• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating out - how do you approach it?

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
A lot of my social life has always been centred around food. I meet friends for coffee, lunch and dinner, we celebrate occasions with food, meals out etc. As I got bigger this became a bit of a mixed blessing having to worry about seating, being seen as eating for a third world country etc but eating out was always managable when theatre seats becaome too small or other activities too 'puff' making. I really felt this may dissappear for ever when I had my op.

The reality for me was that eating out post-op was possible but not as enjoyable for the first few months. The downside was not knowing what would suit or the worry that something would make a guest reappearance soon after eating if tiny tum didn't like it. As time went by this was overtaken by the 'oh my god that cost a fortune for that' as the amount I was eating was minute in respect of the money paid for meals. Plus I was embarrased at what I sent back and the enquiries as to what was wrong with the food. I now have a coping strategy in place. I recognise it not just the money issue, I enjoy the social aspect of meeting up over a meal so sod the cost. However i do seek to limit it by smiling at the waiter and saying 'I'm just out of hospital and can only manage a starter' and everyone has been very sympathetic. Not sure if my fave places will catch onto that excuse soon as they've heard it a few times now.

How does everyone else cope and deal with this?

M

I think at the end of the day , we're the customers and it's up to us how much we eat of things. A good restaurant should not mind the customer customising the food to their requirements..I mean most people on general healthy eating kicks are advised to ask for veggies to be steamed, sauces to be served on the side or not at all etc. I don't see why asking for a starter size portion of something where it's do-able will cause any problems.
If you want you could ask for half the serving in a take home pack as most servings are too generous anyway.

Good question!

I think early on post op its a nerve racking experience and often I didnt enjoy it - couldnt relax. Just after my op I had a bad experience at a local pub/restaurant type place, they refused to let me have the childrens tomato soup which was not lumpy even though my daughter, aged 7 and my mum were both having adult sized meals. The soup of the day was lumpy. Thinking about it after I should not of mentioned my surgery and let them assume the scampi and chips was for me and the soup for my daughter. Well we have not returned there!

Gradually I have found band friendly places and meals to eat and we tend to go to either:

Frankie and Bennys - lovely salads, cant eat them all but hey!

Taybarns - as you just help yourself you can make some good but small choices!

and a lovely pub in the village down the road who know about my op and will gladly serve me some salmon or other fish dishes with lovely veggies or a salad instead of chips etc at a reduced price due to the small portion. At first I used to just take what I couldnt eat home - lucky dogs! but I feel so comfortable going there now they know lol I even have my own plate - do you think I go there too often?

Maz x

I either eat at a local carvery which is only £3.59 so it's mainly self service or at the harvester where i have the plain grilled chicken breast with a jacket potato i usually manage half of the chicken breast and half the jacket and small side salad so i do get my money's worth and the dog gets the rest of my chicken!

I look at the menu at the time as sometimes I order a starter as a mains, I have the childs meal while my son has the adult one but prefer to go to a carvery where I can put what I want on the plate. I find I can manage a larger meal if it is mainly veg.

steak and salad, or a fish dish is my preffered choosing. but depending on where we are eating and portion size depends on if i have my own or share!!!

I have to say i've never hada problem eating out, i always customise the menu to my liking, adding a side salad instead of chips or a jacket spud, and on a number of occassions i've even ordered 2 starts as my main course, when the waiter asks i just say i dont fancy anything on the mains menu but fancy to starters, generally most places are happy to comply, as Mazz said we are the customer and in todays economic climate i dont think a resturant can really complain when people are buying the food.......as i've progressed further my tollerances to foods has risen, and barring things like pizza and big burgers i can pretty much eat anything from a main course menu, though if i'm not sure or the portions look massive i'll go for a safe option like lasagne or spag bol!
Leaving foods not an issue either - who cares as long as your paying for it.

tend to order off of the main menu only skipping the starter and dessert. i dont know about others but i cant find anything i really fancy and if i do its usally a let down, am i abnormal but i just dont enjoy food like i did.
being just over 20 stone i get funny looks off of the waiters when i show great self control not eating all the dinner and not wanting desert little do they know i would have been quite happy not having anything.
dave

I too have not had a problem eating out, early on when i had a Panini in BHS i was questioned about why i was leaving so much (had only eaten the filling out of one half and was full).

