• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight loss after gastric bypass

lostrislily

Hi

i had my bypass 4 weeks ago and in the first 10 days i lost 1 1/2 stone but for the last 2 weeks i have only lost 2lb so thats a 1lb a week and i wondered if anyone else has had this slow weight loss in the beginning i do expect it to slow down but not so quickly and now im feeling i wont be able to lost enough weight

Hi it will slow down as your body will go into starvation mode wondering what the heck is going on, you need to make sure you eat what they have told you to lots of protein etc.....also it depends on how much you have to lose, obviously someone who has lots will lose quicker than someone who does not....hope this helps you chick...and the loss you have had is really good you should focus on what has gone just now whilst your body repairs the damage that surgery did...xx

thanks charlie girl i have ten stone to lose and yes i lost a lot in ten days which was good but i was told i should be losing 3/4 lb a week poss more in the beggining so im concerned it has slowed down so qyickly as no one else i know had theres slow down

I was exactly the same. Lost about the same amount, in the first 6 weeks. Barely a stone since. It is disheartening after the initial 'rush' but I'm waiting (hoping!) it will kick in again soon/sometime!

thanks ditzy hope yours kicks in soon has your consultant said why it has slowed down so much so quickly keep me posted

At 4 weeksin i didnt loose a lb but the following week the scales moved again. Its TOM this week so only god knows what will happen.
Dont be disheartened yr body has had a massive shock and is still ajusting.
good luck for better losses
HC

hopeless thank you for your reply it helps to know that it does happen as im so scared ive gone through all this for nothing and i will only ever lose a pound here and there

hopeless thank you for your reply it helps to know that it does happen as im so scared ive gone through all this for nothing and i will only ever lose a pound here and there

Don't worry hun, I think everyone goes through a 'it isn't working, what have I done' phase. Every body is different and you will have stops and starts all along the way. You are in early days so don't fret. You should have a follow-up visit soon right? When you do if the weight is still slow or stopped make sure and take your food diary with you. Sometimes your nurse/consultant/dietician can look at what you are eating and help you tweak it (like maybe you aren't eating enough, you go to long between meals or your water intake is too low, ect.) but most likely you are just healing and there is nothing wrong.

Take care and don't stress a little slow down, just follow your surgeon's dietary instructions and you'll be back on track in no time.;)

perhaps you are right ive just hit my first lull and its thrown me as i wasnt expecting it so soon thanks for caring enought to reply all of you

thanks ditzy hope yours kicks in soon has your consultant said why it has slowed down so much so quickly keep me posted

Don't see my cosultant until January but I'll have a word & see what I can find out - I suspect it is more to do with my 'constipation issues' & the fact I just am not in a 'proper' eating habit/daily way.

My fault I know!

My fault I know!

No Ditz, not your fault. Yes you have to take good care of yourself but sometimes our bodies just get confused - Are we starving, is this another diet?? The surgery is technically a trauma and sometimes with trauma our bodies shut down to repair and that will stall weightloss. Give yourself some credit and try to help that body heal by feeding it regularly.

Just remember that you are still only a few months out from surgery and you have to take baby steps sometimes. You'll get there in the end so no pointing fingers just yet okay. Chin up hun, you are obviously commited to change your life and soon your body will get the memo.

Nic:p

I've got my check at the hospital Thursday following the blood tests, so will find out if I am ok with vitamins, minerals, etc or if I am lacking anything. Hopefully I can get some answers to things or see if they can point me into some direction to get things moving again - & advise on some bad habits I have been getting into lately!! :break_diet:

Good luck chick, hope they get you back on track although you have had a really good loss todate so dont be so hard on yourself...xx

hi i too am at hospital for my first visit since my op so hopefully he will tell me its all good lost 3 stone 1lb now
That's brilliant well done.
I'm two and a half weeks past surgery and just going through the panic stage of what if it doesn't work, and why aren't I losing more, so your posts have really helped me

Hi

i had my bypass 4 weeks ago and in the first 10 days i lost 1 1/2 stone but for the last 2 weeks i have only lost 2lb so thats a 1lb a week and i wondered if anyone else has had this slow weight loss in the beginning i do expect it to slow down but not so quickly and now im feeling i wont be able to lost enough weight

I have started a thread asking people to list their weight loss since the surgery as not everyone does the pre op diet (I didn't) thought it might help by showing the various weight loss patterns and what can be expected, although we are all different. I was told if you lose it slow it gives your skin chance to get back to normal and to date I have no loose skin...hope this helps..xx

hi hun, my weight loss is good some weeks and stays the same others. some of this is dependant on my monthly cycle. try not to worry every 1lb off is a step in the right direction x

Back