• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Was I silly to say 'No' ?

mrsfarm2000 said:
I had my NHS funding approved in July and a ten minute consultation with my surgeon in August. An appointment was made for 17th November to see the dietician and then I had a phone call from Heartlands to arrange a drop-in visit to see the bariatric team's dietician during the October half term. That seemed fine to me and not too long to wait.Things were obviously moving.
Today I had another 'phone call from Heartlands to say that they had some extra Saturday surgery dates at another hospital in Birmingham - same surgeon. They offered me 22nd October ! I didn't know what to say and said that surely they wouldn't operate without me having first spoken to other people in the loop, and explained that I had only had this one appointment so far.
That date is only 2.5 weeks away so what about pre op diet etc? Anyway, foolishly,or not, I turned it down and said I would like to meet with more people before taking that final step. I know some people have waited for ages but instinct told me that this wasn't right. I would value any opinions.

No not silly you need to wait till you are ready! Good luck it won't b long now!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had my NHS funding approved in July and a ten minute consultation with my surgeon in August. An appointment was made for 17th November to see the dietician and then I had a phone call from Heartlands to arrange a drop-in visit to see the bariatric team's dietician during the October half term. That seemed fine to me and not too long to wait.Things were obviously moving.
Today I had another 'phone call from Heartlands to say that they had some extra Saturday surgery dates at another hospital in Birmingham - same surgeon. They offered me 22nd October ! I didn't know what to say and said that surely they wouldn't operate without me having first spoken to other people in the loop, and explained that I had only had this one appointment so far.
That date is only 2.5 weeks away so what about pre op diet etc? Anyway, foolishly,or not, I turned it down and said I would like to meet with more people before taking that final step. I know some people have waited for ages but instinct told me that this wasn't right. I would value any opinions.

This whole journey is a very personal thing, a lot of people would have jumped at the chance to be done early or even been thrilled to be offered the chance.

However for you you decided to wait, get more info and make sure that your head is in the right place...thats good. The place would have been given to someone else so no harm done:D

It would have been dreadful if you'd said yes..taken up the slot and then changed your mind...then no one would have benefitted from the op.

You will be offered another op and in your heart you will know that the time is right.

Best wishes

Thank you all for your replies. I have thought of nothing else all day and am sure that for now I have made the right decision. Hopefully the appointment will have been given to someone who has been waiting a lot longer than me.

Back