• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss whilst exercising!

Lesley110

Why is that why I went to the gym and also the pool my weight loss was either putting weight on or loosing half a pound a week, yet I have been on holiday where the only exercise I had was some light swimming and also the week before the holiday I was unable to get to the gym and in those 3 weeks I lost 9lbs! This week, due to my husband being in hospital, I have been unable to exercise yet again I have lost another 4lbs.

I am now wondering why I forked out for the gym subscription when all I had to do was potter around the house and still manage to loose weight, don't figure!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Lesley Ive noticed a similar pattern and it seems the more exercise I do, the less weight I lose.

However I do enjoy exercise (once Ive dragged my arse off the sofa) and I know that it will be the key to long term maintenacnce, so Im prepared to take the slow losses for the longer term benefits.

It is a toughie though, because its human nature for us to want to get to a healthy weight as quick as possible.

Whilst you're exercising etc, you're also building muscles and muscles weigh more than fat. Muscles are about a fifth in size to fat so for every pound of muscle gained, it's equivalent to about 5lbs of fat.

Plus, when you exercise, your body will carry on burning fat, depending on the intensity of your work-out, up to 36 hours later.

There's also a difference in being lighter and being fitter. I would rather be 3 stone heavier and fit than 3 stone lighter and lethargic. :)

Lesley Ive noticed a similar pattern and it seems the more exercise I do, the less weight I lose.

However I do enjoy exercise (once Ive dragged my arse off the sofa) and I know that it will be the key to long term maintenacnce, so Im prepared to take the slow losses for the longer term benefits.

It is a toughie though, because its human nature for us to want to get to a healthy weight as quick as possible.

Same for me. My weight losses have slowed down with working out but I am so much more toned than I would be if I didn't work out and I know this is the only way to still be successful in 5 years time.

Would the slowing down of weight loss by exercising help with the loose skin problem? As you'd also be toning up? xx

It has worked this way for me. I am more tone now than I have ever been and I was even a cheerleader in high school. I also don't have too much of a bingo wing issue either and my trainer says it is the working out that is helping me out so much. Plus, we all know the weight loss from our surgeries will eventually almost stop and IMHO, by exercising and getting used to it, I am helping create the right new life for me.

I have been swimming twice a week & hope to continue this after my surgery, plus I'm trying to get out there & walk more.

Is there a time limit after surgery until you can start exercising again? x

Hi Ditzee
Thats really down to your surgeon's advice but i was told it would be ok after 6 weeks! I have loose skin and very flabby boobs but was always told that would be likely given my 48 years on this planet. Do you guys who exercise regularly think its ever too late to do regular exercise x

Although you have found you have'nt lost weight while going to the gym you may have lost inches with toning up rather than the lbs. Keep a record of your measurements and you may be suprised. Hope your hubby feels better soonxxx

I discussed this with my OH yesterday and I have decided to lay off the gym, but still go swimming for a couple of months as I would prefer to get more weight off first. My OH is doing well, his stomach was been completely removed due to cancer, so he is in the High Dependancy Ward at the mo. Hence me not having the energy or the will to exercise at the moment, thankfully I decided to go ahead with the bypass when I did as I would not be in any fit state to look after him when he is released!

Back