• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What type of weight loss surgery?

100nettie

My sister underwent a gastric bypass operation in January this year, and it spurred me to do something about my obesity. Throughout the year I have been going to a weight loss clinic, and doing other things in order to qualify for it, which I now do.

Originally I told my doctor I wanted a gastric band; I didn't want to go for something as extreme and irreversible as my sister had. He is happy to refer me, but has asked me to think carefully about it over the Christmas period - they've recently had a death during a gastric band operation (although he didn't elaborate on the exact cause of death) and said that there are also a lot of complications that can occur with the band.

So my question is, there must be a lot of people on this forum who have had various methods of bariatric surgery. I would welcome your views on how surgery went for you, and whether you have had any problems, and also if you have regretted it.

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my post :)

Hi Nettie. I had a bypass in August. All went well at first; but at 8 weeks' post-op I suffered the very rare complication of a perforated gut. I was very, very poorly and had to have more open surgery.

Having said that, I'm still glad I had the surgery and glad I went for the bypass. I originally wanted a band as it 'wasn't so drastic', but knowing how much weight I had to lose, and having done all my research, I decided that the bypass was the right surgery for me.

My weight loss so far has been good but not spectacular. I've lost 3 stones 9 pounds since August 10th. I'm feeling so much better and everyone is noticing my weight loss. I've been getting lots of lovely compliments.:)
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done anything like as well with a band. The fact that I 'dump' (become poorly when eating sugary or fatty foods), and the great restriction I have with my bypass, makes me work well with it as a tool. don't regret my decision at all.

As to your decision, a lot depends on the type of eater you are. I was a volume eater (right for banding); but also had a very sweet tooth (right for bypass). My provider advised me towards bypass and I'm sure, despite the complications, that it was the right decision.
Best wishes, whichever you decide.
Grace xxx

Obviously it is your descion and it is only YOU that can decide as it is YOU that will be living with this life changing operation. But i will give you my reasons for choosing mine :)

I, like you, didnt like the extremity of the bypass and i didnt like that the band was an foreign object inside my body so after a lot of research i decided the absolute best option for me would be the sleeve.

The sleeve was normally done on very obese patients so that they could lose enough weight to go on to have a bypass, but patients where losing so much weight on their own there was no need to have the second op and it is now being done as a stand alone operation.

You dont have to look far on this site to see the amazing results the sleeve can help you achieve, there is the amazing mixxy and tiarasandtantrums to name only two.

Any option you have is going to be a tool though, you have to do 95% of the work in making the right choices while the tool will just restrict what you eat.

Good luck hun. xxxxxxxx

I had a bypass, which is what i wanted. Unfortunately i do not dump which can be bad if caution is not exercised... My surgery has been my new best friend. Okay i've only lost 4 stone in 6 months but i've lost a lot of inches, but more importantly i eat 'normal' food and enjoy it as much as ever, just smaller quantities..

Wls is a tool, just like your diet book when you join any of the well known slimming clubs. You have to put the effort in and be aware of what you are eating and doing....

Good luck with your surgery choices xx

I have had a duodenal switch which involves a sleeve and more extensive replumbing than a bypass.

It was the best op for me as I am able to eat small quantities of any food - have to carefully watch the sugar and fat content cos the more extreme ,a
maladsorption means I get diabolical toilet experiences (think Xenical then some!!) if I'm bad!!

Love my DS

xx

Hi Nettie, I started off wanting a band but after talking to different surgeons, examining my eating habits and hearing others stories I opted for a bypass and I can honestly say it has been the best thing ever.

I know I'm fortunate in that I've had no problems so far, everything seems to be healing nicely and I have good tolerance of foods - I don't seem to dump but havn't pushed it so that day may still come!

It's not all easy though - especially at the start when there was times my pals were all partying and I though 'what have I done?' but these times passed and I realised I could still enjoy nights out, good food etc. but just needed to change a few things. Now as Phatmomma says, i'm eating 'normal' food, going out to restaurants etc. and enjoying myself. I lost 2 stone in pre-op and another 4 stone since my op 15 weeks ago.

