• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what to expect

linz30

hi all I'm new to this and just wanted some info as I'm going to Walsall manor hospital on the 21st of September to see the surgery team as it says on my letter just wanted to ask people about what you expect and etc and how long it will take and what to expect???

from the beginning I'm 30 I have twin daughters and from the age of 10 ive always struggled with my weight ive had no help at all until now been on weight loss groups ive done slimming world weight watchers and last year was on oralstat slimming tablets nothing has worked so my DR refer me to a local dietician and she said my bmi was very high at the moment it is 53 but the only thing I must say I suffer is my legs and back I have no other medical conditions but there is a history of heart problems from my parent so anyway the dietician said I needed to ask my doctor to refer me went back to docs and after a week later got a letter to go and see the surgery team.

any help at all would really appreciate it thanks.

Hannah2

Hi and welcome! Each area/team are different so I cannot give you timescales. Hopefully there will be others from Walsall that will be able to answer you. With a BMI over 50 you should be ok for the surgical pathway without any other conditions but it does depend on your area/team

Best advice is research research and research some more - work out if life after WLS is something you and your family can adjust to and work around. If you are not able to change your habits/choices then it will be difficult to be successful. Make sure you understand your relationship with food and what needs to change. You will read this a lot........ "they operate on our stomachs not our heads".

Good luck and keep posting!

linz30

thank you for your feedback my dietician told me to do loads of research to I suppose time will tell when I go to the appointment and see what happens from there hopefully fingers crossed all will be good I post on here after ive been its just a lengthy process.

Tracietxx

Hi ..im under Walsall aswell...ive just been passed for surgery..my first appointment was in March. Where i saw the dietician and Mr heartland I was talked through the different operations with him...the dietician gave me a 1 stone goal to loose which I did ..i went to see psychologist last week who accepted me so now just the anethacist and a group session to go then ill be listed ..been told to expect surgery jan/feb..so a year exactly after I first went xx

sarahloveswelshcobs

I think my bmi was about 45 ish at it's worst.

I worried about not being able to eat anything... about being hungry... about feeling I was missing out ... and would I still enjoy life !

For me, it's the best thing I ever did... but you will have a considerable time sorting your head out and keep buying stuff you won't can't eat

The hunger isnt there, and I soon felt liberated not to WANT anything in the supermarket.

I've just had a second lot of wls to get me to target goal. The first lot a few years ago has been highly successful and I lost about 65% of my excess... but doing it again this time should lose me similar or more of my excess from my current weight.

Sometimes now I get HANGRY. Really hangry. (head hunger and it makes me angry)

Got family staying atm, and it was decided to get takeout curry tonight. So, they all had loads of curry and naan breads etc and I had a one egg omlet.

Jealous ? Yes - for an hour. Hungry or craving it ? The idea - not the food. Total head hunger only.

I have no regrets at all - just a pang that I'll never sit and eat a massive take out. But hey - that's a great thing and a blesssing.

Differences from 22st ?

well - walking and general movement is totally different
it's dead easy to wipe your bum !?!
I fit in normal seats incl aeroplanes and can wear knee length boots.
I'm more social and feel less alienated

You need to re-train your brain though. If you go back to your old ways after the first year or two, you will put weight back on..

HTH

linz30

hi tracie that's great you soon will be on your wls journey I bet there has been a lot of highs and lows for you its all a bit daunting isn't it I have my hopes up but told not to expect anything so I suppose time will tell.
hi sarah lol hangry never used or heard those words before I think for me its going to be hard if they do consider me for wls as I have no support at all kind of worried in the process.

Jillybean8

Hi,
I'm in Spain and I was on the hospital list for 4 years. I have type 2 diabetes and they sent me on nutrition courses for ages. They said I would be faster as I had diabetes but it still took 4 years!
Jill

hi all I'm new to this and just wanted some info as I'm going to Walsall manor hospital on the 21st of September to see the surgery team as it says on my letter just wanted to ask people about what you expect and etc and how long it will take and what to expect???

from the beginning I'm 30 I have twin daughters and from the age of 10 ive always struggled with my weight ive had no help at all until now been on weight loss groups ive done slimming world weight watchers and last year was on oralstat slimming tablets nothing has worked so my DR refer me to a local dietician and she said my bmi was very high at the moment it is 53 but the only thing I must say I suffer is my legs and back I have no other medical conditions but there is a history of heart problems from my parent so anyway the dietician said I needed to ask my doctor to refer me went back to docs and after a week later got a letter to go and see the surgery team.

any help at all would really appreciate it thanks.