• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waiting time for op.

pinkelle

Hi all, I know it would vary from place to place but, on average, how long are people waiting from asking to be referrred until they are offered the surgery, have dates for the surgery etc?

I am looking into (perhaps) surgery as a last resort and was just wondering if anyone could help me with these questions?

Is there a minimus BMI? (or a maximum?)

What is the best way to ask your doctor about surgery?

Any info would be of great help.

Thanks. x

What area are you from? The time varies soooooooooooooo much from PCT to PCT. Have a look at the BOSPA website and it'll give guidelines for the PCT you're in. Good luck!!!

Mine's taken about 12 months from first asking my doc, but every area and pct is different:D

I am under Telford and Wrekin PCT. I have had a quick look at BOSPA but have book marked to have a proper nose around tomorrow.

Thanks for all your comments.

x

Hi Pink, Telford follow NICE guidelines which means that you are entitled to bariatric surgery if you have a BMI of 40 or over or 35+ with comorbidities. These are conditions which are made worse by weight i.e diabetes, sleep apnoea, acid reflux, asthma and a few more. Comorbidities aren't necessarily all physical conditions, they could be psychological social or economic, too. If you don't know what your BMI is go to the BOSPA website and you will be able to find out. Good luck Pink. Let us know how you get on, Marion xx

Ooops, I forgot to add that NHS waiting times vary but 9 months - 1 year is about average I think. M xx

It took 11 months just to get my PCT approval but my details were lost and I didnt chase it up. I just expected a long wait. I so regret it now as 1 year on I am still 4 weeks away from seeing an Endocronologist and then I dont know what the next step is. My advice is just ask your Doctor you have nothing to loose and then keep track of things. From what I'm reading on here 1 year from beginning to end seems about average... mine will be longer but I dont think this is the norm... :)

a year is standard in my area.

I am under the same PCT as Candie. My referral was done in December, it took about a week for the funding approval and then 3 months for the first appointment. From referral to op has been 7 months in total. I do think I have been lucky timewise but I have rung the hospital I was referred to at regular intervals and been quite assertive.

You won't get a minus BMI but a healthy BMI is between 20 and 25.

GPs vary greatly but if you do some investigations re: PCT funding criteria and go armed with the facts that would probably be best. If you have a large GP surgery, there may be one of the docs that is more informed weight loss surgery, the receptionist may be able to advise you.

Best of luck to you!

Lx

hi, welcome to our little corner of Mini's :)

Not got much to add to what's already been said, except have a look at the NHS guide here http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html

If the stats in your side bar are correct and your BMI is 61.3, then funding *should* be simple, as NICE guidelines say anyone with a BMI over 50 should be offered surgery as a first line option (i.e. without having to have tried every other diet/medicine/weight management program out there).

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Hi Pink, Telford follow NICE guidelines which means that you are entitled to bariatric surgery if you have a BMI of 40 or over or 35+ with comorbidities. These are conditions which are made worse by weight i.e diabetes, sleep apnoea, acid reflux, asthma and a few more. Comorbidities aren't necessarily all physical conditions, they could be psychological social or economic, too. If you don't know what your BMI is go to the BOSPA website and you will be able to find out. Good luck Pink. Let us know how you get on, Marion xx

Thanks for all this Marion, this is great. Think I will go and see my doctor Thrsday morning when have dropped little one off at nursery. Will keep you all posted though.

Thank you to you all for your help and advice.

I will be doing plenty of homework then plan to see my doctor thursday morning when little one dropped off at nursery.

I am thinking along the lines of a band or balloon as opposed to by-pass as at least they can be reversed if needed, and, for example, the balloon which is only in for 6 months, will give my weight loss a very good boost. But will also be looking into they by-pass option.

A big thankyou to you all for your replies, help and links. I will keep you all informed and updated.

Laura x

Hi, it took me 12 months from GP referal to seeing a consultant. But that was because my appointments kept getting cancelled. My PCT funding was sorted and approved really quickly within just a week or so of seeing the GP, I was rerally suprised how fast that happened. Calderdale PCT say 18 weeks from seeing a consultant to having the operation.

Hope this helps.

Shelbell, just wanted to say that I have just had chance to read your blog. You have done fantastic and look amazing. Well done!! x

Thank you :eek: if i can do it, anyone can!

i saw my gp in september last year iv had a long wate to see phsycologist but have done now and been told im near top of list

Back