• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens at the first appointment?

LondonIrish

Hi all, I've just been referred to the UCLH in London and I've got my first appointment on the 1st of August. My BMI is 64.

Can anyone give me an idea of what generally happens at the first appointment? The hospital have sent me no info except for my appointment time! Do I have bloods taken? If I do, do I need to starve before or can I have brekkie? Who else will I see?

As you can tell, I'm really nervous and I want to know everything already!

I wasn't at your hospital & I understand tht different hospitals have different procedures.
On my first appointment I had to go for the majority of the day. First I was weighed, blood pressure & height taken. Bloods taken didn't have to starve. Then had an appointment with dietician. Then we had a classroom session about the various operations, what we can expect from operation, the operation procedures, eating pre & post op. then lunch. Then appointment with surgeon to discuss my case , advice on wht he could do for me, how long etc. hope that gives you an idea.

I had a group session before any appointments after my referal , then after that I had a 2 week wait until seeing the consultant to discuss which op would be best for me, I was weighed and had blood taken at this appointment, but didn't need to fast.
The whole thing took about an hour at most.

Back