• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is the best way to 'get the mail moving' on pre-op diet?

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
I have been reading that some people get constipated during their pre-op liver shrinking diet. How have the 'losers' dealt with this?

Fibreclear, fybogel or senokot sachets are gentle and get the motions going (not had surgery but use it for normal irritable bowel syndrome constipation that sometimes occurs now and used it during very low calorie dieting)

Both Shel and I highly recomend Benefibre daily supplement which is tasteless, textureless and can be added to hot or cold beverages. I have had serious issues with IBS my whole life (as have many obese people) and I found this helped even before surgery. You can find it at most chemists and some grocery stores.

yup, <insert shel's standard benefibre rant here>.

But if your bunged up now, take something to shift it like senakot and then start the benefibre.

Knew you would post on here shel...lol....I have to say I will be purchasing some tomorrow as I am not going as often as I would like....xx

I am really struggling to drink water, I have a litre bottle and get through that in a day but not much more and dont know how to increase it. Every day I fill the bottle earlier but dont start drinking it until I sit down to watch tv when I sip away till its gone...any suggestions greatfully received...xx

CG, I snagged this from a post I made earlier tonight. Maybe it will help.;)

Just thought of a tip that may be a bit of a 'duh':doh: to help those who struggle to get their fluids in (me for sure):

Make your fluids count towards your daily food intake. For example, I have been advised to consume at the puree stage 6 servings of protein, 2 servings fruit, 2 servings veg and 2 servings carb.

If I have a milky tea that = 200-400 mls fluids and counts as a protein

If I have a glass of juice (serving is 100ml), I water it down and I get 200mls of fluid & I can count it towards fruit.

If I have a smoothie I make with milk, yogurt and some fresh fruit I get 300-400 mls of fluid & I can count a protein & fruit.

If I have a glass of tomato juice, I can count the 100mls toward my fluids and count it as a veg. I also can add 200mls of stock (beef or chicken) to it, heat it in the micro and then I have a protein, veg and 200-400 mls of fluid. I use V8 which is kinda spicy so it lends itslef to a soup.

Just thought I would add this in case it did not occur to you already. Hope it helps.;)

no shares lol. it has just worked wonders for me, I don't get constipated or have the runs anymore, and as someone with quite bad IBS (got to the stage where I was scared to go somewhere if I didn't know where there were toilets on the way and there) that is a miracle.

CG, I snagged this from a post I made earlier tonight. Maybe it will help.;)

Just thought of a tip that may be a bit of a 'duh':doh: to help those who struggle to get their fluids in (me for sure):

Make your fluids count towards your daily food intake. For example, I have been advised to consume at the puree stage 6 servings of protein, 2 servings fruit, 2 servings veg and 2 servings carb.

If I have a milky tea that = 200-400 mls fluids and counts as a protein

If I have a glass of juice (serving is 100ml), I water it down and I get 200mls of fluid & I can count it towards fruit.

If I have a smoothie I make with milk, yogurt and some fresh fruit I get 300-400 mls of fluid & I can count a protein & fruit.

If I have a glass of tomato juice, I can count the 100mls toward my fluids and count it as a veg. I also can add 200mls of stock (beef or chicken) to it, heat it in the micro and then I have a protein, veg and 200-400 mls of fluid. I use V8 which is kinda spicy so it lends itslef to a soup.

Just thought I would add this in case it did not occur to you already. Hope it helps.;)

Thanks for this Nic I will def give it a go...your a star...xx

no shares lol. it has just worked wonders for me, I don't get constipated or have the runs anymore, and as someone with quite bad IBS (got to the stage where I was scared to go somewhere if I didn't know where there were toilets on the way and there) that is a miracle.

I am getting to the point were I only go if I have the runs and that is not often enough so its top of my list for today...will let you know how I get on....xx

Back