• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What am i doing wrong?

Awenlock

I am very upset this morning, I am still on the liquid stage, will be 2 weeks post op on Tuesday and since 3 days ago I have put on 1.3lb!!!!
How is this possible, I am only eating tomato or veg soup, sieved and thinned out with skimmed milk, low fat yogurts, sugar free jelly and low fat custards. For drinks I am having either skimmed milk or nas juice, I have had a couple of innocent smoothies but that's IT.

I am on anti biotics because some of my wounds are infected, could they be the reason?

I could have cried when I got on the scales, please can someone tell me where I am going wrong :(

Oh hun dont worry am new to this so someone else will hopefully post< hugs xxx

Don't worry Hun there are alot of adjustments going on inside your body at the moment. Just make sure your fluid intake is up. I know it's the most awful feeling in the world when your not seeing the results I actually came out of hospital 5lbs heavier and hadn't ate a thing bar a spoonful of porrige. It will sort itself out in the coming weeks and start dropping off you. Stay positive x

is it maybe the starvation mode setting in? if it is, it wont last long :) xxx

awww love dont forget they pump you with a lot of air and warter so it could be that, you body needs to adjust so i wouldnt even think of getting on them scales for a few weeks let every thing settle down and your bodys matabolisim get used to the new diet then you will prob see the weight loss you will have achived.

just concentrate on getting well love first, take care,xxx

Cheer up chuck ... it is very early days & I have only lost 6lbs in 3 weeks but my bariatric nurse says that is fine & once I am eating & drinking more & my insides have settled a bit, then the weight loss will start. It seems everyone is different in this area as we are in all areas. So, keep off the scales & just live your life ... it will happen for you sweetie xxx :D

~OMG!!!!
I have just been through the identical situation! I can't believe it. And the weight gain was about the same as yours too. In fact I just wrote a post about it, saying I have been so embarrassed, and felt like a fraud!!! So I know just exactly how you feel.
Hopefully we'll both be on track soon. But if you want to talk about it, i'm here for you xxx

I have just posted this in Kath's profile, some people do gain early stages of post op, your body is making all sorts of adjustments and your body is not taking many cals in at the moment, try not to worry, and try and stay off the scales, the scales are the worst thing ever invented and just mess around with your head, I should know lol

Keep sipping and taking it slowly, it will all come right in the end.

Thanks everyone, u have made me feel a bit better, I hate scales, my hubby does weight training so likes to have them but I may ask him to take out the battery and hide it so I am not tempted to step on them...lol

It's lovely seeing a loss but so disheartening to see a gain, my hubby tells me it is impossible for me to have gained body fat but it really doesn't help, the scales are EVIL....lol

How strange that we have both gained about the same Kath, it's true u do feel like a fraud but it as horrible as it is for both of us it makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one, hence it must be a normal post op occurrence x

Thanks again everyone xx

Hey awenlock.

I am going through the same thing. I am 2 weeks post op and supposed to e on week 3 now but all I am taking in is liquid I can't stand the thought of food right now and still have some lower abdo pain discomfort so your not alone.

How strange that we have both gained about the same Kath, it's true u do feel like a fraud but it as horrible as it is for both of us it makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one, hence it must be a normal post op occurrence

I am still pre-op but last month an external training lady came to our firm. It turned out she had had the op 2 years ago and was now at goal .... her hubby had just had the op, as he also had a weight problem and had been inspired to tackle it after seeing how succesful his wife was after the bypass.

Well ..... this trainer lady told me not only (1) did she have a small gain 2 weeks after her op, but that (2) her hubby was also now going thru exactly the same thing and also scratching his head !!

It is something to do with the body going into "starvation" mode, having realised for a few weeks you have not been feeding it the way it used to like to be fed ..... so it tries (briefly) to shut down and start conserving energy / fat, but finds that it is unable to do so, as shock! horror! you ain't going to go back to eating what you did before :8855: ..... and then your body adapts, and resumes losing weight.

I am so glad I met this woman in a real life situation and she just spilled it all out to me, exactly what to expect !!

It seems, now I'm 5 weeks out, I seem to plateau every fortnight, gain a little, then start losing again, so, I'm quite slow in what I'm actually losing. But my husband (Clever sod that he is) has been keeping a graph of my weight loss, and I can see, from looking at this, that the general trend is down. In 5 weeks since my op, I've only lost 17 pounds, and while I'm pleased to be losing weight, I'm a little worried that it's coming off far too slowly :(

It seems, now I'm 5 weeks out, I seem to plateau every fortnight, gain a little, then start losing again, so, I'm quite slow in what I'm actually losing. But my husband (Clever sod that he is) has been keeping a graph of my weight loss, and I can see, from looking at this, that the general trend is down. In 5 weeks since my op, I've only lost 17 pounds, and while I'm pleased to be losing weight, I'm a little worried that it's coming off far too slowly :(

I'm the same Kath ... never mind, it may take us longer but we will get there, honey xxx :D

Still have problems actually, lose a bit, gain a bit, lose a bit more. And I kind of know why - I don't dump . . ., I do feel hunger inspite that they say you shouldn't, well I do!! So I think I'm eating too much. I do get full on much much smaller portions than I ever used to, but I then get hungry between meals. Don't know what to do.

Hopefully soon i will be writing about my weekly weight loss!! So nervous that I cannot sleep

this is helpful as i've not lost any weight for about 3 days now, and i've been more active as i went back to work, i keep thinking im eating to much, i think just like me early days people expect to see the weight dropping off.

good luck with your weight loss x

p.s peterborough guy is right - Scales = Evil

I went for 3 weeks and only lost 4lb in those weeks, so I made a conscious effort to drink more water, and in the lat 2 weeks I have lost 13lb. Make sure you ate keeping your fluids up - it defiantly helped me.

Zoe xx

I can't comment on post op (cos I'm not grrr), but all I think is I didn't get to this size overnight so i won't lose it overnight. Softly, softly, catchy monkey I say. Our brains and bodies work in mysterious ways so hang on in there and you'll soon be seeing the results x

Back