• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Was I silly to say 'No' ?

mrsfarm2000

I had my NHS funding approved in July and a ten minute consultation with my surgeon in August. An appointment was made for 17th November to see the dietician and then I had a phone call from Heartlands to arrange a drop-in visit to see the bariatric team's dietician during the October half term. That seemed fine to me and not too long to wait.Things were obviously moving.
Today I had another 'phone call from Heartlands to say that they had some extra Saturday surgery dates at another hospital in Birmingham - same surgeon. They offered me 22nd October ! I didn't know what to say and said that surely they wouldn't operate without me having first spoken to other people in the loop, and explained that I had only had this one appointment so far.
That date is only 2.5 weeks away so what about pre op diet etc? Anyway, foolishly,or not, I turned it down and said I would like to meet with more people before taking that final step. I know some people have waited for ages but instinct told me that this wasn't right. I would value any opinions.

hmmmm instinct, was it to say no, or just shock and worry?

Some may say that you were silly to turn it down, but you have to have everything set in your mind to go ahead with this and that is obviously what made your mind up and needing to speak to others before you go ahead.

I am sure that you will know when the time is right for you. :)

No Caren, just surprised that they were willing to operate after one short consultation , even though the same person I spoke to today told me previously that they liked all prospective patients to speak with other members of the team before surgery.

Can you ring them back and ask if I can have it lol x

No Caren, just surprised that they were willing to operate after one short consultation , even though the same person I spoke to today told me previously that they liked all prospective patients to speak with other members of the team before surgery.
well if you feel you've made the right decision then thats that! Go to all the other appointments and get it set in your head first :) xxx

I had my op at 6 days notice & my liver was fine, but I had been to more appointments than you & knew it was right for me. If you don't think it is for you, then you did right to refuse it. This operation is more than the physical side of it ... you have to be in the right mind set too. It will come round for you again x :)

Must of been abit of a shock hun, but if you feel you need more info and speak to others before you make your decision that right for you, they will give you another date, its something you need to research and not go into lightly as its life changing. xx

You have to do what is right for you dont beat yourself up about it if you are not ready - you are not ready good luck x

It's major surgery and a massive lifestyle change. Don't beat yourself up about wanting to be fully prepared. You made the right decision for you.

Well seeing as the window has been closed the point is moot, though they probably figured that after three months you knew whether or not you were ready. It was your decision and if you're happy with it then our opinions are not worth a can of beans, but I'd have grabbed that sucker with both hands and clung on for dear life.

Let's hope you don't now have too many months to reconsider your decision and that you make your mind up either to go ahead or let someone who is sure have your funding x good luck

I had my NHS funding approved in July and a ten minute consultation with my surgeon in August. An appointment was made for 17th November to see the dietician and then I had a phone call from Heartlands to arrange a drop-in visit to see the bariatric team's dietician during the October half term. That seemed fine to me and not too long to wait.Things were obviously moving.
Today I had another 'phone call from Heartlands to say that they had some extra Saturday surgery dates at another hospital in Birmingham - same surgeon. They offered me 22nd October ! I didn't know what to say and said that surely they wouldn't operate without me having first spoken to other people in the loop, and explained that I had only had this one appointment so far.
That date is only 2.5 weeks away so what about pre op diet etc? Anyway, foolishly,or not, I turned it down and said I would like to meet with more people before taking that final step. I know some people have waited for ages but instinct told me that this wasn't right. I would value any opinions.

MrsF

Everyone is different and if you feel the decision you made was right,then you made the right choice by saying no.

It's good that you want to seek more advice before going ahead with surgery as we all know it's a massive decision.

I wish you all the best and hope that when you decide you want the op....you get your funding soon afterwards

Take Care

Andy x

You always have to go with your initial instinct hun. I really believe you did the right thing, if you felt is was too early, then maybe it was.
Best of luck with your journey
Kim x

I think you did the right thing for you and for what it's worth, I would have probably done the same thing. I think you're brave for saying no to something you want so much, because you believe in preparation. It will change your life and if you go into it with only half the info, you'll struggle with the first hurdle.
Good luck and best wishes for your journey, however long it takes. x

the frustrating part for me is that i am with the same surgeon, been waiting a month longer, ex bandster,, want and need this badly, and seem to have been completely passed over... telephone call 9.00am tomorrow me thinks! cannot figure out why mrsf, would get the call and not i (we are friends by the way and have discussed this today) any ideas anyone ??

the frustrating part for me is that i am with the same surgeon, been waiting a month longer, ex bandster,, want and need this badly, and seem to have been completely passed over... telephone call 9.00am tomorrow me thinks! cannot figure out why mrsf, would get the call and not i (we are friends by the way and have discussed this today) any ideas anyone ??

People have different post op needs. Some might require a bed to be booked in the HDU, whereas others can go straight onto the ward.
Some patients may have co morbidities which require extra attention from the anaesthatist. Maybe extra staff on hand. Surgery might be thought to take longer. Chances of open surgery may be higher.
Surgeon could also want some of his students to be present when a particular patient is to be operated on, because something in their history would provide a valuable learning experience for the med students perhaps?

Surgeon might just not like you. ;)

haha...... everyone likes me !! but you could have a point on the tutorial side, as i have had a gastric band and had it removed due to complications, i may have adhesions, and if so will have a sleeve instead! as the band had attached to my liver, this may be the case...... thanks for feedback

WOW, I'm going to bed now and going to pray that I get a call offering me surgery in 2 weeks time. I have waited 2 years so far and still don't have a date. If someone had offered it to me after 3 months I'd have bitten their arm off.
But if you don't think you're ready someone else will be glad of your slot x

Back