• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What should I have in the house for post-op?

clairus!

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for a couple of weeks and you have all already been really helpful in getting to grips with the realities of post-op life (band) but now I have a question...

I have my op booked in for Monday 12th and wondered if any of you could recommend the foods I should (or shouldnt'!) have in the house. I already have the information from the hospital but wondered if there were any tips or tricks out there?

Thanks for you help!

Soz not sure if band peeps have the same diet in the first weeks as bypass peeps but if they do how bout getting a few nice clear soups maybe try then now to see what u like but dont buy 2 many as many say their taste buds change also how about some yoghurt's and i think some have mentioned they buy some sugar free custard (not sure if i have that one right lol )
Good luck with surgery xxx

Immidiately post op the diet for a a bander is the same as for a bypasser, liquids for a specified time followed by a period of sloppies !

To be honest i wouldn't buy anything in bulk as most people find there tastes change post op, i'd planned to have soups and stuff like that and found they tasted different and i didn't fancy them, the only thing that tasted the same post op was Heinz tomatoe soup, personally i'd just wait and see what you fancy and how it goes

Hi Clairus and:welcome2: to minis. I'm a bander and I had soups,slimfast shakes and yoghurts. These go down really easy. After this I started with runny porridge,weetabix and mash with plenty of gravy (you could even add some mint sauce to give it a kick).I bought the frozen mash from Morrisons as you only cook the amount you need so no waste.Please remember to drink plenty through the day as this will help you feel full and keep you hydrated.Good luck with your op and just ask if you need any help. There are loads of banders here to offer advicexx

Thanks everyone - really useful - especially about not stocking up on too much stuff!

Fingers crossed for Monday! (argh! so excited!!!!) :)

You might enjoy a big bag of ice as I now enjoy ice in my drinks. I also add fiber sure to my drinks and food. I also added sanatogen protien powder which I got from boots, you can add it to drinks, soups and other foods.

Also treat yourself to a nice bubble bath or a fancy skin treatment as you might fancy spoiling yourself instead of eating all those naughty thanks.

Weight Watchers Tomato soup (small can) is very nice and only 70-ish calories. I found that I could eat half a tin for dinner and the other half for tea alongside a SF yog for breakfast (thinned with milk if needed) and plenty of water sipped through a straw. I also had chicken and beef stock as a warm drink if I felt hungry (I used those weird 'stockpots' that are like jelly).
Also, Smoothie lollies (del monte) were nice as it was summer when I had my op, probably not as nice in autumn hehe.
Hope this helps x

Hi i have my op on friday 9th, so just before you! I see someone suggests drinking through a straw, but i was told not too because of wind? Can anyone answer that? I have bought as well as what the others mentioned Cadburys hilights hot chocolate as its cold now - its low cal! And fat free lollys for a sweet taste x Havent bought too much as like said not sure what will fancy so going to send my visitors to the shops! Good luck with your op

When I was in hospital straight after the op I was given a beaker with a very small straw (like the one you get on a ribena carton) so I couldnt take massive mouthfuls. I guess if your worried about wind you could use a sports cap type bottle top to drink from, probably easier when your out and about too.

If you havnt got one already then invest in a hand blender, thats your most valued kitchen appliance you will ever need, easy to clean too!! the cheapest one I have ever seen was in Tesco there own brand at a whopping £3.75.:eek: Gail P.s they are still in stock as well PPS sorry I dont know if its the same for banders as it is for the bypass.

I don't know if you have anyone else to cook for; but the hardest thing I found was putting home made stews etc on the table for them others. So I'd recommend stocking up the freezer so you don't have to do it after, I was so tired after it wasn't funny.

Also one of the most usful things I had was a great big stock, made from a whole chicken and a couple of ham hocks. You can drink that on it's own, or with sanatagen or build up, and later wiz a few veggies into it, very comforting too.

Good luck on Mon

Hey everyone,

Firstly thanks so much to all of your for your advice - all really good and lots of things I hadn't thought of!

Empress Paula... good luck!!! My op was meant to be tomorrow too but my surgeon is ill so I've been bumped to Monday (not too upset though... I now have Dr Super who I understand is excellent - I'm not too worried about his personal opinions as long as he's good!!! and him doing it seems to have calmed down my parents a LOT who were very worried about me getting this done)

Luckily I only need to cook for myself so can just do whatever I need to.

On another question though... when you're in the soft food stage how easy is it to find something to eat when you're in a restaurant? I have a couple of work dinners coming up towards the end of the month and don't want to draw attention to myself or anything. Any more top tips???

Thanks again - reckon you are all stars! :)

Hi Clairus
Where are you having the op? Birmingham Heartlands? I have Dr Super too so will fill you in all about it when i get back so you are prepared, any questions you need to know about the procedure if at Heartlands let me know and i will try and answer for you! x

Hi Paula,

Not at heartlands - I'm at Dolan Park - hoping it's OK. I've heard mixed reviews but I don't think it's going to matter too much - I spoke to Dr Super the other day and all being well I'm going to be going home the same day!!! Seems a bit crazy but reassuring!

Good luck for tomorrow... I'll be thinking of you and having my fingers crossed!

Back