• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do you do to shake the loss up a bit? (possible a ? for longer term banders)

top_kat

This is perhaps a question more for those longer termers, who may have reached goal or be 6+ months along . . .

I'm hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, swimming 2-3 times a week, I walk about 3-5 miles at least 5 days a week. I'm sticking to my cals mostly, and still working to the max 70g carbs and minimum 70 g protein (this is often about 50-70g carbs and protein anything up to 130g). I still have no restriction from my band, so if I eat a meal I don't feel full which Im hoping that my fill this week will help . .

I'm just wondering what you have done when weight loss has slowed to kick start it back off again? What has worked for you or what did you try that didn't work? I know the weight loss will slow down, and I've gone from averaging an almost 4lb a week loss to 1-2lb, but Im finding that itself is beginning to reduce.

Im just wondering longer termers, what worked for you, what helped kick start it or keep it going at a good loss for you?

I know I've lost inches, I really have noticed a difference over the past couple of weeks, I have muscle definition in my shoulders and a waist appearing, so I know that has changed even though the lbs are reducing . . .Mind you, I've lost 6 1/2 stone thus far and am happy with the 2lb a week loss, (Im certainly not complaining or anything) but I don't want it to slow down too much and if I can kick start things in a different way, then I'd like to as I've still got just over half way to go . . .

But I'd love some feedback from anyone who found this and what worked for you.

I know I'm not a bander, but is it possible that you're in too much of a routine? Is it possible that you may need a week without calorie counting to shake things up? Alternative a liquid week if you're worried about going too high? What about changing your mealtimes - so having your bigger meal in the morning?

I do try and change it about, have some higher carb days and then back to the higher protein. The way my band works, I struggle to eat anything before lunchtime, a yoghurt is about all I can manage before 12pm lol

And its hard without restriction because if I didn't calorie count, I'd be able to eat very large amounts which at Xmas shows how quickly I can put the weight back on (3lbs in 7 days). I am still losing and I know it would slow down, Im just interested in other methods that others have tried and which have worked for them so I can give some thought. When I have a fill I have to go back to liquid for several days and then mash, so its a week from normal food, but I find that those times are some of my lowest weight loss wise. I'm due a fill this thursday so am hoping that will help in some way . . .

Thanks anyway hun :)

Tbh (and again I give my advice with the proviso that I am a bypasser) what eventually worked for me was to quit stressing, stick with what worked before and as soon as I was through the stall I started hitting my old steady losses. Sometimes I think we panic and try and change everything when our bodies are just not in the mood to loose weight. So we lower our cals, body goes mad and then we try something else etc. Try just keeping the faith through a sticking stage maybe?

Can I just congratulate you on losing 6 1/2 stone with no restriction from your band. Do you think on reflection you actually needed the band in the end? Or is just the psychological element to it being in place making you behave in healthier ways? Well done anyway :) x

Can I just congratulate you on losing 6 1/2 stone with no restriction from your band. Do you think on reflection you actually needed the band in the end? Or is just the psychological element to it being in place making you behave in healthier ways? Well done anyway :) x

There is restriction by virtue of the band being in place, thats how it works. Its hard to explain to someone who hasn't got a band but its a case of fine tuning and I know exactly what TK means :D

Back to the topic, it does sound like you are ready for another fill TK, you could also try something different at the gym, change your routine. Change your usual stroke at swimming - do some speed trials etc.

Regarding the food, I know you say your eating the recommended amounts of protein / carbs but as you can't manage breakfast, there is some restriction.

I don't know what else to suggest as my cue was to book in for another fill when my meal sizes increased.

Thank you muchly :)

I have tried so many things in the past, lighterlife I did and lost 5 stone, but put it all back on and more. I know Im capable of losing it, but I know Im capable and some of putting it all back on and that is what Im hoping this will be the difference.

I've asked myself the same question as to whether I needed the band . . .but having it has made me focussed, its made me think "I've spent 71/2k on it being there and it wont fail" lol so whether there's psychological from there I don't mind, as long as I get towards the goal. Im now at a weight I haven't been for 13 years . . .and then only briefly. . . .

