• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight loss!

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
Hi everyone.

15 days since my op, and I lost a lot of weight the first week, and I have not lost a thing this week and I am a bit worried!

I was told that I would average 1-2 kilos per week, but I haven't lost an ounce in a week.

How can that be, I am having water and 2-3 pureed meals (mostly blended veg and gravy) and they are only about 6 teaspoons at a time? Surely I should have lost SOMETHING??

Rx

Just to get this straight in everyone's mind, there is no set rate to lose post-op! When averages are mentioned, that means over your entire weight loss. Some people will lose lots in the first few weeks and then taper or even stop for a while. Others will lose small but steady amounts throughout (like me). It is common to have very little weight loss during the first few weeks due to swelling & trauma and possible starvation mode. I was instructed during purees to eat 6x per day so I would guess that you may be under-eating. That is just a guess and should be run by your professional team if you are concerned. Make sure you are drinking at least 2L of fluid per day and getting plenty of rest, both things will help you heal.

Just keep following your teams advice and you will be on your way to healthy weight loss in no time. Be patient and take good care of yourself, that is your task right now.

Nic:D

Just weighed myself (hadn't since posting this thread) and I am still exactly the same weight. Can't believe I might have spent £10,000, had major surgery followed by the worst week of my life and I am not going to lose any weight! That is just typical of my luck.

I went for a 1 mile walkk yesterday, the most execise I have done since the op, I was well and truly puffed out when I got back, thought it might have done some good, but no, the scales STILL say 17st3. I don't know what to do!

Rx

i think patience is the key here. Try to stop jumping on the scales as this can dampen your spirits...which it sounds like it has.
I've made the decision to wait until my appointments to get weighed, i know i am a long way off having my op...but i know what i'm like. Maybe this would be better for you, obsessing about how much you have lost is only going to lead to harm and possible failure x
Good luck x

Just weighed myself (hadn't since posting this thread) and I am still exactly the same weight. Can't believe I might have spent £10,000, had major surgery followed by the worst week of my life and I am not going to lose any weight! That is just typical of my luck.

I went for a 1 mile walkk yesterday, the most execise I have done since the op, I was well and truly puffed out when I got back, thought it might have done some good, but no, the scales STILL say 17st3. I don't know what to do!

Rx
It will work ! Your body is still adjusting to your new bits:).
Just be careful in your exercising though 2 weeks is still early days.

As Nic said drink and eat and it WILL come off, I know your probably disheartened that nothing is moving, have you measured yourself ? Maybe its coming off in inches rather than pounds ;) Maybe TOM is due to show his ugly head ?

Read other peoples diaries, most go through the 'omg its not going to work for me' I did. I got to 2st loss and though well thats it, for a day lol, as thats the most I have every lost. Now its coming off nicely, not too fast but just right for me.

Good luck, you will look back on this in a couple of weeks and think 'silly mare' lol :p :D

Take care

I am two weeks post op and have not lost anything this week. But I am not fretting. I know I am doing everything I can with the tool I have been given. I am sure it will start coming off again and am just thankful for what I have lost so far.
As others have said, it will come off. xxxxx

Rx

Dont let it get you down, you are doing brill on the exercise front so keep it up, it will all pay off in the end, I havn't lost a lb in 2 weeks :sigh: but im out walking the children to school every morning & again at home time so im sure (hopefully) my weight loss will start again :fingerscrossed:

Kate x

Hi Rose
i know its frustrating but give it time you are still healing all i can suggest is eat as much protein as you can and drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid but try not to worry nic as usual has given fantastic advice i know its hard but try to only weigh yourself once a week big hug to cheer you up x

Ok, firstly don't panic - it is common not to lose in the first couple of weeks post op - your body was pumped full of fluids which often causes a gain, and your body has had major surgery - give it time.

Try not to over do the exercise, you are only 2 weeks out and it is very early days.

If you can weigh yourself once a week, or better still throw away the scales and just get weighed at the hospital.

It is very very very rare for bypasses not to work, and when they fail it is usually down to not following the rules. So don't panic, I am sure that things will change for you soon.

Rose, omg walking a mile!! I went to asda and was exhausted for more than a day!!

I have to eat 6 meals a day, approx the same size as you said. Are you eating plenty protein?

