• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss in first 8 weeks?

So, based on a disastrous post surgery decision to weigh myself about a week after my op and finding I had lost 1/2 a pound and being incredibly disappointed, I gave my scales to my mum for safe keeping. It has had the benefit of me not being able to jump on them ad hoc and drive myself mad with what i have/haven't lost but the drawback of me not actually knowing if this is working. I had already lost 3 and half stone pre-op (including the pre-op diet) so had already switched into clothes the next size down the week after my bypass so I actually have no gauge at all as to how well (or not I am doing). I have had no problems with dumping, little issue with restriction, no tiredness at all, in fact I am desperate to start doing some more heavy duty exercise but before I left hospital was told to just keep it to walking until my 8 week check up. So....... my question is if you had a bypass how much did you lose in the first 8 weeks, or however far along you are now if you aren't at 8 weeks yet? I need to hear good news stuff to stop me driving myself mad with sheer uncertainty over the next 4 and half weeks.:confused:

Look, its not relevant how much other people have lost at 8 weeks post op. Some will have lost stacks more than you and others much less but none of that matters.tim

I had the exact same feelings. I was convinced I was the 1 person it wouldn't have worked for. I nearly drove myself insane weighing every time I passed the scales so I threw them out too. All that matters is that you are following your providers instructions and then you absolutely can not fail.

It's easier said than done I know but just relax and enjoy the fact that this is the start of a whole new relationship with food and you will find when you next get weighed that you get a nice surprise x

Look, its not relevant how much other people have lost at 8 weeks post op. Some will have lost stacks more than you and others much less but none of that matters.tim

I had the exact same feelings. I was convinced I was the 1 person it wouldn't have worked for. I nearly drove myself insane weighing every time I passed the scales so I threw them out too. All that matters is that you are following your providers instructions and then you absolutely can not fail.

It's easier said than done I know but just relax and enjoy the fact that this is the start of a whole new relationship with food and you will find when you next get weighed that you get a nice surprise x
It may well be an individual thing and I accept that it is, but I am interested to know so that makes it relevant. Thanks for your response though. Always good to get a broad perspective. :)

Hi I didn't loose for the first 3 weeks but then it kicked in, so in 8 weeks I lost 2 stone.
It will work, just people's loss kicks in at different times. Good luck x

I stalled in and off in the first 8 weeks - on and off for the last 8.5 months in fact - and there have been times I've been pulling my hair out. But I've lost nearly 9 stone in total and I've had the classic scenario where pounds haven't gone but inches have.

I TOTALLY understand your feeling how you do but honestly, hang on in there and you will have lots of pleasant surprises along the way xx

Unfortunately this weight loss business will drive you nuts. Everyone is so different, but its so hard not to compare. I lost 31 lbs in the first 8 weeks. I miss those days, because in the last 8 weeks I've lost 10 lbs, lol. So far I've lost 8 1/2 stone in 9 months.

Last edited:
I have stalls all the time, I was at about 6 weeks on my first I didn't lose anything for three weeks and completely freaked out, I was thinking why have I done this to myself, it's not even working. I felt really sorry for myself, the next week I lost 8 pounds! I'm 6 months in now and have lost 50% of my excess weight (6st 5lbs) it's still the same weeks with nothing then loads in one go. Hang on in there, it will work out in the end. Some will have lost more than me some less but I'm happy with the direction I'm heading in xx

Thanks everyone. I am following my provider advice to the letter and I know it has to work but I am so results driven that denying myself results (which I think i need to at the moment) is not good for my equilibrium. Always inspiring to know how others have done. It helps to keep my focused. Thanks for sharing x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi there blondejane
Seems 2 stone is quite consistant cus I lost that post op by week 8 tho like the others I also stalled a lot at the beginning.

Was like my whole body was saying:
"whaaat!!!! is this going to continue????should I do something different???"

Hi Jane,

Just to echo what others have said, everyone is different, and will lose at different speeds depending on their starting weight and body. This is just my experience.

Ok in seven weeks ive lost 20lb, overall an excellent achievement. It really helps to hear that others have stalled. As some weeks I lost almost nothing!!. I guess after overheating/binging for so long its taking my body a little bit of time to re-adjust. I've gone from a size 20 to a size 16... And the 16 is starting to feel loose! Wont be long till Im in a 14... Honestly cant remember the last time i was a size 14!!!!

I am so grateful for the support i have received on here and to my GP who has helped me along the way, yes there are a lot of sacrifices but every one of them has been worth it! Im loving my new life, and im only just at the start of it.

Im only 6 days post op so not going to weigh myself just yet. Helps that i dont own any scales and cant afford to buy any! Last time I was weighed was day 10 of the milk diet having lost 10lb at that point. Im hoping I can achieve a 2 stone weight loss by 8 weeks to drop me below the 20 stone mark.

Ive always found losing weight really really difficult. Never seen more than a 2lb loss during any diet. But maintain well (not good when I was maintaining 22+ stone!!!)

The longer you wait the bigger difference you'll see. Hang in there! :D

Are you going to ask santa for some, the mechanical ones are under £4 and electronic are under £10 in argos :)

Nope :) I never weighed myself before, was never bothered about weight. Went on clothes size really.
Santa can bring me a money tree so I can buy some gorgeous new clothes once the loss starts to become more apparent! :D

I'm a scales junkie when I'm losing weigh, when I'm putting it on I'm a scalephobic :D

Me too... That's why I gave mine to my folks for safe keeping. I am holding out the 8 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back