• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what would you do in this situation?

tink1974

I just wanted to see what you would do in this situation - we went out for a team lunch today as one of the team leaders was leaving. I ordered a side order of salad which cost £3.99 for my meal and ordered a glass of tap water for show. Others had meals of the lunch menu which cost at least £6.99 plus some had wine & soft drinks. When it came to sorting the bill out the others said that we should just split it evenly meaning I was going to have to pay over £10 for my £4 meal

What would you have done?

Blimey, I would want to give them £4 but I know me and I would have coughed up £10. What did u do?

Sorry to be blunt but i would have told them all to **** off and pay for their own meals! I would explain my situation and make them understand!

Some people take liberties but I'm sure they didn't mean anything by it xxx

I felt really awkward, but said to them that I had just had a side order. I still forked out £8 though and felt like I was being really stingy. Why should I have to pay for their meals. Before I had my op I would have been happy enough to split the bill evenly cos it was swings and roundabouts - sometimes u paid more, sometimes less. I just begrudged paying 2 1/2 times the cost of my meal so they could have their wine for nothing.
I know they are all probably talking about me in work now :-(

Oh sod em mate :) xxx

I think in future you should tell them you will only pay for your own meal.
If they want to split the bill between themselves let them but why should you pay for something you can't eat or drink.

im with wendy ,,make it clear from the start then you dont have to feel uncomfortable,personally i would have paid ,but that is with people i go to lunch with and i enjoy their company,id be peeved it was with people i didnt really like though lol ,,or next time order the most expensive bottle spring water ! haha x ,

lamornamiss said:
I think in future you should tell them you will only pay for your own meal.
If they want to split the bill between themselves let them but why should you pay for something you can't eat or drink.

Agree 100%.

Even before my surgery when I was going out and people were drinking in 'rounds', I'd always be honest and say that I drink slower and so would just get my own.
If they can't accept your decision, they're not the kind of people I'd worry about offending anyway.

Thanks guys - makes me feel a bit better. I think when we are going out again I will tell them beforehand that I will pay for mine separately. Alot of them know I have had surgery and cant eat big portions. If they have an issue with it thats their problem. They just wont have the pleasure of my delightful company at the next team lunch lol :p

Totally agree it's like paying for a bottle of wine you don't touch

I've been in a similar situation and just said sorry but I can't afford to pay out more than my share so I'll pay for mine and you can split the rest without me. Polite and assertive is the key, almost always works!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I would of said jokey, hey a bit unfair as I've not had a lot, I'll pay for my own if ok. Not fair on you hun x

Wow Tink, not really been in this situation but if I was I would make sure I only paid for what I had eaten :eek: (right, now in reality I would have paid up & fumed afterwards, smoke out of ears type of fuming). I hate confrontation but once burnt twice shy so I would definitely make sure it did not happen again by making it clear from the offset that I would pay for my meal separately. As a non drinker (yes you read it right) we always used to get pulled into the rounds situation but now my hubby says from the start that he will get our's & up to now no one has taken offence. If you colleagues are childish enough to talk about you in this instance, well that says more about them than you xxx :D

some ppl take the p**s i dont mind throwing a score into the kitty but splitting a big bill for more than i had gets my goat up

I have to say none of my friends or work colleagues would have ever considered letting me pay for what I hadn't eaten. I have a job trying to get them to let me pay even for the little bit I have eaten. LOL

However in your position I would have said look guys you know I only eat less than chuff all so I'll get my bill separately if that's ok, and if they didn't like it they could go chuff themselves TBH.

Like I said all my mates etc know about my surgery and would never have expected me to pay for their food or drink, it's one reason why I told everyone I'd had surgery as we tend to eat out a lot at work and I didn't want this situation to ever be an issue

Thanks everyone. I went into work feeling awful but said to my manager that I felt really awkward. She apologised as she didnt even consider the fact that I had just eaten a side order of salad and no drink. I just said to her that in future if I was going out with the team again I would say before hand that I would just pay for my own and a share of the tip. Feel a alot better now - x

Back