• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin B12 for Sleevers

Banana19

Hi lovelies!!

I'm wondering if any sleevers get a vitamin B12 injection as part of their aftercare? I was just reading up on some symptoms of N12 deficiency and I've pretty much got all of them :(

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Last time I had my bloods checked all was ok, but that was over 6months ago. Best I go get checked again I think xxx

Hi Banana, I use the B12 spray from Holland and Barrett, it absorbs through your mouth as sleeved stomachs cannot absorb B12. My B12 levels are always on the upper side of normal. My hospital doesn't automatically give injections unless there is a deficiency. I would ask for a blood test, but in the meantime the spray is definitely worth trying as your supply is kept more constant than if you have jabs xx

I am nearly 2 years out and I do not need to get the B12 injection.

Hi, I just had the operation.
B12 injections ( every 3 months) are on the request from my GP.
Although I had all inclusive package, this was not provided for me, rather suggested that I get the GP to prescribe.
Best go to your GP.

Hi there my provider recommended that I have a B12 injection every 3 months as my levels were already low before having my sleeve. I am not 8 months post op and I may need to have them every 8-10 weeks as I am still low. My GP provides my b12 injections.

Hi

I'm almost 18months out from having my sleeve. I have b12 injection every 12 weeks. My blood tests are always normal but my gp still gives it me as per consultants request.
I also have 2x vitamin b complex tablets, 2x multi vitamin tablets an 2x calcichew tablets daily, prescribed by my consultant/gp.
My next injection is 2 weeks and my god I'm tired and need it!
I think it depends on who you have- I had my sleeve privately but my surgeon retired 8 months later and transferred my aftercare to nhs (soooo pleased about that!) he never did b12 injections but new nhs one changed my prescription to include it.

I had a bypass and am a life long vegetarian but my GP refuses to give me the B12 injections because it's in normal range ( only just).... I'm so frustrated, I've requested it 3 times now and I'm so exhausted!.... I'm sure it would help! .....Because I didn't have my surgery in the UK on the NHS it's hard to get anyone else on side! :(

Hi
I had my Sleeve in November, and b12's on my list every 3 months for life from the GP.

Hospital said "its in the new guides lines for WLS"

I'm having my sleeve NHS a week tomorrow and have been told quarterly b12 injections for life too ?

I was told the same, but so far after having my bloods checks around the 6 month mark, maybe a little before the tests came back oj so dont need my b12 injection just yet

My GP prescribed the b12 injections but also mentioned having them when not needed may also be detrimental to health.
She would not prescribe calcium for me for example. The only thing I got was b12, for a year after which she said only if I am deficient.

Thanks for the tip! I will be sleeved next week and I'm always concerned about vitamin deficiency.

I use b12 spray. Had bloods checked recently and b12 level was normal. According to my doc not giving injections unless im deficient or symptomaticsm

Xx

Back