• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens at the 1st appointment (with Nurse)

novamay

Born Free
This is the first appointment with the nurse and I know this is where a weight loss target is set :eek:, but what else happens? Are any bloods taken, or does the nurse give you any tests like going on an exercise bike or treadmill, blood pressure, etc? I'm going in December so just wondered what to expect.

Also, how long does the appointment usually take? I might nip into the town afterwards to do a bit of christmas shopping as my appointments at 10am. Anyone know a nice pub nearby where we can stop for lunch?

hiya, at the next appt you will be weighed, then go in to see kim (the bariatric nurse) she will go through your medical history.
Then it's the appt with the dietician, she will go through your weight history and will set you a weight loss target, although those that had lost weight since seminar were given smaller targets or not set a target at all just asked to either maintain or lose as much as they can (as all losses make surgery easier).
you then get to go back into see kim who will discuss your options and you make your decision what op you want.
Then it's off t the shops you go ;o)
takes about an hour/ hour n half.......
hope this helps x

ooooooo forgot to tell you, that while waiting you will be given a sleep study questionaire to decide whether you are at risk of or have sleep apnea (if you score high on this you will go for over night sleep study, i had a device strapped to me over night and took it back t hosi morning after!)

Thanks for replying, I wasn't sure if they strapped you to a treadmill or something like that or did any extra tests... guess they may come later if needed.

Another think I wanted to ask was - do you get the opportunity to be referred for counselling - some people have mentioned that they have been made to do this before being considered for the surgery, but I wondered if you could request this at the appointment.

I don't think I have sleep aponea - I do sleep badly some nights, but just put this down to being a light sleeper with painful joints - that plus a husband who snores and cats who jump on me in the middle of the night don't help. It'll be interesting to see what my score will be for that.

To be honest, I've been a bit up and down with the weight loss since the seminar - I think because it seems so far away to the next appointment you kind of go off track a little and lose a bit of focus. Will just have to get back into the habit of eating smaller portions - which have crept up again! - and cutting out those Freddo bars at work....

Hi Nova, I would agree with what Nikki says with regards to Nurse/Dietician too.
I was also in there for about half an hour. Both the Nurse & Dietician were lovely & easy to talk to (having said that I did have a few tears) mainly just the feeling that someone was actually listening to me & was willing to help me after so many years of yo-yo dieting. It all felt a bit surreal that it was actually happening (still does lol).
The Dietician did mention the counselling available & that it was there as an option if necessary.
I'm sure you'll be fine!! When is your appt? Be sure to let us know how you get on!
Are you driving? only reason I ask is that the parking is not great at SRH so you may need to get there early or park in surrounding area & walk over to hospital.
With regards to Lunch there is a pub on Chester road called The Chesters which does nice food only a 5-10 min walk down from hospital & it has a large car-park xx

result for ya!!! park in pub then walk to appt then pub after loooooool, as Ange said if you feel you need the counciling they will offer that to you.
They are such a lovely bunch at SRH.
what i will say though is at any appt you have you will be weighed and any gains will set you back to the beginning.....what i did is a week before each appt was to stick to slim fast and water tabs just to ensure a good loss ;o) xxx

LOL Nikki ya my kinda gal hun haha .....love the logic of park in pub n then have an excuse to go back there haha sound advice xx

So pleased you asked this question, as I got my appt for Jan 10th to see Kim and I was wondering the same things you asked.
Just to hi jack your thread, sorry, do you or anyone else know if an endoscopy is compulsory and if so when do you have it??? When ive have read other peoples threads some hospitals seem to make patients have one and other people never mention it. This whole process is a bit confusing at times and I am daft enough without asking stupid questions to make me look even dafter,lol.
Theresa xx

So pleased you asked this question, as I got my appt for Jan 10th to see Kim and I was wondering the same things you asked.
Just to hi jack your thread, sorry, do you or anyone else know if an endoscopy is compulsory and if so when do you have it??? When ive have read other peoples threads some hospitals seem to make patients have one and other people never mention it. This whole process is a bit confusing at times and I am daft enough without asking stupid questions to make me look even dafter,lol.
Theresa xx

lol bless ya...... yeah you have to have the endoscopy, this doesn't happen until after your second appt when weight loss has been achievedt, they advise you that they will place ya on waiting list then send an appt through post xxxxxxx

Hi Theresa, I think with the bypass its the norm to have the endoscopy, where as with the band it is nit necessary. My Process was different to Nikki's experience I had appt with nurse & as I had lost over a stone since seminar & it was decided that Bypass was best option for me, I then received my appt for endoscopy & was placed on the list on the day of the endoscopy. But everyone is different I suppose. Its a long journey but sure its worth it xx

Hi Ange, can I just check - you attended the seminar, then had your appointment with nurse 3 or so months later and because you'd lost so much weight and agreed on the wls you'd be having you got a date for endoscopy and then put straight on waitlist? Clever you, talk about fast track.... :thankyouthankyou:
How long did you wait between seeing the nurse and having the endoscopy?

