• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

VSG on 2nd March! (UK - Belgium Surgery Services)

Becki

Hey there, I've been silently stalking these forums for a while, and I figure with my surgery date being very close at hand I might as well finally make a post!
I want to feel like I have as many people to talk to as possible, especially in case I experience some of that post-surgery regret and panic, I'll need someplace to go to remind me why I chose this journey!

I'm so glad people on this forum are so prepared to help, honest and supportive, and I feel lucky to have an outlet like this to come to.

I'm 23, living in sunny (ha) Scotland! Before my pre-op I weighed 17st, which is not the heaviest I've ever been but it's been climbing back up over time, I've been overweight since primary school and obese since high school, so I've been through the cruelest stages and safe to say I didn't enjoy my time in education, right now I would say I am happy in my life, I enjoy my job, I have a boyfriend of nearly three years who is very supportive and will be coming with me to Brussels, they only thing that I still feel holds me back in life is my food addiction and overweight issues, I wouldn't even say its all about self confidence, mainly just my health! I get out of breath just kneeling down or bending over, my asthma isn't very controlled and I just feel like I'm missing out on the prime years of my life.

I am booked in for a VSG on the 2nd march, I fly out on the 1st and will be staying in the Lodge Vilvoorde until the 5th. I had a consulation in Glasgow, 5th of Jan with Bart Rommes, one of the Belguim Surgery Services reps. I went with my dad who has a lot of experience working with private health companies and hospitals, and he's also had a surgery (non bariatric) before, so I wanted his second opinion on it all, because I didn't want to be swooned in on all the good stuff! We both left satisfied and I went on to apply for a loan to fund the surgery (that was a whole other kettle of fish that took a while but I got there in the end!)

I've been doing my pre-op diet which has been okay actually, I rebelled at the beggining but I think the fear of sabotaging my surgery set in and I've been more sensible.
Generally I have a protein shake for breakfast, a salad or omlette for lunch and then chicken/veg for dinner. I've never been one for soda but coming off the coffee was a bit of a pain!
So far from my pre-op I'm down 4lb which I'm hoping is a good sign of things to come.

I must say the nerves are kicking in and reading through all the diet stages and restrictions is making my stomach do flips! But I know in the long run it'll all be worth it!

I would love to hear from anyone else with a VSG or especially anyone that used Belgium Surgery Services!
My next update will most likely be post-op!

Thank you if you took the time to read all this! :)
~ Becki

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Becki, welcome and good luck - not long to go now!
I had a sleeve last year but NHS not private so I have no experience of where you are going but can tell you I love my sleeve. It's an ongoing learning experience but as long as you stick to what your team tell you to do, listen to your body (including emotional stuff that sometimes affects your food choices) and remain honest with yourself it's an adventure well worth taking :)

Hi Becki, I'm wondering how you got on in Belgium? I'm booked to make the same trip & procedure as you in Mid-April and I'm really nervous! Any feedback you could give me on all aspects would be very welcome!
Thank you
Amo

Back