• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Water got stuck

MrsPill

So today I was drinking some water while my Heinz Tomato was heating in the microwave and it got stuck. I felt awful. It kept going down and coming back up again then going down etc etc etc. I guess this was like a PBing episode with plain water. Eventually it went down and after about 1hr I tried sipping water and it went down...no pain. Phoned my nurse who was so lovely and she calmed me down.
I've had the soup 3 hours later .
Has anyone had this before?

I never have had this with water! I've never heard of it with water unless people are too tight.

This has been happening to me over the last week, even swallowing saliva was too much and it came back up (thankfully today I've turned a corner and things are much better). Did you drink it to quickly and it struggled to go through? I'm glad it finally passed as it is scary. xx

Oh Sarah, I'm so glad you replied. I'm only 7days post-op and my nurse thought I'd gulped it too fast and on reflection I think I probably did although it was an unconscious action. I had taken a two gulps out of the top of a small bottle of water ready to put some NAS squash in and it was also freezing. What a horrible feeling! I was quite upset because I thought if I can't keep water down what hope have I got with real food!
But my nurse ( who is a saint) talked me down off the ceiling and said I was see how it went and if I needed a barium xray she would organise it and that my surgeons were on hand, if need be, 24hrs a day. But I guess if there is no pain then I should be ok and also the fluids are going in now ok. Sorry to go on....it just panicked me. Crikey- I'm going to be committed if I carry on like this!

Oh dear hun no wonder you were scared !

Stick to sipping and you will be fine x

if you had of been a more long term bander i would of said your band was too tight, given that your only 7 days post op id say your tummy would still be internally swollen giving maximum restriction and with that and gulping the water is going in quicker than it can possibly pass through your band, stick to sipping as your stiill in the very early stages of healing x

Thanks everyone...x
I had been doing so well...all the drinks were going through fine but its hard to get your head around new habits...slowing down etc. But this morning my protein shake is going down fine so I'm a bit happier.
I have a hunch it was the way I had been sitting for a good couple of hours all hunched up over my computer and its almost like I'd squashed my stomach around my band and it got a bit swollen. Maybe posture does come into it.
Anyway, I appreciate all your views.

And yes TB, my providers have been excellent...my nurse is an absolute saint and she is only 20minutes down the road in Edinburgh. That takes a load off let me tell you!

backup is very important, glad u r sorted and more calmer

Yes- PBing is Productive Burping when you bring food back up but it hasn't gone into your stomach so its not been digested! It comes back up exactly the way it went down! Usually because you ate too fast or too much or its too lumpy and won't go through.
I was upset last week because water wasn't going through and it really panicked me but my band just tightened up and it was fine a couple of hours later. Its not a nice feeling.

Mrs Pill, so pleased you are ok, I've gulped water, or soup too fast but only got some wind pain. It does make you realise how fast you can eat, and makes you more 'mindful' of eating/drinking more slowly, or it does to me anyway, lol! Hope it's just a 'noe off'.
xxxx sharon

Back