Ask lots of questions and whatever you decide, keep us posted and best of luck with everything!

I had the band fitted in July 2010 and so far I have lost just under 2 stone which is gr8 and the band suits me down too the ground, I did have to have the port resighted because the port turned upside down, this was rectified in 2 weeks and I have real good restriction since my last fill at the end of the day it all depends wot ur eating habits are tbh, I wouldnt suggest anyone to have a band if they have a major sweet tooth because eating choc/cakes/cream/sweet stuff basically it will slide through the band and will prevent weight loss. HTH Julie xx

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, I also found the idea of the sleeve interesting.

I'm back at the weight loss clinic in January, so I'll talk it over with them.

It's making me laugh to hear everyone say I've ONLY lost 3 stone, 4 stone, 2 stone - it's a lot of weight, and you are all to be congratulated.

It's still a helluva decision to make though...

Hi,
I thought I would add my two pennies worth if that is ok. I had a bypass. My provider tried to persuade me to have a band however did agree with me andf my reasons for wanting a bypass. These are
1. I was a type 2 diabetic. There is alot of research which states that type 2 diabetes can go into remission and stay in remission folllowing a bypass. (Mine did as soon as I had recovered from anaesthetic!)
2. I had had major surgery before and knew that I had alot of scar tissue internally. This meant that there was a high risk of needing an open procedure rather than laparoscopic. I felt that I wanted a one stop procedure and be 'sorted'. (I did have open surgery)
3. Statistically you lose more weight loss with a bypass rather than a band. I felt if I was putting myself on the line I wanted to gain the most out of it. (I have lost 12 stone in 9 months)
Would I do it again? OH YES!! Regrets - only that I didnt do it sooner.
Just as a sideline I didnt investigate the sleeve at all so cant compare it to any other surgery type.
Love
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

Good luck with making your decision which of course is yours 100%

I had a band fitted in April 09 and like Mixxie with his sleeve I have found it to be a walk in the park.

I chose the band as I had relatively less weight to lose than a lot of people, also my eating habbits. I was a volume eater plus due to other health problems my ability to exercise had been hampered.

I know have less than a stone to reach my goal and have no problems with lose skin etc.

As everyone has pointed out whichever option you chose will be a tool but you need to be prepared to embrace a healthy eating and (if you can) exercise regime to get the best results.

Initially the losses with a bypass exceed the band but over a two year period they even out, not sure on the stats for the sleeve but there are some very succesful sleevers on here!

Good luck on your journey x

Hi! Congratulations and I hope you take some time to think about which procedure to have. I had a lap band and did have several complications. My port flipped over and required another surgery to be revised. I wasn't able to tolerate much fluid in my band. My old doctor filled it too full often and caused me to have a lot of vomiting. Then my band slipped and caused awful nausea and vomiting until I was able to get my approval for the bypass. I am only a week post op from my bypass but am doing great. Please discuss all your options with your doctor and decide what is best for you!
Best of luck!
Shallon

Hiya i just had my op 2 weeks ago and i was terrified but i had too options live the rest of my life unhappy and over weight or try and gain some sort of happiness and contentment for myself and my husband and little girl this made it very easy to choose i thought the surgery would be horrific i even thought i was gonna die but after having the surgery it was nothing after i woke up i had no pain at all and i havnt experianced any the 5 small insisions on my stomach are hardly visable and were healed in 10 days i have been swimming today and its only 2 weeks since surgery i have lost 1 stone 4 lbs in two weeks ok the puree isnt the best but its not as bad as the feelings you experiance from being morbitly obese i had gastric balloon befor this and that was horrible i vomited and rolled around my bed for 3 months in pain but i lost 6 stones with it in 7 months so it was pain but alot of gain hope this helps xx

Back