• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What should your BMI be?

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
I have no co-morbidities and I'm just a squidge over 40 on the bmi.

If I was to get referred to tier 3, they'll expect me to lose weight. If I lose weight and go under 40, will it be a case that I no longer meet the requirements and get turned down for surgery? But if I don't lose the weight they expect, then I'll get turned down for not being committed?

I guess I'm asking - do I need to have a higher bmi than I have currently?

After 25 years of dieting it goes against the grain to actually want to gain some weight.

I asked that question tonight at the group meeting and I was told that as long as I lost 5+kgs and kept it off even if I was a normal bmi I could have it done as long as no medical reasons not to have it.. As I've yo yoed for 30 years.. But that could just be for County Durham xx

I was worried about that in the beginning but I was told its your bmi at referral that is considered for meeting the criteria. If you meet your weight loss target and do everything asked its ok.
I found that to be true, had my surgery at a bmi of about 36.

Thanks Freddy's mum.

I've yo yo'd my entire life but especially since my late teens. After 25 years of it, I KNOW that any diet I do will fail beyond the short term. I lost over 11st on lighter life, but I've gained 7 of those back and it's been a battle to keep it to that.

Thank you too su2ie.

I feel better now!

I am glad someone else says the same.. I'm so excited at the thought that this time next year hopefully I will be on the other side of this journey xd

I'm guessing your at the beginning of your journey I am too just wanted to say hi and maybe we can help each other out on any questions

Hi Sjwood, yes, I'm at the start of this journey. It's been a long journey to get here though.

I'm still in a place where I have doubts. I haven't finished moving doctors yet to be able to start the process. Subconsciously I must be holding back. Will try to do that tomorrow.

Hi Sjwood, yes, I'm at the start of this journey. It's been a long journey to get here though. I'm still in a place where I have doubts. I haven't finished moving doctors yet to be able to start the process. Subconsciously I must be holding back. Will try to do that tomorrow.

Hi Sjwood

I am also at the start of this journey too with the same doubts and worries as you. I find it helps to know lots of other people are worried about the same things.
I phoned Luton & Dunstable, they also said it was the weight at referral to Tier 3 that is the starting point.

Hi serenity valley and Bella's mum It's nice to hear from people who are just starting out like myself I've just received my confirmation letter for my seminar date I've known date since gp referral last month but feels so good to have it confirmed from sunderland hospital where I have seminar feels more real now I don't know nothing of tier 3 my letter said surgery only so I'm thinking I don't need to do this I think it depends where abouts you live x

Last edited:
I've decided to go private. I want to use the same surgeon that my wife used and i don't want to go through the whole rigmarole of the nhs.

Just need my loan to be accepted tonight (shouldn't be a problem - they've already indicated they would accept my application at the rate i want). Then book with surgeon towards end of March.

Yes the whole nhs process is a put off the amount of time some people have waited is silly good luck on your upcoming op won't be long and you will be on the other side wish I was but not going to happen for a while with nhs lol

Back