Hi , I waited 4 months from seminar to appt with Nurse, I then saw the nurse in the July & had endoscopy in the September. See Surgeon in December, should have been November but that appt was cancelled. How about you? xx

Oh I'm just starting out. Booked in for seminar on 5th Jan but I've been obsessing over time scales. I'm really hoping the new surgeon means the wait time will now be shorter as I'm taking the kids to Disney for Easter holidays 2012 was hoping to have surgery just before or after xmas 2011. Based on the current wait times that's prob unlikely but after hearing your time scales I now have a new goal of losing as much as possible from seminar to nurse, as you seem to have flew through the process so far x

Hi Newcy,
I think everyone is hopin that the fourth surgeon is gonna have a positive effect in reducing the waitin lists....fingers crossed!!
From going to the seminar in the march I stewed over the fact of what if they dont approve my operation? I did'nt want to be set in a rut any longer.
So I decided in the May that I had to make a change & start to think of it as the start of a positive journey for me regardless of surgery.
That was the point when I "once again" started a slimming class so by the time my appt came with the nurse in the july I was overjoyed that surgery was approved. I slipped off at slimming class but after a few weeks away I re-joined & I am back on track.
I am sure you will do well & if I can help at all then just shout out.
I obviously dont know anywhere near as much as many of the lovely ladies & gents on here but will do what I can....keep smiling xxx

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to ask about the endoscopy - I'd forgot we might need one of those! I hope they have plenty of valium!
I will probably park in the pub and walk to the hospital - it may help to burn off a few extra cals!

Must start being sensible and get myself sorted as I know that Sunderland are strict about the weight loss - for our safety and to make the op easier to do, I guess.

I've got four weeks to the appointment so am going to stick to a sensible diet. I did try to do slimming world (again!) but its changed so much since I last joined and some of the things that were free aren't any more.

I think what I eat generally is ok nutrition-wise (apart from the Freddos); I just eat too big a portion, so will have to get the measuring spoons and scales out and be strict with myself. If its not going well in the next two weeks, I'll try Slimfast or Celebrity Slim for the remainder.

I was quite surprised about the date - 23rd December - that's 15 weeks since seminar, just under the 4 months we were told at seminar. TBH I wasn't expecting an appointment until January - I thought they might close over Christmas / New Year or not make any appointments that near to Christmas. (Thankfully they do!!!)

Them Freddo bars also sneak into my lunch box, lol x

I was quite surprised about the date - 23rd December - that's 15 weeks since seminar, just under the 4 months we were told at seminar. TBH I wasn't expecting an appointment until January - I thought they might close over Christmas / New Year or not make any appointments that near to Christmas. (Thankfully they do!!!)

Juney-P has her op on crimbo eve!!!!

I am trying to get motivated to lose weight before I see the nurse, especially after reading how it helped fast track you Ange, well done, you must be thrilled. My doctor gave me slimming oin referral and i joined slimmimg world last week, but just like you found Nova it has changed and to be honest I have not even tried to follow it and missed the weigh in last night!! Ange, was weight loss class/group did you follow, if you dont mind me asking.
Theresa xx

Hi Theresa I have been doing slimming world too, I love cooking & find there is so much variety. I agree it has changed so much since I had been to class previously but I think its changed for the better. especially the extra easy plan. If you need any help feel free to message me (not that I'm an expert by any means lol) but I will certainly try & help xxx:)

Hi Ange, think I will sit down this morning and have a proper look through the books and info that was given to me last week when i joined slimming world. My next class is next Tuesday and I was not going to go because its my 40th birthday but seeing as life begins at 40 and I am trying to regain control of my life, I will go and hopefully will have a weight loss despite not starting the plan during my first week......was thinking... dont think ive ever had control or I would not have ended up the size I am,lol...
Anyway, any help or tips you can offer will be great Ange, because I have a feeling Its going to take me a little while to try and get into the new routine. Would you mind if I add you as a friend?
Theresa xx

Back