• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why is my weight loss so slow?

Sharie65

After initially loosing weight really fast ( 2 1/2 stone since start of pre-op in 3 weeks) my weight loss has almost ground to a halt! The last 2 weeks I have only lost 2lbs and this keeps fluctuating as unfortunately, I am obsessed with weighing myself and weigh every day. I am only eating between 5-800 cals day ( according to my fitness pal) have upped my activity, am drinking plenty, have upped my protein ( adding protein powder to everything). Have I really been through so much ( had 2 major abdominal surgeries 2 days apart) to only loose 1lb per week? why is my weight loss so slow? This happened to me after having the band (weight loss was barely 1lb per week despite following all the rules) which was removed last April.
Really thought things were going to be different now I have been bypassed! Feels like an awful lot of hardship for very little return! I know you are going to say I should be grateful that it's going in the right direction and in a year that would be 52lbs but I just feel so disappointed and let down. I have given up so much to reach this point including almost loosing my life after the ops, and am impatient for results! My slimmer friends when they go on diets of around 1200 calories can loose weight faster than me and they haven't had major surgery!
Why is it such a battle for some of us? So unfair!!!!
Rant over!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

clare-revised

Eyes on the prize
After initially loosing weight really fast ( 2 1/2 stone since start of pre-op in 3 weeks) my weight loss has almost ground to a halt! The last 2 weeks I have only lost 2lbs and this keeps fluctuating as unfortunately, I am obsessed with weighing myself and weigh every day. I am only eating between 5-800 cals day ( according to my fitness pal) have upped my activity, am drinking plenty, have upped my protein ( adding protein powder to everything). Have I really been through so much ( had 2 major abdominal surgeries 2 days apart) to only loose 1lb per week? why is my weight loss so slow? This happened to me after having the band (weight loss was barely 1lb per week despite following all the rules) which was removed last April.
Really thought things were going to be different now I have been bypassed! Feels like an awful lot of hardship for very little return! I know you are going to say I should be grateful that it's going in the right direction and in a year that would be 52lbs but I just feel so disappointed and let down. I have given up so much to reach this point including almost loosing my life after the ops, and am impatient for results! My slimmer friends when they go on diets of around 1200 calories can loose weight faster than me and they haven't had major surgery!
Why is it such a battle for some of us? So unfair!!!!
Rant over!

Try try try to stay off the scales, I know I bang on about it but we get either elated or deflated - they are only a guide.
I've ALWAYS been a slow loser, on ANY diet & including when I had my plication done.
I am concentrating on protein, I have soya/almond milk lattes, lentil soup, quorn mince, laughing cow triangle, I am hardly touching carbs....
Maybe it's worth you joining 'daily bypass menu' thread & noting what you eat.
I only lost a stone pre-op and had a v.slow start the better I got the more I lost. Make sure your bm's are regular xx

Sharie65

Thank you Clare. I am obsessive about weighing myself every day and it so affects my moods. I need my partner to hide the scales but then I get withdrawal effects and feel panicky ( have tried it before!) my bowel movements are not regular. Am going about 1 every 5 days. Am taking lactulose and have been prescribed movicol. Does that really make a difference? Used to be as regular as clock work!
Why is it so much harder for some of us to loose weight? Can be so disheartening. I log what I eat on my fitness pal but will give it a go on here too Clare. I am avoiding carbs at the moment and sticking to protein and veg. Soul destroying when you follow the rules but the rewards are slow!

clare-revised

Eyes on the prize
Thank you Clare. I am obsessive about weighing myself every day and it so affects my moods. I need my partner to hide the scales but then I get withdrawal effects and feel panicky ( have tried it before!) my bowel movements are not regular. Am going about 1 every 5 days. Am taking lactulose and have been prescribed movicol. Does that really make a difference? Used to be as regular as clock work!
Why is it so much harder for some of us to loose weight? Can be so disheartening. I log what I eat on my fitness pal but will give it a go on here too Clare. I am avoiding carbs at the moment and sticking to protein and veg. Soul destroying when you follow the rules but the rewards are slow!

Most of us here have an obsessive nature (oops it was with food if that makes sense??) You've sacrificed so much with the op etc in your mind, therefore the scales give you real indication that it's all 'working' but breaking down fat cells & the chemistry of it & how fat is broken down & expelled through our bodies thru our breathe, poo & wee is one hell of a feat!!!
If the scales are slow, make sure you are checking your measurements.
And I need at least 2 x BM's a week to feel comfortable - keep following the rules, forget about scales & it will work xx

fayz

Hi Sharie65, you really will win this race. You'll just be the tortoise and not the hare. But before long you'll look back on every milestone with pride. Celebrate every small success and be kind to yourself. I do know how disappointing it is to stall and put on and I understand the self doubt. The week after my op I put on 5lb I couldn't believe it and felt like the surgeon had tricked me and that I would be the only person for whom the operation actually had the opposite effect! Obviously this was nonsense and it was water retention. Stick to the rules and eating so few calories and high protein has to result in weight loss and you will get into your grove. Don't lose hope and weighing yourself daily is clearly not helping, try once a week. I've now lost over 7 and half stone in 8 month and still can't quite believe it! I know the scales will start moving for you soon but in the meantime take joy in all those non scale victories, my favourites were not having to put my foot on the stairs to tie my shoe laces and taking a link out of my watch strap. Good luck x

Lippyloirston

It will happen, stop weighing yourself and relax. Follow your providers advice, eat well and keep moving. It's not a quick fix, it takes time for your body to settle and get used to the changes. Good luck :)