• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins

purpleprincess29

I know you have to take supplements and vitamins after a gastric bypass. Just wondered can you still take medication in tablet form or does it need to be liquid medicine?

And what about general stuff like paracetamol?

I know you have to take supplements and vitamins after a gastric bypass. Just wondered can you still take medication in tablet form or does it need to be liquid medicine?

And what about general stuff like paracetamol?

About two weeks post op you will be able to consume normal swallow tablets with no problem.

Some people find the drugs in paracetamol upset there pouch, however i have no problem with any drugs and can take anything.

your bariatric surgeon/consultant will advice you about which vitimins you need to take, my post operative care was handed over to my GP and he was given specific instructions from my Surgeon what he required me to take and the lenght of time i need to take various vits, i now get these vitimins on a pre paid prescription.

hiya
for the first 2 or 3 weeks i had to crush all my meds :jelous: but after that i was able to take them as normal :)

I was able to take small tablets immediately post op as per usual on the instructions of my surgeon and these included capsules- however I was sent home with a carrier bag full of soluble drugs which I didnt use! These included soluble paracetomol which tastes foul. Its the horse tablets like vitamins that you have to wait 8 weeks post op to take but during that time, you are using your own natural stores so dont worry. It all takes a bit of getting used to but once you are in the swing of it, its fine.

All my meds I left the hospital with were tablets/capsules and I was told to start taking them straight away, which I did and was fine. I had to break the multi vit in two as it was so big but it still went down fine. Wasn't offered any soluble meds either before or since the op.

Cuppa xx

After the op I had soluble paracetamol and codeine, which do taste foul but didnt need them for long. Then when I 2 weeks post op I started on my vitamins had to open my multi vit and added to yoghurt and crushed my Iron but after 3 weeks post op I could swallow them whole.

Back