• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What documents do we need to apply for funding?

farzu

I was reading a sample weight loss history letter where it was written that I will have to show documents as a proof of attempted to loose weight. I do not have any documents or proof. What ever i tried so far by myself but i have documents saying that i am Obese and have prescriptions for other problems. What should i do? Am i disqualified before even trying?

your gp should have all attempts logged in your notes.

Hi Farzu, does your gp know about the different diets you've tried?? Have you ever had the slimming tablets off your gp?? These are usually whats classed as documented. If you see your gp for other reasons and these are caused by obesity then it will help but your gp may want to try you on the slimming meds 1st.

Like Liz said...he or she will have the evidence if you have asked them for help in the past...Even if you did Cambridge, Lighterlife or Lipotrim you would have had to have got your GP to sign approval for it, and that should help to prove your plight too I believe.

Lots of luck.

I don't have any documents as i have tried all these in Bangladesh (My country). I have been to GP for other weight problem related matters but didn't take any medication prescribed by GP. I bought diet pills myself. But every GP i saw till now asked me to loose weight. I have recently changed my GP. So, what should i do now?

Farzu, Hi :)

I don't think you will need documentary proof as you live in London. If you ae still worried about this you can join weight watchers or something similar to try to lose weight whilst you are waiting for a referral. Someone I know used their weight watchers log as proof.

Good luck

Thanks swizzlestick, for your reply. I am a bit low on ficances at the moment. think i won't be able to join any of the weightloss programs. :(

I don't have any documents as i have tried all these in Bangladesh (My country). I have been to GP for other weight problem related matters but didn't take any medication prescribed by GP. I bought diet pills myself. But every GP i saw till now asked me to loose weight. I have recently changed my GP. So, what should i do now?

It's more a case of the doctor providing the information on your behalf when he refers you...You don't literally have to take paperwork with you as proof.

Go to your new doctor and tell him all your history of how you have tried in the past.

Good luck.

~X~

This might be what your GP might fill in and send on your behalf;

Prior Approval Form - Bariatric Surgery

Please note that funding for surgery cannot be approved by the prior approval process unless the patient has a BMI of 40 kg/m2 or more, or has a BMI between 35 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2 and other significant disease that could be improved if they lost weight (for example, type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure).

Evidence of the steps in the care pathway that the patient has undergone prior to a request for bariatric surgery are sought in this form. NICE guidance on this care pathway can be accessed at http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf...EGuideline.doc .

Bariatric surgery is recommended as a first-line option (instead of lifestyle interventions or drug treatment) for adults with a BMI of more than 50 kg/m2 in whom surgical intervention is considered appropriate.

Patient Details

1. Surname ______________________ 2. Forename(s) _________________________

3 Address __________________________________________________ ___________

______________________________________ Post Code _______________________

4. Date of Birth ____/____/_______ 5. Patient’s BMI _________________kg/m2

6. In your view, is the patient generally fit for anaesthesia and surgery ?
Yes [ ] No [ ]
7. Is the patient committed to the need for long-term follow-up?
Yes [ ] No [ ]
8. For patients whose BMI is under 50 kg/m2, please give details of all appropriate non-surgical measures that have been tried but have failed to achieve or maintain adequate, clinically beneficial weight loss for at least 6 months. Please include details of any referrals.

Physical Activity Date advice given _____/_____/_______

Details __________________________________________________ ___________

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Dietary Change Date advice given _____/_____/_______.

Details __________________________________________________ ____________

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Drug Interventions

Details of drug prescribed including name of drug(s) prescribed, date first prescribed, duration of treatment and reasons for stopping the drug (where this is relevant)

__________________________________________________ ______________________

__________________________________________________ ______________________

8. For patients whose BMI is between 35 and 40 kg/m2, does the patient have other significant disease that could be improved if they lost weight?
Yes [ ] No [ ]
Please give details of any such disease

Details of person completing this form
This form must be completed by the patient’s GP or by a hospital consultant.

Signature _________________________________ Date _____/_____/________

Name ______________________________________________GP/Consultant*
(* delete as applicable)
Address __________________________________________________ _________

______________________________________________ Post Code _____/_____/_____

Telephone Number __________________________

E-mail Address __________________________________________________ _________

Please complete and return the form by post to ETA Acute Commissioning Manager ETA,

Hi Farzu - do you know the criteria of your own PCT (they are the ones who pay for the op)? Or do you know which PCT it is and others can tell you if they are under the same PCT, as they all differ. If it sticks to NICE guidelines, you won't need anything as your BMI is over 50.
Good luck!! Lorna

Thanks to all of you for all the supporting information. I am under Tower hamlets PCT. I meet the NICE criteria for my PCT as my BMI is 42.3 at the moment. I was very confised about the documents. I'll take another appointment tomorrow with a new Doc. My old Doc gave me a 2nd blood sugar test tomorrow as he thinks that i am diabetic.

Back