• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What am i diong wrong ?

rubyred15

Hi,GIrls. And guys.....19 days post opp,,,,,,,,,lost 12lbs up to now,,,,,I'm feeling a bit down today,im very ashamed to say it (tears)!!!!!! All over my I pad.......I'm sooooooo hungry,,,there's nothing that won't go down,,,not touched butter or bread, just eating ryvitas with quark, tuna or light pate, salads eggs hard boiled or scrambled, I have made pitza on small fajitas with low fat Edam,small potions of mixed fruit,,coffe and low fat horlicks.water...I've got 10 ml band with 3 ml in my dietitian app and fill is not till 26 October,,,I haven't got a diet sheet yet, so don't really know what is right or wrong food,I've just been picking what I like from other peoples diets,,,,,I don't feel any restriction at all will this come with my 1st fill?sorry to go on, hope someone can help me xxxxxxxthanks all rubyred15 xxxx

Hi Ruby i had DS so don't pretend to know anything about the band but i think ryvitas etc may be a bit early even for that,, i can say someone who has full and better knowledge than me will be along very soon to help you xx good luck :)

Dear Rubyred
Bit worried about what you are eating and feeling. I am a bander only had it done 5th Oct but I was under the impression that banders follow the following....
first 2 weeks - liquids only
next 2 week - mushy food
next 2 week - soft food
then first fill to feel restriction
then back to liquid to allow to learn about restriction then muchy then soft then real food.
Google Lapband diet and you should come across the NHS download thats available which you can print off and use. I am worried you run the risk of band slippage etc so please be careful. I am only on liquids as I am terrified of something getting stuck or band movement.
Good Luck with your weight loss

Should I go back ?

Thanks guys,I feel I've messed up!should I go back to the mush stage, I thought if I went to crunchy stage it was filling me more and staying in my pouch longer?i think I've tried to run before I can walk,,,,,sound advice.advice now taken will look at google to see what I should be haveing xxxxxx

Hi Ruby, of course you feel hungry, hun. Until we get to the 'sweet spot', there is not enough restriction in the band and therefore we are feeling hungry. I don't know this from first hand experience because I will get my band in three weeks time, but from all the information I got from the consultant, until you have 'proper' restriction, you will feel hungry. That is how it works. You have 3ml in 10 ml band; that means that it should be a tiny bit better than if there was nothing at all, but probably nowhere near enough for you to stop feeling hungry.

To stop yourself feeling hungry, you can try to increase your protein intake. Apparently protein stops people feeling hungry. You can have mince meat (chew properly), but you can also get it through protein shakes and there is also some protein water (I saw it here on the forum). Or adding dry powder milk into things (like into mashed potatoes etc).

I would also like to second what lapbandbeck wrote above. If you have had surgery only 19 days ago, you were supposed to spend 2 weeks on liquid diet only (the consistency that could go through a straw (although we must not use the straw) and now you should be on mash/soft food diet. Not sure if all food you wrote qualify as soft food (e.g. ryvitas). I think it can be dangerous breaking the diet, you can get yourself complications, so try and do your best to stick to it (it is only temporary, for another two weeks, then you can start experimenting with food more).

Good luck with it and let us know if it got better! :)

Rubyred, has your provider not given you any guidance as to what you should be eating post op? Each provider has different guidelines but they should have told you what to follow post op.

For me it was 2 weeks of liquids only, followed by 2 weeks of mashed/pureed foods and then to move onto normal food.

At 19 days post op, I was on mashed food only, so this included
~ mashed or pureed vegetables, mashed up fish
~ ready brek or weetabix made softer to begin with
~ yoghurts
~ pureed fruit
~ fruit and vegetable juice
~ mashed/minced beef, lamb, chicken
~ soft scrambled eggs
~ mashed potato, soft mashed pasta
~ stewed fruit
~ custard

The thing by eating harder food right now is that you could cause damage to the band and your stomach which is settling in post op, you shouldn't (even if you can) be on harder foods, and not ryvitas and things.

I eat ryvitas and quark which i've talked about on here but wasn't allowed to go on them until almost 5 weeks post op, then had to go back to fluids and mash post fill. I've just had a small fill so am back on liquids only.

Its difficult if you've been picking up from other peoples diets here because different people will be at different stages, and also different providers say different things.

I would get on to your provider urgently, ask them for this information that they should have provide you with, but also, at this point, it should really be mashed soft foods only, so I'd move over to that if you can.

My provider at this point suggests
3 items of protein per day
~ protein shake
~ 1 soft/runny scrambled egg
1-2 tbsp pureed chicken, quorn, tofu, minced lamb or beef made smooth with gravy
~ 1-2 tbsp of soft fish mashed into fine flakes
~ small plain yoghurt, blended with fruit if wanted

Also, 3 items of carbs per day
~ 1/2 to 1 weetabix with skimmed milk
1-3 tbsp ready brek
~ 1 to 2 tbsp mashed potato
~ 1-2 tbsp soft pasta
200-300 mls thick veg shoup.

Fruits and veg 3 per day
~ 1-2 tbsp pureed mash veg
~ 1-2 tbsp stewed fruit
~ smoothie of 2 fruit portions with 150 mls milk or juice
~ 1 inch slice of very ripe melon
~ 1 x 250 ml glass of OJ

And using those to form the diet of each day, along with plenty of fluids, water, NAS squash. This changed for me over to normal foods after week 4, but again, that may be different with your provider, but following other peoples diets who are at different times as you could cause some damage . . .and I didn't have anything in my band at time of op, but had 5mls put in at 5 weeks, it didn't make any different and Im just at 7 weeks and I had 1ml put in yesterday but they told me that losing 1-2lb is what I should be aiming for, but it may take several fills to get restriction.

