xx

woop!!

I am so pleased that its gone well for you hun.

Really I am. I'm also really jealous of you being pain free haha.

If you find any really tasty post op liquid food please let me know

xx

I've not found anything too exciting yet. Just bovril, oxo, milk, squash. Had a little bit of sugar free jelly that was nice and had some tomato soup watered down that I did enjoy. I'm also open to idea suggestions.

The really odd thing is that I don't feel hungry at all. OH cooked up some nice pork steaks that I thought looked really tasty but they didn't make me feel hungry, but I can see whats meant by the head hunger now, I'll have to watch out for that one.:)

Sarah, I have just read your thread and feel a bit calmer now. I'm due for my bypass on Tuesday and the nerves are starting to kick in now so it was reassuring to read your thread. Wish you well on your way to recovery x

Sarah that is a brilliant read, I wish I had done the same, but sadly had other things to write about :cry: I did actually feel jealous :p of others having a loving experience when they came home, but that has all passed.

Our operation / recovery experience nearly mirrored each other anyway, we have both been blessed, and I hope that continues for you. Mr F is either a genius or we are model patients, I am not sure which... We both had no catheter, and kept our knickers LOL

It is funny I was dreading injecting myself, but it is such a fine needle, you really don't feel it go in do you? Well I didn't maybe I have lead lined fat. I certainly feel like I have a lead lined pouch and can eat anything and everything, which could be a blessing or a curse. Depends where the head ends up...

Keep up the good work girl, my weight loss has slowed now, but hopefully will get a boost. I am eating more, but also still am walking more. Keep moving, keep posting, and keep hugging your little girl.

xxxxxx

Sarah that is a brilliant read, I wish I had done the same, but sadly had other things to write about :cry: I did actually feel jealous :p of others having a loving experience when they came home, but that has all passed.

Our operation / recovery experience nearly mirrored each other anyway, we have both been blessed, and I hope that continues for you. Mr F is either a genius or we are model patients, I am not sure which... We both had no catheter, and kept our knickers LOL

It is funny I was dreading injecting myself, but it is such a fine needle, you really don't feel it go in do you? Well I didn't maybe I have lead lined fat. I certainly feel like I have a lead lined pouch and can eat anything and everything, which could be a blessing or a curse. Depends where the head ends up...

Keep up the good work girl, my weight loss has slowed now, but hopefully will get a boost. I am eating more, but also still am walking more. Keep moving, keep posting, and keep hugging your little girl.

xxxxxx

Must be something in the Cornish water ... may have to consider relocating hmmm. With my luck though I would end up with the catheter & lead lined pants xxx :)

With my luck though I would end up with the catheter & lead lined pants xxx :)

OMG I just choked on my dinner :D

I am supposed to chew chew chew, not laugh, choke, swallow :eek:

Hi Butterfly, some of us wear our own knickers, some of us wear paper ones and some start in knickers but end up in the buff! Some also have to have a catheter fitted, so obviously no knickers there. There was a recent post on it, which is what Sarah was referring to.

Its time to worry when you go down to theatre with knickers on to have a wisdom tooth removed and come back with no knickers on!!! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back