• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What alcohol do you drink post bypass?

EmmaLouise81

I am not a drinker really, had a few cocktails but literally could count what alcohol I have had on both hands.

Anyway, going out Friday night with a friend and I know I will probably end up with something to drink but what?? I hate wine, obviously anything fizzy is out so what would you suggest?

Just want to be prepared and not make a stupid quick decision on the night!

Sorry to be a kill joy but I wouldn't have any alcoholif you can resist. You are not long post op. & it could upset your new bypass system. If you must then something like a small vodka & cranberry juice or orange juice & make it last. You could get them to pour a tonic & if you stir it it will loose fizz. J2O is good too. Trouble with juices etc - lots of auger so if you have juice try 1/2 juice & 1/2 water. That's what I do. I am 4 months post sleeve op & only jut tried a small glass of wine. I also felt drunk quite quickly. Used to need at least a bottle LOL.

Think Emma is 1 year post op, so drink would be fine. Would love to know what everyone drinks as I had a cocktail and it cost me £6.50. It's hard to find cheap drinks that are not fizzy x

EmmaLouise81 said:
I am not a drinker really, had a few cocktails but literally could count what alcohol I have had on both hands.

Anyway, going out Friday night with a friend and I know I will probably end up with something to drink but what?? I hate wine, obviously anything fizzy is out so what would you suggest?

Just want to be prepared and not make a stupid quick decision on the night!

Im 2 years post op almost,
Ive had 2 occasions where I have had a drink of alcohol.
I've had a vodka and cranberry juice or with orange if no cranberry.
And like you say fizzy is a no no,it's causes pain for me.
To be honest since my op I've gone right off alcohol,just for the simple reason I have a little sip of the stuff and it goes right to my head.
And I don't like the feeling!I've had hangover after 20 mins of being out!..lol
As we know the alcohol gets in your system very quick for us bypassers.
So have a good nite but be careful x

Hi had to give up drinking when my diabetes got bad. I am hoping that around a year post up I may be able to have a glass of dry white wine on a special occasion so ill be interested to see what other people post xx

Ive only drunk rose wine since ive been able to drink again.... ut if you like drinks with mixers ie with cola etc.. you could always have lots of ice and stir out the bubbles xx i used to drink lager and lime or cider as it was cheap... not had it since op due to the fizz... but can honestly say i dont miss it... last time i went to the pub i had a botte water and asked for a glass with some lime cordial in... elt quiet good still looking and feeling good at the end of the night lol xx

None for me at the moment after sleeve but then I wasn't a big drinker before (god I'm a boring old hag) Victoria x

Last edited:
We're told no alcohol for a year post opmat NGH in Sheffield.

I am a year post op.

Drink is not my thing but nor are nights out....or should I say being so big before I never went anywhere. Now, I want to go out but still hold back...sometimes I think one drink might just relax me and let me enjoy the night!

At Bournemouth & on here the general advise is don't drink alcohol as even a little can get into the system quickly & have the same effect as a skinful due to the new plumbing. Fizzy drinks & straws being a no no to.
On a personal level I have never drunk alcohol so it doesn't bother me if I do go out instead of the old St Clements or lime & soda I have a cranberry juice with ice.
I know lots have alcohol post-op whether the hospitals warnings are true I've no idea but for me it was never an option pre-op as sniffing the cork can give me a hangover let alone drinking it. Lol but each to their own & up to you if you wish to see how safe it is for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I am a year post op.

Drink is not my thing but nor are nights out....or should I say being so big before I never went anywhere. Now, I want to go out but still hold back...sometimes I think one drink might just relax me and let me enjoy the night!

It might Emma Louise, and it might make you as drunk as a newt too :D

I've not drank booze since 1999 so it doesn't bother me post op, but I would suggest you try it at home first rather than wait until you're in a public place. Believe me I've been in the company of post oppers who have had a drink and seen them make right pillocks of themselves :eek:

Our new plumbing means we get drunk quicker but sober up quickly too, it's one of the reasons for the weaker amongst us developing alcohol addiction problems post op, so care must be taken with booze, but as long as you don't overdo it the occasional drink a year or more out shouldn't do harm

Have a great night take it really easy and have some fun hun

i had a pint of lager at the weekend (wedding and i was'nt driving) and that was enough for me bit light headed and a bit red faced ....... juice or water is the order of the day now

You know what, I think I will just stick to water with lemon!! I have not needed to drink before I should not need too now!! Think I was just hoping for a little Dutch courage but shouldn't need it really!

I agree with karlos. Also i used to drink a lot pre-op... and now i can definately take it or leave it... i was out saturday night at a party and i had one glass of wine... made me tiddly and i was happy not drinking any more after that... hour later i felt like i hadnt had a drink lol... im at another party this coming weekend.. and im looking forward more to dancing and meting some new people thank having a drink... when before it was so the other way round x

To be honest I don't need a drink now post op. Just love going out & enjoying myself.seem tp have a natural high most times.

Back