If its an indian mean i have a main dish but skip on the rice, i still avoid pasta, but take me to a seafood restaurant like tuesday evening and i am in heaven as i can sit and pick at a shared platter all evening. I too skip on the starters and desserts, but i will endulge in a coffee afterwards (usually an expresso) if its good quality, and sip at a glass of wine through the meal as i find i can eat a little more.

I have also discovered a definate liking for Sake to drink and am now on the look out for a nice white set as i plan on keeping a bottle in stock at home

I too have not had a problem eating out, early on when i had a Panini in BHS i was questioned about why i was leaving so much (had only eaten the filling out of one half and was full).

If its an indian mean i have a main dish but skip on the rice, i still avoid pasta, but take me to a seafood restaurant like tuesday evening and i am in heaven as i can sit and pick at a shared platter all evening. I too skip on the starters and desserts, but i will endulge in a coffee afterwards (usually an expresso) if its good quality, and sip at a glass of wine through the meal as i find i can eat a little more.

I have also discovered a definate liking for Sake to drink and am now on the look out for a nice white set as i plan on keeping a bottle in stock at home

Oooh that so reminds me Sage baby, we need to do sushi one night, we'd always talked about a meal meet up somewhere way back, and i know you love sushi ! ;)

whooo yes we do need to do a sushi night Richard PM me some possible dates and i will let you know if i can do them, lol and of course anyone else who has a love of great sushi. Shall we make it Poland street or are we going to get adventurous?

whooo yes we do need to do a sushi night Richard PM me some possible dates and i will let you know if i can do them, lol and of course anyone else who has a love of great sushi. Shall we make it Poland street or are we going to get adventurous?

Yep that sounds great, i'm up for japanese anytime, and if anyone else fancies coming along your more than welcome....... remember japanese isn't just sushi (raw cold fish and rice) , you can have fantastic curries, noodles and i die for a bowl of tempura prawns or vegatables :D

Glenville wants to join us, as i pmed earlier i am free this week afterwards gets more complicated as i also start on nights.

Can we set this up quickly/at short notice? I want my sushi/sake lol

And too right its not all about fish, my daughter will nto touch fish but eats at Yo-Sushi with us whenever she visits

Well i'm free any night this week other than tonight and Friday, so Tuesday, Wed or Thursday are cool for me, tell me where and what time and me and Glenville will meet you there ! (suggest meeting at a pub close to Poland st for a quick one and go from there)

Thursday night it is, we just need to set the time. I finish work at 7pm and its only a short walk for me from Oxford Circus. Do you have any preferences to pubs along there? Got to admit i usually avoid those.

Thursday night it is, we just need to set the time. I finish work at 7pm and its only a short walk for me from Oxford Circus. Do you have any preferences to pubs along there? Got to admit i usually avoid those.

Cool - Suggest we meet at 'The John Snow'
Address: 39, Broadwick St, London, W1F 9QP

John Snow, Soho, London, W1F 9QP - pub details # beerintheevening.com

At 7pm ish this Thursday.

I'll be the old wino proping up the bar in the corner :8855:

Anyone else who fancies it please come along, so far its:
Me
Sage
Glanville

Cool - Suggest we meet at 'The John Snow'
Address: 39, Broadwick St, London, W1F 9QP

John Snow, Soho, London, W1F 9QP - pub details # beerintheevening.com

At 7pm ish this Thursday.

I'll be the old wino proping up the bar in the corner :8855:

Anyone else who fancies it please come along, so far its:
Me
Sage
Glanville

Just a suggestion, but as this is posted in the 6 month + area, it may be worth you posting a seperate thread in the main area so that those who are not 6 months + could join you if they wish.

Its a bit far for me on a school night, so have a fab time x

chuckles thanks for the reminder Sam its been sorted at short notice will do a post now if Richard has not already

Back