• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What not to tell the psychiatrist ??

angelajoy1961

Bypass on 23rd June
Having read that Erin (hope you're feeling great xx) had her surgery delayed as she told the psychiatrist that she had an upset and could have eaten a family bag of crisps so she got put into the 'emotional eaters group', I'm concerned about what the psych. is going to ask and what I should/shouldn't say.
Any tips from those of you who have been there already please as I really don't want to balls this up !!

Thanks muchly Angela xx

They know that lots of us got the way we are because of emotional eating etc. I think that they only want to know that you don't have eating disorder like bulimia and that you are mentally ready for the change. I did have some counselling and it was fine all well now.

I was just honest with her, I do sometimes emotionally as do most people but mainly my downfall was big portions and bad food choices. I dont think there are right and wrong answers but they like to know that you understand what the surgery entails both before and after the op......good luck XX

Try not and worry too much as thye know we have aproblem with food or we wouldn't be there. I was just very truthful and when asked why I over ate I said for too many reasons to make sense of anymore. I know I ate fro comfort and initially this was due to childhood issues. However now I eat as I just feel the whole weight thing is too big at 21stone for me to tackle alone anymore and had put weight on through overeating because my weight had become all absorbing. I let him know I had rsearched everything possible about the bypass and kne it was just a tool to help me. What I put in my mouth was still going to be my decision and I have started making better choices already.

Just tell the truth hun and you will be fine.

Good luck

Linski xxx

Agreed with everyone else...I discussed my eating issues, where I think they'd come from and what I thought I could do with the help of the bypass to overcome them. He thought I was very 'together' and agreed to WLS, no problem.
They really are there to help you.
I do understand what you mean about being cautious though.
Grace xxx

Hunny, just be honest. If you purposely leave something out incase it gets your op delayed it could lead to you struggling with life post-op. xxxxx

there is no right or wrong answers sweets. go in there be honest, if it means a couple of weeks delay on op, while you have more appointments with physc then so be it, at least your head will mentally be in the right place for life after surgery.. otherwise maybe just maybe a whole heap of underlying problems could resurface when your all ready feeling physically drained from surgery you dont want any mental strain weighing you down either xx

Hi Angela..

I have been told(by other L&Ders)to just tell the truth..and what will be will be..

I personally am not an emotional eater...but I am a large volume eater and looooove my carbs....the dietician is going to grill me more lol..
I think you will be fine....i will inbox you ..xx

Be truthful about your eating habits lovey, but if they think you have a lot of stress on at home or you are feeling depressed they could suggest you go for councelling or try depression tabs till your mind is right for surgery.

I got through it ok, but the woman told me that if i had sat and told her that i felt depressed which i didnt at the time she would have recommended that i do the above.

You will be ok lovey xxx

Hello precious,
I would be yourself and be as open as you are able, if there are any issues which can be sorted pre surgery, it's much better I would feel to take your time with these... just relax and use the opportunity since you can get a great deal out of these appointments... they are not there to trip us up, but to highlight and assist with any obstacles... I enjoyed my chat very much in all honest... so I'm wishing you luck and hope you get along ok with this.

Love and hugs xxx

I told her everything and due to my state of mind at the time I had to wait an extra month before they would let me start the 5%. I saw her the xmas eve and was very depressed at the time due to a few different reasons, she told me to go to my GP and get back on the prozac which i did and was is very good spirits when I when back abd she then let me start the 5%

As others have said, there really is no right and wrong, because it's you being honest with yourself and with the psychiatrist.

And of course, remember, he/she is a psychiatrist and will probably be able to see through you if you don't tell the truth.

If it helps, my experience was that I went in feeling VERY defensive and frightened that he would stop my surgery. I ended up seeing him three more times over the following three months. I was upset at first, thinking that everything was being delayed. But in the grand scheme, what's another three months or so out of a lifetime of being overweight? I really felt those sessions helped me and looking back am glad I had to go through it.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks sooooo much for all your replies lovelies. My main problem is that I over-analyise everything and try to work out all the possible outcomes and then I panic myself lol. I don't thing I have any issues with eating other than I do too much of it !! I am on anti-depressants but they are to do with the complications with my son's birth and that is where the over-eating habit started. My first husband was very controlling and I was always very aware of what I was allowed to eat and not allowed to eat. His first wife was from Serbia and went home for 3 months and came back weighing loads more so he didn't even recognise her apparently so I wasn't allowed to gain any weight. When we separated I gained a bit of weight as I ate all the things that I wanted to instead of what I was allowed to but as I say the rest of it went on as my son was in hospital for his first 3 months and I used to go to the hospital restaurant 6-7 times in 24 hours just to get off the ward.
Do you know how many fried breakfasts you can eat in 24 hours ?? It's a lot I can tell you lol.
I guess the eating then was also a control thing for me as I couldn't help with my son so it gave me something to focus on.
Now I graze from boredom / habit.
Do you think if I tell the psych. the above I'll be referred for counselling or more appointments ?

Angela

hi, i just want to earmark this so i can explain what happened tonight when i have more time.
PS. Erin is now bypassed and has lost 7lbs in the first 10 days.

One thing I've found with psychiatrists is that you often go in there planning to say one thing, and come out having spilled your guts about a whole lot more lol. Just be honest with them. I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of we morbidly obese patients have a problem with emotional eating. They just need to know that you recognise it's an issue and that you have thought about how you're going to manage when that coping mechanism isn't available to you anymore. I'm a more extreme example because I have a long history of mental illness, but my doctor wanted me to think about whether i would resort back to my old habits of self harming or drinking. I had to have some therapy before they would agree to go ahead. My emotions still get the better of me and I over eat, but I'm a lot better than I was and have learned to be nicer to myself and reward with bubble baths or facials etc instead. I anticipate that it will still be very hard when I'm newly post op though, but I'm prepared to deal with it.

I don't actually think I am an emotional eater - I just tend to eat whenever I pass the kitchen !! I'm reassured by all the replies from you kind ladies, so I am now lookin for other things to be doing instead of cruising the fridge. Hopefully my crafty shed will be up and running by then and I can lock myself away in there. I'm also going to have my nail extensions done again as I love painting my nails and doing nail art and ... you can't make a sandwich with wet nails !!

i broke down in front of lady i saw, she kept digging into a very violent past my kids and i experienced ( thankgod my kids wernt in the room- as they were too young to remember most of it) in the end i did tell her to stop going on (oops) and thankfully she did, she was understanding and later agreed i was stable enough mentally for the op,

xxx

Back