• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food geting stuck in wind pipe

e.green69

HI ALL
i am just real scared some of my food is getting stuck in my wind pipe and this morning i nerly passed out with it..
i drank water to try and push it down and that was awful..
i am still in pain now in my chest..
has any1else had this? would love any feedback on this.
im 3weeks post band
emma

hi
i am 6mths post bypass and occasionally i experience that it is usually when i have eaten too much in one go or too fast and not given it time to pass through. i tried water and that made it worse as you are forcing the food through. if it happens now i just wait for it to pass which isn't long.
hope that helps.
alison :)

You have just eaten something too quickly or too big for it to pass through your band hun, I have had this a couple of times. It will pass, honestly but you just have to be patient and in the meantime, yes, it does feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest!!

hi allie
thats a very good description hun.. yes i have got to slow down.. it was an awful feeling..
how are you?
emmax

hi emma,

Just another thing: at 3 weeks post banding, you should be on soft mushy foods. If it got stuck, I wonder if you were eating something that was the wrong consistency. I ate all the wrong foods, forgot to chew, and ate too much... And this caused so much swelling around my band that I couldn't even get water down and had to have a de-fill. When I met the people at WLS, they said I had really been challenging my band - mainly due to a huge lack of good advice from WGA.

When eating, take mouthfulls that are sugarcube sized, put your fork down, and chew chew chew.

Hope that helps,

Alice xx

Yes Caroline, it was. I only moved to WLS last weekend. They seem so good, and Wendy is lovely. It's such a relief to actually trust my providers!!

Hi , i often get that feeling of food being stuck tend to find it with more solid food or things that expand such as pasta and bread. also eating slower helps and stopping when you start to feel full as that one extra spoon is enough to knock you sick. I'm sure it will get easier once you get use to your new eating habits. good luck with it x

thanks alice,tammy and caroline
i am in so much pain still from yesterday so i am going to go to docs 2day..
i didnt eat after yesterday i was so scared i think iv done someting as i have just had water and that really hurt also..
emma x

hi tammy
the doctor said my foodpipe is bruised and i am full of wind..
still killing but im sure it will pass soon..
takecare hun
emma

HI ALL
i am just real scared some of my food is getting stuck in my wind pipe and this morning i nerly passed out with it..
i drank water to try and push it down and that was awful..
i am still in pain now in my chest..
has any1else had this? would love any feedback on this.
Hello Emma. I have been getting this for most of my life. If I eat food that is rough, such as raw carrot, it gets stuck and a clear muscus comes up. If it doesn't go down, I dry retch until it is removed. Very unpleasant. It usually happens when I am a bit tired. Anything like your condition?

i know this is not the answer or a recommendation but if i get something that stuck i make myself sick although i didnt really get it untill 3 or 4 months post band and if your going to try and get things thru with liquid drink something hot it seems to work better. just cut things into smaller mouthfulls and eat slowly you may find that there are already foods you cant eat and it could be that this was one of them

Back