I haven't lost any this week, but I know from when I had my band that this does happen and not to worry about it, for some reason I seem to maintain even though i feel as if ive lost then i will drop a chunk of weight. As everyone says just keep doing the same thing and it will start and you will be wondering why you were worried.

If you want to chat privately, i'd love to just send me a pm with your details, it might help with us bothe being at the same stage. xx

Thank you so much all of you for your fabulous advice! I am feeling really disheartened but you are all right of course!

Walking a mile was probably too much, it did really wear me out for the rest of the day, but sadly hubby is back at work now so I have to take the children to school. It's actually a mile and a quarter (I got hubby to clock it last night). And the journey home is all up hill :-(.

Today I stopped and had a coffee with a friend at the cafe near the school so it wasn't so bad as the journey was split, and I really needed that sit down. I feel like a bit of a fraud sometimes because I look ok now, so I should feel ok, does that make sense?

I put make up on today for the first time since the op, and I had my hair done last week, and doesn't that make a big difference to how you feel?? I felt almost normal!

So you lot are right, I am going to ask hubby to hide the scales, and I am not going to get weighed until I go to my appointment with the nurse next thurday, I must have lost something by then!

And I am going to drink MORE water. I am not sure that is physically possible, but I have found a lemon water drink with added vitamins that I really like, and it doesn't give me pain when it hits my stomach like water does so I am going to drink 2 of those per day. It has a little sugar in tho, but hasn't made me 'dump' so that's ok.

Do you think I should be eating more fruit? To be honest, I am not really eating any fruit as I am scared of the sugar, but maybe I should be.

And I am just going to try and be patient. I wanted to have lost a decent bit of weight by christmas, but now I am just going to not set any targets and see how it happens.

Thanks again for all your advice, I am so lucky I found this board, without you I think i would be having a nervous breakdown!

Love Rx

Hi Rose
I know everyone is different but i made my own smoothies at your stage with fruits such as bannanas, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, mangos i would sometimes add some natural youghart or a small dollup of low fat ice cream i did'nt have any prob with them x

Hi everyone.

I have lost a pound this week, but I feel like I have a really upset stomache, constant gurgling and I feel REALLY bloated. I don't know what is going on in there, I just hope it's all good....?

I am struggling with my bowels (opened only twice since op). Would love to know how that compares to others that have had bypass.

I am probably not eating enough protein, but I don't eat meat or fish so that's hard for me, however I am also avoiding too many carbs (so no mash and gravy, which would be so easy!). I am generally having porridge for breakfast, veg soup for lunch and more pureed veg for tea with a fruit smoothie in the evenings. It's not the most exciting, but why aren't my bowels opening with all that veg??

I am starting to feel really down in the dumps, not so much at the weight loss, but at feeling poorly again too, I am beginning to feel nauseus too, which frightens me as it's only 2 weeks since I was rushed back in and put on a drip for 5 days to rehydrate me and stop me being sick, the memories are very raw and I am frightened of that happening again.

Thanks for listening x

Ah hun, it is tough isn't it?
I haven't lost this week and am eating fish and meat!!! I ended up ringing the hospital cos I was having so many problems with not going and was given Movicol, as others have been, Maybe it is worth a try????
I am 3 weeks post op and have also been very teary this week. Saw my GP yesterday and she said it will be post op blues. Try not to beat yourself up. YOU WILL LOSE.

Hugs been sent to you.
xxxxxx

hi rosie i am at same stage as you. Have you tried quorn as i dont like meat quorn mince is lovely and you can blist quorn fillets, Also i bought some protein powder and i add it do my soup and glass of milk.
I have only lost 3lb in 2 weeks but deffo lost inchs.
Not weighing myself more than once a week now as i becme obsessed.
Good luck and keep smiling.

Hi Rose, I had my bypass the day after you. Our starting BMI is similar and we have lost a similar amount of weight. I am chuffed with my weight loss and think you may be expecting too much hun.

With regards the toilet - I havent had any troubles as yet, but I am making sure I drink plenty. Ive only moved onto sloppy foods since Monday and its nice that my poo finally has some consistency to it (sorry for TMI) before that it was basically liquid.

Try not to be so hard on yourself hun - and make sure you are drinking the recommended 2l a day. It really helps.

Back