• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are people having liquid stage

caz1975

Well seeing as it's only a matter of days before my pending surgery I'm getting worried about what I will be allowed to have in the liquid stage, any help would be great like what would u have in a typical day a couple of days post op thanks in advance xx

Soup is all I can remember lol no bits just lots of soup, not been able to face soup since!

I had really thin soup no lumps in it ,water, tea, actimel N.A.S squashes and I think that was about it!

Thank u ladies, I just want to prepare myself and make sure I have everything to hand as I'm pretty much on my own with this, I have bought a few of those knorr packet soups and a tea strainer to get rid of the bits so it's a start u guess

I found I had very little appetite I used to make a small pan of soup and freeze it in baby tubs a mug of soup would do me for 5-6 portions :D

What you having done hun? Your team should give you a sheet setting out stage by stage what your first few months post surgery will need to consist of. There is no way you should be discharged after WLS without that advice and support. Good luck with your journey. Genuinely excited for you x

I'm having a bypass done at Salford hospital Wednesday, they gave me a booklet but doesn't seem to have much info regarding what to have post op unless I get more info when I'm admitted? Just quite confused xx

They must give you a diet sheet surely ... The usual routine is: For the first two weeks after sugery it is 120ml simple fluid such as water and NAS squash sipped over an hour for 16 hours a day. Then two weeks of more complex fluids like Heinz Cream of Tomato soup (absolutely no lumps or bits whatsoever), tea and coffee, milk. Weeks five and six will see you thickening up through the puree stage. After week six you will transit back to solids with three meals a day of portions that will fit inside an egg - this is portion size for life. I found this transit very challenging and distressing but pushed through the constant regurgitation and am fine now. Fats and sugars for the rest of your life will need to be kept as low as poss - sugar ideally under 7% (ie 7g per 100g shown on the nutrition info on the product), an Activia 0% yog is aporox 14% sugar so way too high, so be aware that most diet low fat foods will be very high in sugar. Fats and sugars will make you very ill indeed if you have them.

You really do need to check with your provider for a post bypass diet, as they are all different very slightly but the example I have given was mine. Just remember with a bypass you are essentially waving goodbye to food, which has been our best friend and worst enemy. The challenge is enormous but so are the results, and certainly for me it was the best thing I ever did. I have a thread in RNY Gastric Bypass:inspirational photos before and after, it's title starts Be a warrior not a worrier ... Take a look if you are interested. And always ask the forum if you have a question as someone will always come on with an answer and/or advice. Xxxxx

Thank u so much for that, I've been having a nosey at everyone's diaries both post and pre op and just generally taking everything on board.
I know this is not by any means easy but as everyone says it's a tool and I intend on working with it to get to where I want to be :)
Can't wait to get my rather large bum on that loosers bench!! Xxx

Well I was on the liquid stage a mere 2 weeks ago so I can tell you exactly what I had as it's vividly imprinted on my memory lol!

It was thin soups without any bits in, milk, protein shakes, sugar-free squashes, tea/coffee and of course tons and tons of water!

Thank u sundown :)
Can I just ask what protein shakes did u use and would slim fast be any good, I don't have a clue!! Lol xx

Thank u sundown :)
Can I just ask what protein shakes did u use and would slim fast be any good, I don't have a clue!! Lol xx

I used (and still use) Upbeat protein drinks as they're low in sugar. You can find them in the chiller cabinet near the milk in most supermarkets (I've got them from both Tesco and Waitrose)

My protein does a 98% Isolate powder. Virtually sugar free. It comes in several flavours. My provider bans shakes post op as it may slow the initial weightloss process as the body needs to go into Ketosis to burn the stocks we have laid down over time. I use shakes occasionally now (over two years post bypass) as I train five times a week and struggle to take enough protein onboard otherwise x

Back