• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what a waste of time that was

novamay

Born Free
Just got back from SRH. Registrar told me that they were suspending my application for surgery as I had not yet seen the shrink. They also haven't had results back from Darlington Memorial Hospital for sleep apnea.

They could have told me this over the phone surely; and I could have been weighed at a later date. but oh no, that's too simple. The nurse said at my first appointment that the wait for the shrink wouldn't stop them putting me on the list... well, she needs to rethink that.... cos it obviously does. I am really fed up now. I see the shrink on Friday, so do I then have to wait ANOTHER FOUR OR FIVE MONTHS for another appointment with the surgeon? I was too shocked/speechless to ask any questions of the registrar.

on a positive note - I got weighed and have lost 19lbs (which is over the wl target) and they were pleased with that.

So very frustrating for you. I'm in a similar boat so I know where you are coming from.

Congrats on your weight loss, you have done really well. :)

Once you have seen the shrink Friday and as once they tell you that they support your claim for surgery etc it might be worth giving SRH a call and telling them this and to expect a report and it may sway the decision in your favor, if nowt else its worth a try Hun eh . All the best xxx

Thanks for letting me vent....

Its just so frustrating. I had to leave work early when I'm really busy and go all the way there for a two minute conversation that could have been done over the phone, or by letter - or they could have just postponed the session until next week... they've surely got a record somewhere that the appointment date was before the shrink session!!! To be honest, if I'd been told it would hold up the process then I wouldn't have asked for counselling - its not compulsory. I just feel so deflated after all the build up prior to the appointment - stressing out over every pound on or off; not being able to plan anything in case I get an appointment date through which will clash with a holiday or something.

Feel like its back to the drawing board.

OMG I have my first appointment with the dietician on Friday I hope that from there I dont have as much hassle as everyone who is going to SRH appears to be having on this forum.

How many hoops do they like you to jump through. Do they not realise that most people who have been referred for this surgery have researched it realise it's not an easy fix and is a lifetimes commitment.

We all have baggage both in fat and emotional and to be honest seeing a shrink isn't going to change this overnight. It just feels as if they are trying to add more delaying tactics. I understand the want for these ops has dramatically increased over the past few years but come on let us in.

Sorry for ranting but just felt I needed to.

Also does anyone know if you are allowed to record your appointments as I just wanted to record what is said so that I can be sure I don't miss anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Good luck with getting this sorted. I hate the way there is no feelings for the fact that this means a hell of a lot to people. Feels like we are just another NHS number at times. Very frustrating!

Let us know how you get on x

Good luck with getting this sorted. I hate the way there is no feelings for the fact that this means a hell of a lot to people. Feels like we are just another NHS number at times. Very frustrating!

Let us know how you get on x

Fuffs we are all numbers, mine is something like £10,000 i should imagine....

I have just read this and the post by Kevin about some hospital in America giving away wls as a prize.

Nova I feel for you but please keep going.

The reality is that some NHS providers do use wls as cash cows. I had a long drawn out battle with my provider and at a meeting I had with them I told them bluntly that wls was a cash cow. They didn't deny it and in fact went on to tell me how they intended to make it even more profitable for them in the future.

Those in charge of the money will see the patients as numbers and they will find ways to keep the cash flowing at a steady rate. So you will encounter internal gate keeping - for example at WM they suddenly introduced that you had to see the psychologist before you were put on the waiting list automatically building in an extra 6 to 9 months. This aids their cash flow. There are other ways and means - 'losing' people in the system - manipulating waiting lists etc. They get away with it because we are so desperate for the help we put up with anything. That will always be the case unless you are prepared to put your head above the parapet and be prepared to have it shot off which most people are not prepared to do.

I am afraid this is the reality of the modern NHS we are all paying for.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nova but it may help you to understand why something like you have experienced has happened.

tranquil x

Yeah I understand why it happened - "P-up in a Brewery" springs immediately to mind.

Back