• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weighing Scales

EmDubs

Bleurgh...!
Hi all,

Just a quickie... I have 2 sets of weighing scales; one digital and one mechanical. By me getting off one and straight onto the other there is a half stone difference and I don't know which ones to believe.

As if weight loss isn't stressful enough!

Please help!

xXx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Try testing them both with a couple of bags of sugar or something with a known weight.

Dont the scales do your head in love..try what Rose has suggested and let us know how you get on. xxx

So... I tried both the scales with 2x1kg bags of sugar. The mechanical ones say 2kgs and the digital ones say 2.1kgs.

I tried this 3 times with the same results.

I think I may have to muster up the courage to go to the nearest Boots and use their machine but usually when I weigh myself I'm in thin trousers and a lounging T-shirt, not jeans and boots!

How old are the mechanical scales ? Although the sugar weighed the same, any error will be magnified the heavier the weight is. My bet will be that the digital ones are the most accurate.

I forgot to mention that the digital scales usually fluctuate when I get off them and get straight back on. Today for an example according to them I had magically found 4lbs that I didn't have this morning, yet the mechanical ones have stayed the same since last night. I so desperately want to believe the mechanical ones because they're showing the lightest weight but if that is how much I am now then why can't I feel it i.e looser clothing etc?

My digital scales do the same ! They do need a good solid surface. If the four corners aren't sitting evenly that can affect the results. Not easy is it !

I have them in my kitchen on the cold floor so it's a hard surface. My Husband don't know what to make of them either which is why the others were bought yesterday and now we're both even more confused!

I used a completely different set of mechanical ones yesterday evening too and they corresponded with my mechanical ones.

Why would there be such a big difference between them? So misleading!

My digital scales were all over the place and about half a stone out from the hospital ones, even with a new battery. I threw them out, and bought salter mechanical doctor scales - much more accurate, reliable and well worth the money. They match the hospital scales.

Get boots or your doctors to confirm which one is the most accurate and then bin the others, unless of course you fance a good weeks weightloss by weighing in the first time on the heavier scales and a week later on the lighter lol.

2003 article but interesting non the less x

Balancing act
We weigh up the best bathroom scales and body-fat monitors
The Guardian, Thursday 7 August 2003
The latest bathroom scales are sleek, sophisticated and bursting with hi-tech gadgetry designed to work out how much body fat you have. But how well do they work?

If you are not content with torturing yourself by daily weigh-ins, you can now - in theory at least - buy a body-fat monitor (no, it is not the skinny kid at school who calls out rude things at chubbier classmates). These machines use a harmless electrical impulse to work out how much body fat you have (see the questions people ask, right), but only the Rosemary Conley monitor got the percentage body fat right, and then only on one of the two testers. The other monitors were way off the mark - some under or over-estimating body fat by as much as 10.4%, which could be the difference between being over or under weight.

The Good Housekeeping Institute tested five body-fat monitors, six sets of mechanical bathroom scales and seven electronic scales. Three volunteers of varying weights (51kg/8st to 89kg/14st) were weighed first on an Avery professional weighing platform and then on each of the 18 machines. As a benchmark for the body-fat monitors, two female volunteers used the Bod Pod at the clinical nutrition laboratory at London Metropolitan University to calculate their percentage body fat.

Researchers weighed up to 2.5kg less when using the bathroom scales on carpet rather than hard flooring. As well as saying which ones are kinder or harsher on soft flooring, we have noted where manufacturers say they can be used on hard flooring only. For each machine there is a score for accuracy as well as an overall score that takes in ease of use - including the size of the standing area, size of read-out and (with electronic scales) time taken to set up before a weight shows in the read-out. All electronic scales and body-fat monitors come with batteries (except Terraillon TS7100), have low-battery indicators, automatic set up and switch off, and weighed in kilograms, pounds or stones. Dimensions are given in height x width x depth.

Mechanical

Hanson H390
£9.99
Score: 66/100

Technical data: White plastic platform. Dimensions: 4x30x26.5cm; size of display: 8.5x4.5cm; size of numbers: 4-8mm high; maximum weight: 120kg/19st.
Accuracy: 50/100.

