• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What Aftercare Should We Expect?

Snowcrystal

What after-care would you all expect from your provider of the WLS that you have had?...(Or waiting to have?).

I have read many times on Mini's how bad their after-care is and the impact that has...So I wondered what is reasonable to expect.

I was told that we would see the dietician
We would be seen 6 weeks after surgery
then 3 - 6 months after
then a year after

but we could contact the team any time

(((hugs)))

Last edited:
I was seen a couple of days after the op with an hospital visit then I had a appointment 4 weeks after the op. That included a weigh in and general chat to see how I was feeling.

I was doing so well I was told to carry on the good work and see them in 3 months time.

I was told to ring if I had any questions too.

What after-care would you all expect from your provider of the WLS that you have had?...(Or waiting to have?).

I have read many times on Mini's how bad their after-care is and the impact that has...So I wondered what is reasonable to expect.

I was told that we would see the dietician
We would be seen 6 weeks after surgery
then 3 - 6 months after
then a year after

but we could contact the team any time

(((hugs)))

Hi Snow, could it be the bad aftercare you have heard about was from private patients. If from NHS that is totally unacceptable. NHS standards for post-op patients are rigourous.

You are right though. There should be a five week - give or take one week - post op appt, where baseline bloods will be checked and multivits and micronutrients regime may be started if a bypass has been done. You will be weighed. An examination of the wound will be carried out. You will get a chance to ask questions, and be advised by the doctor of any matters. Blood tests will be done and a letter about that appointment and what has occurred will be written to your GP, together with the blood tests printout which will also be sent to your GP.

3 months post-op there is another check, again a physical and blood tests again similar to the 5 week post-op appt and a letter with blood test printout sent to your GP about the appt. You may be started on B12 injections if the 3 month post-op appt shows you are deficient, and these injections may be every three months, given by your GP. If hair loss starts to become a problem you may be advised to take something like zinc and selenium or kelp, but that will be up to the individual doctor you see. You may be advised to start exercising and the doctor at the hospital will tell you how. We are not talking hard cardio etc though!

6 months post op, the same thing happens again. Weighed again the weight should be coming off nicely, and a 1kg to 2kg loss per week average is considered good. Blood tests will show any deficiencies. You will be asked how your eating is going, etc.

Again, another appt at one year post-op, then annual post-op appts. Each time you are weighed, blood taken, a letter sent by hospital to your GP explaining your progress, etc.

At 18 month post op a woman can be safe if she wants to start to become pregnant.

At any time you should be able to contact your hospital who did your bypass if you have any concerns, and you should have access to a mobile number for the nurse or dietician should you need immediate advice. Likewise at any time if you feel something is not right, and you can't get hold of anyone, you should preferably go to the A&E of the hospital where you had your bypass, as they have your casenotes and details on the computer system, but failing that go to your local A&E.

Hope that helps.

PS A good website is all you need to get the answers, but any donations to my fund to get a new 3 piece suite will be gratefully received!!!

Walsall Manor have never sent any of my blood test results to my Dr. When I asked why they said cause they aint in the area and if I wanted my doctor to have them to put on my records The Dr will have to contact them and ask for them

I haven't gone to any of my check-ups as they are too far away (I can do all the checks at home that they would do), have seen my GP tho' and the nurse & dietitian are in constant contact with me, they e-mail me and I send them weekly diet sheets - they are really friendly. I have to go see my surgeon in 2 weeks back over in Manchester for the post-op check. I think I get support for a year but would have to double check that.

Hi Snow, could it be the bad aftercare you have heard about was from private patients. If from NHS that is totally unacceptable. NHS standards for post-op patients are rigourous.

Hi Lady

No, not necessarily about that but in general...

I just wondered what after-care should there be as a minimum for a WLS patient.

There have been many post-op's on Mini's that I read about who have had really bad and virtually non existent after-care...so as a pre-op potential patient of WLS I just wanted to know what I should expect as a minimum.

We'll let you know about the donations...lol.

(((hugs)))

Last edited:
I haven't gone to any of my check-ups as they are too far away (I can do all the checks at home that they would do), have seen my GP tho' and the nurse & dietitian are in constant contact with me, they e-mail me and I send them weekly diet sheets - they are really friendly. I have to go see my surgeon in 2 weeks back over in Manchester for the post-op check. I think I get support for a year but would have to double check that.

I suppose as long as the GP is involved there should not be a problem with your after-care...Having the dietician at your disposal has to be a major plus.

Good luck with your Manchester check up in 2 weeks, it will give you a chance to sort out any worries you might have.

(((hugs)))

Walsall Manor have never sent any of my blood test results to my Dr. When I asked why they said cause they aint in the area and if I wanted my doctor to have them to put on my records The Dr will have to contact them and ask for them

How bad was that!!!...seems to me they are making double the work load for themselves with that attitude....So how is your Doctor supposed to help you?

(((hugs)))

I suppose as long as the GP is involved there should not be a problem with your after-care...Having the dietician at your disposal has to be a major plus.

Good luck with your Manchester check up in 2 weeks, it will give you a chance to sort out any worries you might have.

(((hugs)))

BTW TPT what bike do you ride?
what do you think about Goldwings?

My husband used to have a couple of Goldwings when he was still back in the States....But I know he misses them.

(((hugs)))

Back