• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Yoyo-nomore

Hey all:

Just reading up about vertical sleeve gastrectomy which is a form of surgery to effect stomach size reduction but without the bypass (ie no malaborption, no dumping etc). So the weight loss is simply from the tummy reduction to a pouch but the way we digest food remains the same.

This wasn't on offer for me (I had Y en Roux), but seems like a great option. Anyone clued up as to why this isn't a form of surgery more commonly offered?

yoyo
x

hi as far as i know from my surgeon its not often done as there is a huge risk off bleeding where they staple you a new tupe like tummy or the staples can come away and over time your tummy goes back to its normal size i hope this makes sence x x x

Hi YOYO
Yeah I`v been offered it because I have angina and the surgery only takes about 40 mins to do . But with me having angina pain I have to get tests done before my surgery if the heart it OK I want a bypass . With the sleeve you loose the weight slower . If I do get the sleeve and I don't loose that much weight in 18 months they can do the full bypass then .
Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Thanks both.. makes sense!

I have to say I'd trade a slower rate of weight loss for no dumping and side effects of malabsorption.. Ah well.. bit late now!! Still - hope it might prompt others to ask the questions ...

yoyo
x

:D Hi YoYo, yes i think i know which this one is. A friend of mine had it done 18 months ago in the States, they call it the mini gastric bypass over there. My friend has done fantasticly well loosing 10 stone. He looks wonderful! In the future if he wants he is able to have the bypass - i dont think he will as it seems to have done the job!

Hiya Margaret
sorry this is a bit off topic, but why are your responses larger than everyone else's. I mean the reply box itself, not your contents, if that makes sense. Your sentances roll off the viewing page on my laptop and I have to scoll over to read the whole thing. I dont think I have seen that before

Regards
MNL

i think that margrets box grew to accommodate her siggy's

It's being offered more & more here. The weight loss is good but there are no real long term results regarding regain yet.

hi as far as i know from my surgeon its not often done as there is a huge risk off bleeding where they staple you a new tupe like tummy or the staples can come away and over time your tummy goes back to its normal size i hope this makes sence x x x

i second what sarah says about the risks of the bleed and also theres a high risk long term of restretching the pouch to a normal sized stomach and weight regain. its great for people with a very high bmi or health issues to loose alot of weight then convert to a full bypass.

I have recently had the sleeve but i did read in America,doctors say the difference between Rny and the sleeve arent enough to matter,also they are having more patients keep it off with the sleeve,and the upside of no dumping and malabsorbation.
But because VGS isnt widely used in the UK,I guess it will be a while for the true results here to be established.

The weekly weight loss i was told,could be more than the band but not as much as the bypass,but i am sure other people may have been told different .

But a person can cheat all procedures if bound and determined to remain obese.

I just needed a tool to give me a helping hand. VSG was the best option for me.

Last edited:
hey Margaret
You fixed it, it looks much better.
MNL

Hmmmm... I really wish Id known about it before hand. I'm losing 2 pounds a week (8 weeks after Y-en-Roux) and would LOVE to have avoided the mal-absorption side effects and dumping.

T

Thanku Gaynor,
I know each and everyone of us have different experiences with which ever wls we decided on,but i am always willing to help if i can.
Hope you have a good week away,you deserve it.

xxx

Back