Pros: No difference in weight between carpet and hard floor. Shows weight instantly.
Cons: Platform too small to take size-12 feet - toes hang over the edge. Hard to set to zero accurately. Basic instructions supplied on box only.
Verdict/stockists: Very cheap and gives the same weight on carpet and hard flooring.
Stockists: 01923 261 260; www.hanson.com

Salter 146
£25
71/100

Technical data: Metal platform. Dimensions: 6x32x35cm; size of display: 13cm diameter; size of numbers: 8mm high; maximum weight: 130kg/20st 5lb. Suitable for carpets and hard floor.

Accuracy: 60/100.

Pros: Large, easy-to-read dial. Weighs similar on carpet and hard floor (40g difference).
Cons: Dirt trap around the footpad. Very basic instructions supplied.
Verdict/stockists: Best of the mechanical scales, good value.
Stockists: 01732 354 828; www.salterhousewares.com

Dualit 87003
£79.99
Score: 57/100

Technical data: Metal platform with non-slip rubber foot strips. Dimensions: 14x27x34cm; size of display: 14cm diameter; size of numbers: 4-7mm high; maximum weight: 160kg/25st.
Accuracy: 45/100.

Pros: Zero is at the far side of the scale so your weight is closer to you and therefore easier to read.
Cons: Large and bulky. Non-slip ridges on platform could be dirt traps. Weighs heavier on carpets (1.2kg). Platform too small to take size-12 feet - toes hang over edge. No instructions supplied.
Verdict/Stockists: Expensive, very easy to read.
Stockists: 01293 652 500; www.dualit.com

Salter Academy Professional 200
£80
Score: 69/100

Technical data: Steel platform. Dimensions: 11.5x46x32cm; size of display: 18.5cm diameter; size of numbers: 8mm high; maximum weight: 150kg/23st 7lb. Recommended for hard flooring only.
Accuracy 50/100.

Pros: Largest dial display. Very substantial and sturdy. Can fit size-12 feet on the platform.
Cons: Weighs slightly lighter the heavier you are (1.42kg under true weight with our 89kg volunteer). Weighs more accurately on carpet than hard floor. Large dial but still difficult to read graduations accurately. Bulky to store.
Verdict/Stockists: Built to last.

Electronic

Hanson HL 99
£25
Score: 80/100

Technical data: Silver plastic platform. Dimensions: 5x37x36cm; size of LCD display: 6.5x3cm; size of numbers: 22mm high; battery type: 1x lithium CR2032; max weight: 140kg/22st. Recommended for hard flooring only.
Accuracy: 90/100.

Pros: Good accuracy. Weighs the same on carpet and floor. Gives the fastest reading of electronic scales (four seconds). It is lightweight and comfy to carry; non-slip dimples. Error display tells you if the weight is unbalanced.
Cons: Curved platform makes you feel unbalanced when weighing. Need pointed implement to change between metric and imperial weights.
Verdict/stockists: Good value digital scale.
Stockists: 01923 261 260; www.hanson.com

Terraillon TS7 100
£50
Score: 76/100

Technical data: Natural stone platform. Dimensions: 6x30.5x36cm; size of LCD display: 15x3.5cm; size of numbers: 24mm high; battery type: 1 x 9 volt; maximum weight: 150kg/24 st. Recommended for hard flooring only.
Accuracy: 80/100.

Pros: Gives the same weight on carpet and floor. Marble-effect platform is good for larger feet. Useful error display to tell you if the weight is unbalanced or overloaded. Easy to change between metric and imperial using sliding control in battery compartment.
Cons: Maroon glass display and red numbers hard to read.
Verdict/stockists: Modern design.
Stockists: 01923 261 260; www.terraillon.com

Salter 9986
£85
Score: 85/100

Technical data: Glass platform. Dimensions: 4x30x30cm; size of LCD display: 6.2x2.5cm; size of numbers: 22mm high; battery type: 2 x lithium CR2032; maximum weight: 150kg/23st 7lb.

