• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is MDT?

Hi all,

What does MDT stand for and what is it?
Reading through various threads, I get the impression that its the all important decision-making-hoop we have to jump through for WLS... Is that right?

multi disciplinary team..... its the appointment where you meet the dietician the anaesthetist and the surgeon :) its the point where they all decide your fate LOL and also when you find out whether you going on the list , and when LOL its a long old day all the appointments are separate, they also weigh you and do the all important swab tests too

hope that helps :)

Thanks Crystal :)

So its the BIG one then........ the final hoop to be jumped through.....

yup lol they never did explain the enormity of the day.... it was long and emotional ....a lot of hanging around to see everyone.... then i believe they all get together and say 'yay or nay' its pretty much the very last hurdle .......for me it was then several weeks till i got my letter saying i was on the list :)

The process varies by provider. Mine was at St Mary's Paddington, the Imperial Weight Loss Centre.

I had to be there for 8am.

First up was bloods. They took 11 different vials of blood.

Then they showed a video about RNY-bypass, sleeve and band.

Then I met with a research fellow, to sign some consent forms for liver biopsy during my surgery.

Then I saw the dietician. This was when I learned that Imperial doesn't believe in tier 3, they think it's a pointless exercise.

Finally I saw the surgeon, around 11am or so. As my case was easy, according to the surgeon, he said I don't need to worry, even though they need to have their MDT meeting, I'll get the surgery.

The MDT meeting for my MDT day was actually 10 days later. They do them once a week, on a Thursday at 10am. I called-up around 1pm and was given a date for surgery just two and a half weeks later, meaning I had to start my pre-op diet in 4 days time.

I'd also seen the shrink some 4 weeks prior.

Good luck!

Thanks Dave,

It does sound like a massive and long day - and what's the betting nobody manages to sleep much the night before???!!!!!!!! :eek:

I'm a long way off that day yet, (my first appointment next month) but it helps when reading around the forum and researching in general, to know what these abbreviations mean and what people are talking about :)

Thanks Dave, It does sound like a massive and long day - and what's the betting nobody manages to sleep much the night before???!!!!!!!! :eek: I'm a long way off that day yet, (my first appointment next month) but it helps when reading around the forum and researching in general, to know what these abbreviations mean and what people are talking about :)

I slept like a log, but I'd assumed it was just my pre-op, so didn't think much of it to be honest. It was a good opportunity to build rapport with the surgeon and support team though. I'm in regular e-mail contact with my surgeon and now I'm a Wls champion for the hospital too; they invite me to come along to Wls events for surgeons/medics and I also talk to potential Wls patients.

If others can benefit from my experience, I'm all for it.

Back