There is a huge psychological part of it being there and one thing I didn't want to do was rush my fills, and as I was losing 3-4lb each week I was happy with that, thinking that there will come a time when I want the band to start doing what it should - ie give me restriction and now that Im almost 6 months post op, I think that time has come lol Im hoping it will take away the hunger - because in all honesty, I eat but still feel hungry, and have done more or less since I had the band fitted, the only time it wasn't there was after surgery and before the first fill . . .but I've strictly limited what I eat and calorie count every single thing that passes my lips.

But, I think there's only so long I can go on like that and want the band to give a helping hand :)

There is restriction by virtue of the band being in place, thats how it works. Its hard to explain to someone who hasn't got a band but its a case of fine tuning and I know exactly what TK means :D

Back to the topic, it does sound like you are ready for another fill TK, you could also try something different at the gym, change your routine. Change your usual stroke at swimming - do some speed trials etc.

Regarding the food, I know you say your eating the recommended amounts of protein / carbs but as you can't manage breakfast, there is some restriction.

I don't know what else to suggest as my cue was to book in for another fill when my meal sizes increased

I've never been able to eat breakfast so I know that its not down to the band, I honestly cannot remember the last time I physically ate it - hence I know that feeling isn't down to the band. Goodness knows what it will be like when I do feel the restriction because if I can't eat til lunchtime pre band it maybe dinner time at this rate LOL

I am booked in for a fill on thursday. I've currently got 7.5ml in a 14ml band, I had a fill on jan 5th and my one before that was October 13th so they've been spaced out. I gave it a few weeks after the last fill to see if it would help, but it didn't, but wanted to go through a whole month as I know it changes at different times. . .

Good idea about the gym. I've just joined a 2nd gym for the use of their pool, they have different machines than the gym I normally go to (the other gym is a 30 min circuit) and it maybe that my body is getting too used to it.

I will try some speedier swimming, the fact that I've got a job to keep my head above water and swim at all (Im not a strong swimmer lol) will make that hard. Im also hoping to give the couch 2 5k a shot, maybe I will introduce that a bit earlier.

I will stick to my zero noodles and slim pasta too LOL

Thanks Mazza again :)

I'm the same with breakfast BUT only post band. My favourite breaky is a yoghurt with muesli stirred in.

Its worth a try mixing things up at the gym, is there a different circuit you could try? Keep at the swimming too xx

Thank you muchly :)

I have tried so many things in the past, lighterlife I did and lost 5 stone, but put it all back on and more. I know Im capable of losing it, but I know Im capable and some of putting it all back on and that is what Im hoping this will be the difference.

I've asked myself the same question as to whether I needed the band . . .but having it has made me focussed, its made me think "I've spent 71/2k on it being there and it wont fail" lol so whether there's psychological from there I don't mind, as long as I get towards the goal. Im now at a weight I haven't been for 13 years . . .and then only briefly. . . .

There is a huge psychological part of it being there and one thing I didn't want to do was rush my fills, and as I was losing 3-4lb each week I was happy with that, thinking that there will come a time when I want the band to start doing what it should - ie give me restriction and now that Im almost 6 months post op, I think that time has come lol Im hoping it will take away the hunger - because in all honesty, I eat but still feel hungry, and have done more or less since I had the band fitted, the only time it wasn't there was after surgery and before the first fill . . .but I've strictly limited what I eat and calorie count every single thing that passes my lips.

But, I think there's only so long I can go on like that and want the band to give a helping hand :)

Yes, an excellent point - once you have reached a point where you've done all you can without restriction, restriction could then kick in and you can continue on with a reduction in hunger, giving you that tool you need when you need it :) And I agree, once you have forked out several thousand pounds for a procedure you want to do your best to make it work for you and get your money's worth. Failure is not an option! You are doing brilliantly :) x

I'm the same with breakfast BUT only post band. My favourite breaky is a yoghurt with muesli stirred in.

Its worth a try mixing things up at the gym, is there a different circuit you could try? Keep at the swimming too xx

The main gym I've been going to has a set 10 machines in the circuit, they step it up by going the wrong way round on a friday LOL but I've just joined a 2nd gym, mainly for their pool. but they have other different cardio machines. Im hoping to chuck in a couple of visits there a week too to try and change it up . . .

Fingers crossed tho, the fill will help :)

Back