• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

waiting for wls

Good luck on your journey.
Marie

update on visit to dietetic department

thought id update on my visit to dietetic department
dunno what i was hopeing for well thats a lie for a start was hopeing she go yes come in well give you surgery (can dream cant i )
well after numerous form filling and what seemed her asking me hundreds of questions me weeping buckets, her confirming what my doctor had written i felt phisically drained
the upshot of it all she now has to refer me to a 12 week group session which she has no idea when there will be one starting but as soon as she knows she will let me know if after the 12 weeks still no improvment then im refered to another therapy thing and if at that stage im still not guarenteed to be recomended for surgery as they feel its a last resort and other things have to be tried first tried to tell her ive been done and tried all and do feel that it is a last chance for me as i feel desperate now
i asked her what was i to do in meantime?? do i still keep trying to lose weight (thought she might hand me a dietsheet)as dieting was having an effect on me bingeing when down and making me put on more weight but i was to ask myself if i really needed to eat when i knew it wasnt hunger as if i dont already do that !:confused:
so came away no further forward if not more disheartened with myself for thinking maybe there was light at the end of the tunnel
so seems im back to square one for the moment trying to think of which diet i will try out this time which i know will be an uphill battle and i dont know if i have the strength to see through

fed up

well its been 2 days since my visit to dietetic dept
and i have felt like crap
the thought of being back on the diet treadmill fills me with fear
but also i cant go on any longer like this i am either going to have to do something or the result if i dont wont be pretty
already at the stage where i am shattered ,every part of my body hurts, have no motivation in fact if i could just curl up in a corner and everything/everybody would go away that would suit me
dont know what or where to turn to next

I am sorry to hear about your experience on 1 July and I can understand and sympathise with your disappointment. I am sure others will be along to offer some sound advice. I just wanted to say try not to give up. This can be a long and drawn out journey but worth it in the end. Sending you:hug99:

tranquil

here we go again

well here we go again back to the diet tredmill not going to give up completly of ever having wls but looks like i have to try and do something to help myself again as i cant just let the weight keep creeping up weighed myself this morning and looks like im upto 24 stone well thats only a guess as scales dont really go any higher but that ruffly about what the dietian weighed me at on thursday so will start from there this is definatly the highest i have ever been and my body knows it suffering from pain constantly (whether walking, getting up from a chair, or even tyeing my own shoe laces )
well cant go on like this or i will end up losing my job and becoming housebound
so today is a new day
will wait and see what happens if/when dietian sends me for her group therapy thing and take it step by step from there as im not going to give up

gonna try and just take it day by day and not stress out too much
have set myself a small target of losing a stone during the next month

Good luck. I have exactly the same fears. I am about the same weight as you and I am getting less mobile as each day passes. I am struggling to keep up with work. I am waiting for the date of my op having been referred over a year ago now. It cannot come soon enough. Please do not give up hope - your time will come.

All the best

tranquil

I know with my PCT if your BMI is 50+ you don't need to go to weight management or see a dietitian. I read it in the nice guidelines, think thats why your fast tracked so to speak. Could be wrong though xxx

Yup, NICE guidelines recommend surgical intervention as a first line treatment option for patients with a BMI > 50 kg/m2.

Regards, Ade.

the way i picked her up last thursday was that she wasnt or couldnt recommend me for any surgery (almost asked what weight did i have to get to before they would) but didn't
only thing she was putting my name forward to was group therapy (which ive done before ) but said i was willing to give it a go again
what got me down was the fact that she didnt seem to know when the next one would start so it could be ages before i hear from her again so hence why i need to try and lose some myself because i and my body cant handle any more weight
might go back to gp and let her know how things went or rather lack of it but think her hands are tied so to speak
yesterday diet wise went ok for me ....anyway no crisps, ice lollys and only 2 triangles of toblerone just need to get rid of the bread (thats my downfall )but what bread i did have no butter on it (huge thing for me ) so will just keep taking it one day at a time

disapointed with myself

well truly dissapointed in myself cant last a full day without eating something i shouldnt once again cant be trusted
and once i was on that slope it just kept on getting steeper .....
yet again i fail ......feel such a waste of space .....
here we go again another day where i cant stop thinking about food .........

whoop

well wednesday was a better day managed to stay on track and not eat anything i shouldnt have ( no crisps, chocolate ,biscuits ) hopefully today will go the same way as i plan on doing the same as yesterday (fingers crossed )
since im at home most of today i'm gonna try going on my exercise bike today havnt done that in ages will have to clear it from the piles of clothes that seem to have found their way on to it (think i was trying to hide it ):rolleyes: even if i do a little its better than nowt ....

