• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquid stage post op.

Paula Garner

Hi all,

I'm having my bypass on Sunday and I'm trying to get organised before I go in. I've bought some skimmed milk powder and I have some slim fast. But what else do I need,or you guys can recommend I can buy for the liquid stage post op.

Thanks in advance,
Paula :)

I had my liquid stage in the summer so I had smoothies, which I made with soft fruit and milk with added milk powder.
As long as you can get to the shops I would advise against buying loads of stuff. I absolutely hated slim fast really turned my stomach. I still can't touch it three months out !

I tried thinned down soup and watered down apple juice.

Thank you lyzzyanne:). Im planning on doing an online shop before I go in. What about thin gravy and stuff like that ?

Paula, my liquid stage was only for a couple of days post op, then it was 'custard consistancy' foods.
I ate lots of Heinz chicken soup with the bits sieved out, fromage frais, Alpro soya desserts.
After about a week I tried hummus, mashed potato with lots of gravy etc etc.
I think it's only banders that have a lengthy liquid stage.
And
WOOOOOHOOOOO 5 more sleeps for you!!
Em xxxx

Bovril is good, full of protein.

Petit Filous or other fromage frais were good too.

As others have said be careful on slimfast etc. I dumped a few times on Complan and Build up soups , even when I took an eternity to drink them.

The first time I had a complan I drank fairly quickly (old habits etc) and well I think you can guess the rest. Not a pleasant experience

Yes usually after couple of days you go onto puree which is when you come home, fresh fruit n veg blended well with gravy on veg and meat, better for you than slimfast, and you know exactly whats in it, as was said above you can have fromage frais, lowfat custard and sf jelly lovely together. I used heinz big soup chick n veg and beef n veg blended used to make me 3 or 4 portions and then would leave a bit, most of my meals were made and refrigerated /frozen from our Sunday lunch so you not worryn each day if you have had healthy diet ie veg each day.Srh likes you to have 2 veg n 2 fruit each day from day one and 6 portions of protein and 2 carbs, that has worked well for me, however i know all hospitals are different. What suits someone won't suit another game of trial and error. Good luck with everything x

I'm two week post op today!

I was advised by my hospital that I could continue to use the Exante pack I used post op (meal replacement shakes). But have dumped on the two that I tried. Also tried complain chicken soup and same think happened.

Loving Heinz tomato soup and their chicken on put through a strainer.

Also having loads of protein shakes using semi skimmed milk with added skimmed milk powder. Add small amount of coco powder or banana to give a bit of flavour.

Good luck :)

Hi, I am new to this site but will jump in anyway. I am 13 days post op following Revision from Band to Rny Bypass. I have gone through 3 days clear fluids/7days fluids (including creamed soups with a bit of milk added to thin it) 1 week of slightly thicker fluids (runny yoghurts/creamed soups/runny custard etc) looking forward to moving on to baby pureed diet next week. I wish my surgeon had a quicker eating stage but must go with the flow.

Hi paula how are you getting on? Hope all is well. How is the liquid stage? Think I'm going to make some soups and freeze them. Are you getting much variety?

Hi Sarah feeling loads better thank you. I managed to have a shower and wash my hair today, which was lovely. Liquid stage is going well. I'm managing to get in almost everything on the diet sheet. But it does mean constantly sipping on something lol.

I'm getting plenty of variety. This morning for breakfast I had a smoothie made with milk and a handful of frozen mixed fruit. For my 'snack' I had a mug of tea and a glass of watered down pure squeezed apple juice.

For my lunch I had a mug of home made veg soup with added milk powder. So all in all I'm doing quite well I think. How are you doing with your diet ?

Glad to hear you are doing so well. The frozen fruit smoothies sound nice. Have you got sutures or glue? I haven't got a shower so I'll have to have a shallow bath.

I started my diet yesterday as they gave me enough food for 14 days and I wont be able to eat the morning of my op. The milkshakes are ok apart from the vanilla. The porridge is absolutely vile and tastes and looks like soggy cardboard! She only gave me 7 of those so at least I don't have to have it every day.

s-a-r-a-h said:
Glad to hear you are doing so well. The frozen fruit smoothies sound nice. Have you got sutures or glue? I haven't got a shower so I'll have to have a shallow bath.

I started my diet yesterday as they gave me enough food for 14 days and I wont be able to eat the morning of my op. The milkshakes are ok apart from the vanilla. The porridge is absolutely vile and tastes and looks like soggy cardboard! She only gave me 7 of those so at least I don't have to have it every day.

They are. I bought frozen mixed berries from Asda. They're £2 a tub and there's loads of them. I've found the vitality yogurt drinks watered down with milk really good aswell.

If you read your admission letter, it suggests you have a light meal on the night before your op, as it helps prevent nausea and vomiting post anaesthesia. It may be different for you though, as your on the trial. But check anyway :)

You get glue on your incisions, which I'm glad of as it gives them an extra bit of protection. I'm really pleased with how mine are healing and they aren't that big really :)

I'll get some of those berries in, thanks for that. Yes my admission letter does say to have a light meal but I have to stick to my meal replacement diet. I'll make sure I have a food pack in the evening and drink right up until I'm not allowed. Think they put that on the letter because so many people over starve themselves. We get some people in for elective operations who haven't eaten for 24 hours and not drank any water for over 12 hours! It's not because they are told to but they just want to be "on the safe side". They then feel really awful by the time they go down for their surgery.
I'm on a long day they day before my op so I might see if I can change that. How long did they give you a sick note for? X

Only two weeks the tight ******* lol. I'll have to get a taxi to the GP to get another one, as my partner doesn't drive and they advise you don't drive for 6weeks post op.

Ahh that's a shame you can't eat the night before. I just had some chicken and steamed veg. I'd deffo try and change your shift if you can. You'll feel better on the morning of admission, if you've had some relaxing time the night before. Well I did anyway :)

That is a bit mean isn't it! What about the the meds? Did they give you much supply of those? I didn't know about not driving for 6 weeks. I don't remember reading anything about that. The info I've been given has just focused on the dietary advice. Thats a pain for you isn't it? Have you got anybody that will run you around?

My husband only passed his driving test 10 months ago after me nagging him to do it for 9 years lol!

I came home with a massive bag of meds. I had a months supply of omeperazole, forceval, adcal D3. Two weeks supply of clexane, which is all you need. Then a weeks supply of paracetamol and codeine sulphate.

I could ask my partners parents to take me, but they live a few miles away, so it's not fair really. It's easier to get a taxi :)

Back