• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waiting for Surgery

Priesty

Hi All,

I have just found this forum by searching for Dr Shaw Somer's name on google:). I have already had a consultation with Guy Slater and have been accepted for surgery :happy036:(As long as everything else is ok).

I had to fill in a Psycology report and have just had a letter asking me to go to a consultation at the Chichester Suite.

Has anyone else here had to do that? I live in Dover and it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get there. Will it take long?

Also as an NHS patient (which I know I am incredibly lucky and privellaged) does anyone have any idea how long the wait is?

I really know little about this apart from what information was given to me and what i have seen on the Fat Doctor programme.

Also what sort of foods can you eat after, I know it is very small amounts but how long until you can eat real food (for want of a better term).

I know I won't be able to eat bad foods again and Im fine with that. I know it's a shame I have to have surgery because I have the will power of a gnat but I just want to do it now lol.

Thanks for listening and I hope to get to know you all soon.

Take Care

Paula:confused:

Hi Paula

Welcome to minimins and congratulations on your surgery acceptance. Going for a Psych session is totally normal prior to WLS so dont panic. What are you having - bypass or band?

Hi,

Sorry I thought I had said doh!! I'm having the Bypass, hopefully laporscopically (god I can't spell). My Psych is on the 25th of September at 12.45p.m. Does anyone know if the Chichester suite is where you go to have the op as well as the consultation. When I saw Guy Slater I went to the Bariatric Department in the Loxwood Centre.

Thanks

Paula XX

You're NOT a pest! Welcome to the site.:welcome: I think every hospital and PCT is different and have different waiting times. I'm with Walsall Manor and Birmingham East & North PCT and from referral in January it will be 9 months when I get my op in a month's time. Good luck, Mxx

Hi there Priesty

Welcome to Mini's...and congratulations for getting accepted for surgery.

There are lots of people here who have had Somers & Slater do their surgeries and I'm sure they will be around shortly to answer all your questions...just keep bumping.

(((hugs)))

Hi Paula
welcome to minis, i'm not in your area so can't help with waiting times etc but know all PCT's have different timescales. This is a brilliant place to be for support and advice and as Snowcrystal says there are lots on here who have had these surgeons so i'm sure someone will be along soon to help,nice to have you on board x

hi and welcome to Mini's . Good luck on your journey :)

Hi paula, welcome to minis. Unfortunatly i'm not in your area, i wanted to say hi. Someone will be along soon don't worry.

Hi Paula, i have no idea but wanted to welcome you and congratulate you on the start of this the most wondrous journey of your lifetime xx

Congratulations on being accepted for surgery. That is the biggest hurdle and you have surpassed it. I hope your surgery is soon.

The Loxwood Centre is where most of the outpatient bariatric appointments are. However, the psychologists prefer to use the rooms in the Chichester Suite.

The Alwyck Bay - where they do the surgery (well where the beds are, not the operating theatre!) is indeed in the Chichester Suite - just around the corner from where you will be having your psych appt. This is a private ward with a little NHS bay - it is very private and the nurses are lovely.

The psychologists are also lovely - check out the new website and you will find out some more info (ask the experts). You will be fine.

Good luck.

Hi

Thankyou for making me so welcome :thankyou: you are all lovely and Its nice to know im not all alone. I think because I have always been the biggest in family, friends, work etc etc I have always felt like im the only one who has a "real" weight problem.

I just hope it all happens really quickly and definately happens. I can't wait to start my new life!!

Thanks

Take Care

Paula XX

Hi,

Sorry I thought I had said doh!! I'm having the Bypass, hopefully laporscopically (god I can't spell). My Psych is on the 25th of September at 12.45p.m. Does anyone know if the Chichester suite is where you go to have the op as well as the consultation. When I saw Guy Slater I went to the Bariatric Department in the Loxwood Centre.

Thanks

Paula XX

Hi Paula
If I were you I would phone preferably on the day to establish exactly where your appointment is being held. I was told the Chichester suite too and spent half an hour running around the hospital after being told at the Chichester Suite - "No its not here try the Chichester Treatment Centre! and them saying no too. In the end I went to Reception and asked them and they said "Well its usually at the the Loxwood Centre". So we leg it over there arriving just after my appointment time to find it WAS at the Loxwood Centre. I actually complained to PALS and got a reply to say the appointment usually are at the Chichester Suite but they couldn't use it that day, hence the Loxwood Centre. So, to save a lot of running around and getting uptight. phone first!!
The psychology appt itself is about an hour long. I saw Janet and she was lovely.
Good luck with the appointment

I see janet fairly regularly and it is usually in the Chichester Suite - there was a blip the other week (must of been when you went) and they had to have the sessions in the Loxwood Centre. I am going on the 25th and have been told the Chichester Suite,but you are right - call and check it is a long walk between the two as they are at opposite ends of the hospital.

Hi,

Now I have decided to drive I will be able to ring and find out where I have to go. Last time I had to go I arrived and hour early, so I will probably be early again. It's my Mum's fault she has instilled this terrible fear of being late so I always leave tons of time incase of disasters!!

Thanks for all your advice

Paula XX

I see janet fairly regularly and it is usually in the Chichester Suite - there was a blip the other week (must of been when you went) and they had to have the sessions in the Loxwood Centre. I am going on the 25th and have been told the Chichester Suite,but you are right - call and check it is a long walk between the two as they are at opposite ends of the hospital.

Tell me about it - it was a very hot day when I went and I felt like I'd completed the London Marathon by the time I eventually got to the right place! Just as well they weren't doing BP checks - mine would have gone off the scale!!

Hi Paula! Welcome to minis and good luck on your WLS journey. This forum is full of great people with personal experience and advice to share . It's good to know that there are people who are totally familiar with what you've been through with weight issues and understand your highs and lows about trying to become slim. All the best and keep us posted xxxx

Back