Pros: Weighs the same on carpets and hard floors. Platform is a good size for larger feet. Only need a light tap on the platform to turn the scales on. Useful error display to tell you if the weight is unbalanced or overloaded.
Cons: Gives the slowest weight reading of the electronic scales (6.8 seconds). Etched glass surface could be slippery when wet. Need pointed implement to change between metric and imperial weights.
Verdict/stockists: Pricey but accurate - the best scale.

Soehnle Zeta 63578
£99.95
Score: 82/100

Technical data: Glass platform. Dimensions: 5.5x30x30cm; size of LCD display: 7.1x3.2cm; size of numbers: 25mm high; battery type: 4x AAA; maximum weight: 150kg/19 st.

Pros: Very accurate - weight of volunteers varied by only 10g when measured on hard floor. Large platform is a good size for larger feet. Only needs a light tap on the platform to switch the scales on.
Cons: Double glass platform is very heavy and may be slippery when wet.
Verdict/stockists: Good for larger feet. Stockists: 0870 010 8507; www.scalesexpress.com

Body-fat monitors
Rosemary Conley Bodycare RC-BFS02
£59.99
Score: 74/100

Technical data: White/grey plastic. Dimensions: 5x30x30cm; size of LCD display on remote control: 4.5X3.5cm; size of numbers: 12mm high, battery: 3 x AA; 2 x AAA (for remote); max weight: 140kg/22st. Ten memory settings.
Accuracy: 90/100, body-fat: 90/100.

Pros: Most accurate model at calculating body fat. Weighs the same on carpet and floor. Suitable for larger feet. Removable remote-control handset. Easy to change between metric and imperial weights. Useful body-care booklet with diet and fitness plan.
Cons: Slowest of the body-fat monitors to calculate weight (26.5 seconds). Need to keep handset in line with platform to ensure you don't get an error reading. Long-winded to programme.
Verdict/stockists: Most accurate body-fat monitor.
Stockists: 01509 620 444; Exclusive to Boots and Rosemary Conley direct.
www.rosemaryconley.co.uk

Tanita BF576
£89.99
Score: 70/100

Technical data: Glass platform. Dimensions: 4 x 35x35cm; size of LCD display: 6 x 4cm; size of numbers: 25mm high; battery type: 4 x AA; maximum weight: 150kg/23 stone 8lb. Number of memory settings: 4. Recommended for hard flooring only.
Weighing accuracy: 90/100, body fat accuracy: 30/100.

Pros: Weights accurate with minimal difference between carpet and floor. Fastest of the body-fat monitors to calculate body fat (eight seconds). Suitable for large feet. Good instructions and body-fat manual. Useful error display. Guest-only mode for one-off reading.
Cons: Up to 9% difference when calculating body fat on one tester.
Verdict/stockists: Expensive, with some useful features.
Stockists: 0800 731 6994; www.tanita.co.uk

Also tested:

Mechanical

Hanson H970C: £9.99, 65/100
Hanson Professional 20103: £16.75, 45/100

Electronic

Soehnle Lyra 63601: £75.95, 76/100

Terraillon TX 1000: £35.99, 61/100

Paula Radcliffe Health and Wellbeing from Winterwarm GS31: £39.99, 54/100

Body-fat monitors

Soehnle Body Balance Barcelona: £59.99, 59/100

Hanson HFX 50: £59.99, 51/100

Paula Radcliffe Health and Wellbeing from Winterwarm BF50: £54.99, 49/100

I have digital scales and depending on where i put them on the tiled floor before anyhting is even on them it comes up sayin 4.4lbs!! How dare they judge me before im even on them ahahaha!! although when in the right position they weigh me exactly to how my surgeons scales do.... ive never had mechanical ones as with bending down to read them through bad eyes the wieght things bounces around haha

xx

Lol!

Ain't it a nightmare?!

Well I have had it independently confirmed on the scales at the local gym (Goodness I bricked it going in there!)

I will officially now confirm I have lost 5kgs in a month. (I'm going by kgs as that is what my Surgeon used.)

Is that good?

Well done !

In regards to the scales, they are evil! I have binned mine and now rely only on Boots once a week. And trust me I live a more peaceful existence since I threw those damn things out!

Back