• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to take abroad

A few diet shake packs and a mixer cup for when you're in the airport, on your way or way back, and the first night here. Unless you go out for a meal. I didn't want to spoil my pre op so I didn't, as I only had a week to lose enough.

I've got some whey protein powder I will probably take, you just add it to water or milk. Is tea or coffee available in the hospital? what is it like, do I need to being some of my own teabags?

I've got some whey protein powder I will probably take, you just add it to water or milk. Is tea or coffee available in the hospital? what is it like, do I need to being some of my own teabags?
I think the Czech drink as much tea as the Brits! Also as much beer!

Wobble, make sure your protein is in packs or you may not get it through the airport. They serve fruit tea daily in a big jug, which is nice, squash really, but you're not given anything else until you can have things post op. Eg yoghurt drink for breakfast, and sometimes a coffee, if you can call it that(not good), soup, shake, but that's not until day 3 post op. There is a coffee machine in the lobby though that is apparently nice.

So you may want to take tea bags, I'm sure they would allow them. If you want to use the coffee machine you will need Czech crowns.

Just a few other tips before I leave so that hopefully wobble or Peggy can make use of them:
After your op you will be incommunicado for a good few hours, so tell friends and family that they won't hear from you for about 12 hours. Even then you'll only be up to sending a text or two. Give them the docs number if they feel they must ring.

My room has a lockable wardrobe, so I could put my laptop away etc, but angees doesn't, so share if you can, or give to the nurses to look after. There has been no security problems here but you never know. In fact it feels very safe!

Safe journey home!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using WLSurgery

Just thought of a few more:
*Any recent test results that might be of interest (blood, gastroscopy, other medical reports)
*Medical healthcards or private health insurance cards.
*Copy of travel insurance documents, if you have any, and contact numbers.
*Contacts details of your doctor back home, as well as contact details of family in case of complications.
Yes I had a gastroscopy in UK just before I left and took my report which meant I did not have to have one in Turnov, although they do sedate patients here so it is not so bad

Thanks to Angee, Becky and Claire for all the useful information you've gained and provided to make all our journey's alot less stressful, I feel so much more relaxed about it all now and it's all down to you. Good luck with the next steps of your journey and here's to us all raising a glass in our slims arms at Christmas :)

All the best to you Suzi and I hope everything goes well for you xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using WLSurgery

Good luck to anyone on their way, there and coming back from Turnov. Thank you for all the info so far, I know there will be more to come. I am going in 2 weeks to Dr H for a sleeve so seeing everyone's positive experiences has settled my anxiety. I am eagerly awaiting everyone's updates.

Thanks Angee, let me know what you find out. I might enquire the same of my surgeons at work before I go, though Insuspect they use the anti sickness injections
Had my gastric band surgery 24hrs ago at Turnov. I had nausea right when I woke up from the general anaesthesia in the post op room and was quickly transfered up to my room, given a shot and something intravenously. Don't know what it was, but it sure took care of the horrible feeling of nausea, thirst, heat, sweat, and lots of pain where the stitches were. I was back asleep in less than 15 mins, and slept the rest of the day and the rest of the night. I think I've been sleeping for almost 24 hrs, and now I feel very good.

Wishing you a speedy recovery & welcome onto the loosers bench.

Glad to see you've recovered enough to get online :) will be saying hello in person in a few short hours!

Glad to see you've recovered enough to get online :) will be saying hello in person in a few short hours!
Yes!!! Waiting for you! Although you'll have to excuse my appearance in a white hospital gown that shows my bottom if I move too quickly, lol, and my greasy hair due to how much I sweat yesterday, and full of grey hairs that I didn't bother to colour before traveling, lol. But my happiness to finally be meeting you in person will make up for all that! Enjoy your ride in the minivan, hope you get in early enough to see the countryside! If you brought your camera, pls take photos, we forgot ours!!!!!

Yes I had a gastroscopy in UK just before I left and took my report which meant I did not have to have one in Turnov, although they do sedate patients here so it is not so bad
Ditto for me. I had mine done back home and didn't need to get it redone at Turnov, just need to bring the doctor's report.

Back