another whoop

well got through thursday .......again no crap passed my lips .....:) well pleased (but the vending machine at work wasnt too happy )
didnt manage to get on bike (hundreds of excuses not too)and 2 many to list
knees and hips are sore today but going to try and stay positive

Well done on yesterday. Take one day at a time. Have you thought about going back to your GP and asking if there is anything that can be done given what happened when you went to the clinic?

tranquil

yeah thought about that yesterday as my knees and hips are getting worse but not done anything about it yet
even might ask her to give me exenical/orlistat again had twice before (manage to lose some weight on it then weightloss stopped )but might be just the boost i need to get me started or see if she can recommend something else anything would be a benefit at the moment

I read your post about your dietetic appt a few days ago but I didn't have the time when I read it to post a comment. I wanted to give you a big virtual <<< :hug99:>>> because you sounded so down.
I totally sympathise, it really is awful that she (dietician) didn't seem to know they way forward for you, no wonder you felt extra depressed & were turning to food for comfort :eating:...although well done you for getting back on track & being a virtuous young lady in the last few days!!!
I agree with tranquil_butterfly, I think you should go back to your GP and explain what a disappointment the experience was.
I don't know what the rules or regulations are in Scotland but there certainly must be resources that your GP can access to find out exactly what the criteria is or how they can actually get you referred & in the system. As I understand it, Scotland doesn't make it easy for those that ask for WLS, but that's not to say you wouldn't eventually get it.
I think having a heart-to-heart with your GP may be a way forward; be as open & honest as you can with how your weight is effecting you life, how ill & debilitated it makes you, fears over work, your future mobility & independence etc. Try to really get your GP on your side & to get them on the case properly with finding out the way forward for WLS in your area. Oviously this is going to take time, and although the waiting is a killer, if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I persoannly feel it makes it easier to bear.
The other thing I wanted to mention but is there any possibility to fund it yourself? I obviously don't know your personal circumstances, so if that was a totally ridiculous statement, sorry:d'oh:! Personally however, if I wasn't as totally broke as I currently am, I would have got a loan or re-mortgaged the house or bl**dy anything to get the surgery quicker, but I do appreciate for most of us it simply isn't an option.
In my experience so far, things can change from one week to the next so keep strong, go back to your GP & let us know how you get on xxx

update

had to go to the doctors today well the nurse practioner about my swollen leg glad i did as it seems i have cellulitis and if id left it any longer would have been taken straight away to hospital in an ambulance not quite sure how i got it yet as i dont have any cuts
anyways i have to take a strong course of anti biotics and go back in 2 days unless it gets worse if it does go straight to a&e
when there thought id mention about dietician appointment and how not very forthcoming i thought it had been and that id not heard from them
she had a look at my file (the wonders of computors) and her words were she should have been back in touch she asked if id phoned them i said yip keep getting answering machine so she got on the phone there and then and spoke to her could tell by her face she wasnt happy what she was hearing when she came off the phone she said there hadnt been any group meeting arranged yet and they didnt know when they would be and she was going (the dietican) to speak to her boss to see if there was anything else they could offer in the meantime and that she would be in contact with me (still not holding out much hope ) but nurse said give her the benefit of doubt and see what happens and if not she will keep pestering her (thought to myself at least she's on my side )
also think i will ask if i can go to the surgery even if its only once a month to get weighed as my scales playing up (lose one day put more on the next day )that way will have a record that im trying to lose weight myself
feeling a bit more upbeat today even though my leg is killing me

sorry about the long post and the many spelling mistakes

Welcome...great news about your letter.. Wishing you all the best on your new journey

have just been back to nurse with regards to the cellulitus its on the mend thank god was a bit worried for a min
on the weight part she's agreed to weigh me every 2 weeks to see if that helps as my scales are playing up so much but i have lost weight since the last time she weighed me
so that might help keep me on the straight and narrow
also she cant understand why dietitian is dragging her heels as she's reffered others who didnt weigh as much as me and they have all had surgery so still a waiting game for me im afraid :sigh:
have decided to start a savings fund in case im going to have to pay for it myself (mind you gonna take me forever .....mind u i might win the lottery .....fine chance ) so if any of you know anyone who has a few spare £s who wanna donate it to a good cause let me know (hehe i will put it to good use ) :D

Last edited:
Back