• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What Vitamins to take?

Lola K

Hi, just wondered what vitamins you all take daily after bypass surgery? is there liquid forms available? are they better? - has anyone suffered hair loss?? (women?) - and are there vitamins to combat this?? - i'm just trying to get the full picture before my surgery (hopefully within the next few months) :D

Hi, I take Boots A-Z , which was recommended to me by the dietician (any A-Z vitamin) I think you can get liquid but I take the pills. They are very big but I break them in half and they're fine.
I will also be taking iron and calcium soon, and having Vit B12 injections ever 3 months.
I believe hair loss is often a problem but it isn't for me yet (almost 4 weeks post-op)
I think there's lots of threads about this if you do a search. My dietician told me extra zinc would be the thing to ake if it becomes a problem.

I am currently on the hunt for a liquid suppliment - I don't think I could risk / manage to take the pills so I'm off to Boots later on, am also going to see if the docs can prescribe anything. I'll let you know how I get on!

I started with bassets jelly Multivitamins and then took the boots ones later on, I have to have calcium and iron extrra supplements and Im waiting to see the consultant later today to sort out B12 as I am sure I am deficient.. As for hair loss, it will happen, but I am sure you wont go bald, you will just notice the hair coming out when you wash it etc, I had quite thick hair and although it felt like it was shedding loads I didn't get any bald patches and after a few months it stopped, Asda do a vitamin for hair and nails etc and I think this has the extra minerals and zinc etc we need I did take this for a while, might be worth trying..

Thanks for your answers guys, I will keep my eyes out for liquid vitamins now. xxxx

Good luck to all of you too xxx

Lola xx

Hi Lola, my surgeon has recommended that I take the multivitamin FORCEVAL - your GP can prescribe it, I've also bought a few supplements which I'll start taking soon (I'm only a few days out of my op).

I bought Silica Complex and Biotin (recommended on US forums, blogs etc. against hair loss) SILICA COMPLEX | Puritan UK
and SUPER BIOTIN 5000 mcg. | Puritan UK

It is also recommended you get some zinc, try some SOLVAZINC which disolves in water.
Selenium is also recommended against hair loss.

Protein is also important and there is an excellent sticky in the pre-op or post-op diet section.
I got these IDS, New Whey Liquid Protein, Protein Ready to Drink, Protein Blend at Discount Supplementsfor my first couple of weeks and some Santatogen Protein powder from Boots.
Your surgeon will also advise on calcium etc.

This is what I intend to take but I'm sure there will be plenty of experience long-term bypassers along soonwho may be able to advise better.

Thanks biggy, congtats on your op!! - how are you feeling??

Hi Lola, am feeling great. Was up and about immediately after surgery, discharged at 10am the next morning. Today, 5 days after surgery, I was up, changed the beds, did a tidy up, walked the dogs - twice! Appetite is coming back and I'm steadily drinking more as I am healing.
This op is amazing, so good luck with yours and let us know how you are getting on.
Take care & good luck!!

I bought the soluble multi vitamins and vitamin C yesterday, they tast lovely, obviously I have been waiting for the fizz to go before I drink them but better than nothing I suppose (3 for 2 as well!)
x

I've been on Iron and calcium/vit D since the day after surgery. The were both chewy tabs and now the iron one is a swallow as my GP does'nt do the chewy, saying that all my other meds were solid tabs and I was taking them the day after op. My multi vit/ mineral tabs are the complete ones from Tesco and was swallowing them whole from day 7

Went to my docs and she recommended I buy a juicer to get my vitamins in! Not really the answer I wanted to hear....
I'll be sticking to the soluble onces for now but see if I can buy the ones noted above on tinternet! x

Back