• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to expect

Helski

Hi everyone
Thank you all so much for the help and support you've offered so far. I've paid my deposit. I start the pre-op diet on Monday and I have some questions.

What is 202020 that I keep seeing mentioned?

I haven't heard anything at all from my provider as yet. Should I be expecting a phone call or do I just turn up at the hospital on the given day?

Do they stay in touch after the operation? I am with HW.

When it comes to fills, are there various times etc open to choose from. I work away Monday to Thursday so it won't be so easy to get to the hospital (if that's where they do it).

What is banders hell?

Sorry for all of the questions.

H
:confused:

What is 202020 that I keep seeing mentioned?

This is to do with the way you eat. So take a small mouthful, chew for 20 seconds, wait for 20 seconds and only eat for a maximum of 20 minutes, leaving whatever is left.

Some providers, my own included follow a 30/30/20 so chew for 30 seconds, wait for 30 seconds and only eat for 20 mins. You may also find as well, when you get further in to having restriction that you need to wait much longer between mouthfuls to allow the food to pass through.

This timing is to slow you down, to allow the food to pass through, but more so, it can take 20 mins for the receptors at the top of the stomach to tell the brain you're no longer hungry, so by slowing it down, only having those minimal mouthfuls you in turn end up eating less because the brain has been told that you're no longer hungry. With the band, you need to only eat until you're no longer hungry, not until you're full or "stuffed".

I haven't heard anything at all from my provider as yet. Should I be expecting a phone call or do I just turn up at the hospital on the given day?
Your provider should send full information about your surgery, times etc. Some do a pre-op visit, some do things by phone. Depending on provider this often comes out between 7-10 days before surgery, but if you're concerned call them :) Just seeing who your provider is (same as mine!) that yes its normally about 10 days prior to surgery it will come out

Do they stay in touch after the operation? I am with HW.
They will come to see you before you leave the hospital, then they will call you about 3-5 days post op to do a check, at this point they will book your appointment for your first fill. Then you have a 24 hour number to call them on should you need it. You can call them at anytime, email too. After your first fill, they then leave it up to you to make further appointments and contact them anytime you have any problems.

When it comes to fills, are there various times etc open to choose from. I work away Monday to Thursday so it won't be so easy to get to the hospital (if that's where they do it).
HW have their fill schedule. They do have weekend appointments in Manchester. Birmingham clinics tend to be tuesdays and sometimes thursdays. They used to do one on a saturday afternoon one saturday per month, but this was stopped although there is consideration that this will start again. Where are you based? Fills are either London, Cardiff, Birmingham or Manchester. Most appointments are in the week however.

What is banders hell?

Where have you seen this mentioned?

Ps. Never apologise for asking questions - its what the forum and we are here for. If you have any questions specifically regarding HW I'm more than happy to answer them for you and help :)

What is banders hell?

I've seen it mentioned in various threads. It seems to be the period before restriction? So you have the band but no restrication. Although I'm not sure. Doesn't sound like fun!

What is banders hell?

I've seen it mentioned in various threads. It seems to be the period before restriction? So you have the band but no restrication. Although I'm not sure. Doesn't sound like fun!

I wouldn't describe it as hell - its just one of those things that comes with having a band, that it can take a while to find restriction. Until you get there, you will have times when you have hunger feelings and its hard to stick to the portion sizes but its at this time that you need to stick to your guns. Draw on your willpower and motivation and be careful what you eat. Just because you can eat it all, doesn't mean that you should.

The band isn't easy. It can take a while to get restriction - I had no restriction post surgery for 13 months, then they gave me a 1ml fill because I had none and it took me over restricted - compared to having no restriction THAT was banders hell! Being over restricted is much worse than having no restriction, but until you do get to a point of restriction, which may take one or two fills, or it may take 8, 9 or 10. It is still down to you what you put in your mouth, just as much as it is when you have restriction.

The band will only do a small part of the work, the rest is down to you - this can push your limits when the restriction isn't there, but that's banded life. Stick to the guidelines, follow what HW tell you (they give quite detailed suggestions and things in terms of food, portion sizes etc) so if you stick to that then there's no reason why it won't work.

Good luck ss

Xx I meant that instead of ss. Sorry x

Top Kat has answered your q's but just wanted to say good luck I am so glad I had the band I am so much healthier and life is so much fuller

Back