My provider also gives guidelines on the size of meals (side plate size) and that eat a morsel of food about a 50p size, chew chew chew, then wait for 30 seconds before taking another mouthful but leaving the meal after 20 mins. While it wont make you full, you shouldn't expect to feel full, (this is what Im just getting used to)

But give them a call, but hopefully some of the above will help :)

Ive just responded on your other thread, but yes at this point at 19 days you'd still be on mash ~ even though you've slipped up, go back to it now but give your provider a call and request the information they should have given you.

On your other thread, I posted from my guidelines the things that I was eating at this point, but at these early days you wont feel full, but most of it is letting the band settle around the stomach, not stretching the band or the pouch and allowing things to settle down slowly.

:)

top_kat said:
Ive just responded on your other thread, but yes at this point at 19 days you'd still be on mash ~ even though you've slipped up, go back to it now but give your provider a call and request the information they should have given you.

On your other thread, I posted from my guidelines the things that I was eating at this point, but at these early days you wont feel full, but most of it is letting the band settle around the stomach, not stretching the band or the pouch and allowing things to settle down slowly.

:)

Thank you top-cat,,,,I can now see the reasons behind everything,,,,I am going to plan my meals for the next week,put everything down on paper,,,I'll follow your advice and the advice of the other girls too,it's taken a while to sink in, but I think I've got it '!!!!!!!!!!!!at last .I can see where I've gone wrong.I. Will ring my provider tomorrow,I have just coppied nhs diet sheet for gastric bands,,,,,I've not joined in on the forum for last week cos, I knew deep down what I was doing wasn't quite right? I felt a bit ashamed really'!!!!!!!!, anyway I'll start a fresh week looking to the future...thank you very much xxxrubyred15

oh rubyred, don't be so hard on yourself, if you weren't given the information you're walking into something that you really didn't know what to do with . . . don't feel ashamed, the important thing is that you are able to move forward in the right way.

If you want to chat anytime, do give me a shout, if you want a online buddy, text whatever, Im always around and know that it can be a hard going journey . . .its a big change even when we do have all the info, and its hard to stick to those guidelines when you feel hungry, its hard to learn the difference between head hunger and the real hunger, and also to change the habits that have been with us for so long . . .

You can make a positive way moving forward and do the best for you, thats a good thing . . .being hard on yourself and beating yourself up about it isn't.

Kat x

Thanks top-kat, more tears on my I pad !, Do you own a big pair of boots,cos I'll need one every now and again where the sun don't shine ?Lol thanks xxxrubyred15

Will walking boots do? lol and I need it too . . .thats why its nice to be able to chat with people and have someone there along the way. I don't have that irl at all as only my aunt knows about my band (along with my son) so its pretty difficult at times.

Thanks guys,I feel I've messed up!
Oh Ruby of course you haven't messed up. If you weren't told what to expect when discharged from hospital how are you to know. I think it's pretty poor that you weren't given advise. I am a sleever but, it seems that it is pretty a much for much with all the ops. You'll get back on track, don't worry. x

Good luck
Paulax

Thank you top-cat,,,,I can now see the reasons behind everything,,,,I am going to plan my meals for the next week,put everything down on paper,,,I'll follow your advice and the advice of the other girls too,it's taken a while to sink in, but I think I've got it '!!!!!!!!!!!!at last .I can see where I've gone wrong.I. Will ring my provider tomorrow,I have just coppied nhs diet sheet for gastric bands,,,,,I've not joined in on the forum for last week cos, I knew deep down what I was doing wasn't quite right? I felt a bit ashamed really'!!!!!!!!, anyway I'll start a fresh week looking to the future...thank you very much xxxrubyred15

Ruby, it takes courage to admit if one does something wrong. You have admitted it to yourself and to us and searched for the right answers, so things can be corrected. There is no reason to feel ashamed. I bet you the majority of the people on this forum have done much worse things in their life than eating wrong things for two weeks!

Hope things are going better for you now. xx

Rubyred, how are you feeling today? Let me know how you're doing and how you get on when you talk to your provider.

Thinking of you! :)

Hi,Top-Kat,,,,,yes thank you ,a lot better today......I have rang my provider,she said I should have had some information,on what I should be eating.I told her the advice I had received,by my fellow bandsters, and she said (someone's after her job) lol ! Stick with it go back to mushy foods,,,,she will call me in a week, to see how I've got on, so back on track I think? Thank you once again for your sound advice,,,,,,I'm one of those people who need things explaining in simple terms,,,as it is,,,,,so to Speke .why don't you write a book? From start to Finnish, does and donts....recommendations,,,,,,I would buy it. You could call it 50 chews a minute ! Thanks kat x

Oh ruby don't be upset sweetie it's a learning curve for all of us are you having 3 meals a day? Maybe have 5-6 small meals through the day to stave off any hunger and fill up on water and nas hope your feeling better soon xxxx

So glad you called her and she has helped you ~ hopefully they will send out the info for you :) I'm joining you on mush tomorrow cos I had a fill on saturday so have to have 3 days fluids and then back to mash, got lots of fish in sauce in the freezer for this lol

Do shout me any time, send a PM or anything at all if you want to chat :)

Also just as it hasnt been mentioned have you been told that you shouldnt drink til an hour before food and half hour before food so if you have a drink you need to wait half hour before eating. This will stop food trying to come up but will also make you feel fuller for longer.

Ruby red

I been reading over past post to this thread

Don't be so hard on ur self chick ur amazing! Just wanted to let u no that and we all slip up from time to time.
But rember u have friends on here who care about how ur doing and here for help
I hope u have now spoken to ur provider and that ur a little more away of what u should and shouldn't be having. Here if u need any think chick as we all been there

Lisa x x

Back