• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting pre-op diet early...

mighty1888

There has been a lot going on recently, a friend being diagnosed with cancer and a split with my partner aswell as a few other bits and bobs, so I've been feeling rather down and deflated. I have been given the my surgery date of December 11th, and was advised that I had to start my pre-op diet three weeks before (Which would have been next week Thursday)

Rather than reach for a take away menu and a bottle of wine to make myself feel better like I have done many years before I've decided to start my pre-op diet a week early.. As in tomorrow. Eeek

I've planned to do a meal replacement shake in the morning, meal replacement soup for lunch and an evening meal around 300 calories,

I ordered shake that weight meal replacement shakes and soups, as they were a lot cheaper than slim fast, and me and slim fast didn't get on last time I tried it. I'm hoping these are a lot better. There around 135 calories each, so when I spoke to the dietician team about it, then said I could have 3 of the meal replacements a day rather than the two, so options there if I start to feel hungry.

I also decided to prepare my meals in advance, I work long days so having to go home and cook, when I know my energy is going to be lower than normal was not an option, as that's when I would normally reach for a take away menu.

Tottaly not sure on portion sizes, so guessing the sizing I've done so far are ok?

Preparing and getting things sorted for tomorrow has refocused me again on my goal, in my head, now there is absolutely no option to fail.

Attachments

• image-1821412742.jpg
    image-1821412742.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 83
Hello mighty1888
Sorry to hear of your and your friend's recent troubles I wish for things to get better for the both of you.
its a good idea I think to get started early on the LSD early I did the same thing and didnt regret it its about getting use to smaller portions pre and post op I like the precplanned meals they look yummy!
I did the 1000 cal food diet and it was ok for me
what I will say as someone 6 weeks post bypass I have the same pots and im eating about 1/2of each pot , so 1 of your meals is 2 dinners!

There has been a lot going on recently, a friend being diagnosed with cancer and a split with my partner aswell as a few other bits and bobs, so I've been feeling rather down and deflated. I have been given the my surgery date of December 11th, and was advised that I had to start my pre-op diet three weeks before (Which would have been next week Thursday) Rather than reach for a take away menu and a bottle of wine to make myself feel better like I have done many years before I've decided to start my pre-op diet a week early.. As in tomorrow. Eeek I've planned to do a meal replacement shake in the morning, meal replacement soup for lunch and an evening meal around 300 calories, I ordered shake that weight meal replacement shakes and soups, as they were a lot cheaper than slim fast, and me and slim fast didn't get on last time I tried it. I'm hoping these are a lot better. There around 135 calories each, so when I spoke to the dietician team about it, then said I could have 3 of the meal replacements a day rather than the two, so options there if I start to feel hungry. I also decided to prepare my meals in advance, I work long days so having to go home and cook, when I know my energy is going to be lower than normal was not an option, as that's when I would normally reach for a take away menu. Tottaly not sure on portion sizes, so guessing the sizing I've done so far are ok? Preparing and getting things sorted for tomorrow has refocused me again on my goal, in my head, now there is absolutely no option to fail.
Hi mighty. Im sorry to hear if your friend and your partner . With regards to your partner his loss and you know what as you get slimmer you will find more confidence to start your life over any way. With regards to you starting your LSD early be careful if I can give you advice . Sally the dietitian told me not to start too early as I thought the same . Im doing it for four weeks and believe me its so hard so please think on it! May be cut down . However its up to you! Your meals look yummy tho. Are they pre cut or raw? I have two weeks left and i really hope my liver has shrunk as I have only lost half stone in two weeks!!! I think. Time sure is flying . Are you looking forward to your surgery?? Xx

Last edited:
Just wanted to say good luck and anything you can lose pre-op means less to lose post op, hope things look brighter for you soon xx

Hi mighty. Im sorry to hear if your friend and your partner . With regards to your partner his loss and you know what as you get slimmer you will find more confidence to start your life over any way. With regards to you starting your LSD early be careful if I can give you advice . Sally the dietitian told me not to start too early as I thought the same . Im doing it for four weeks and believe me its so hard so please think on it! May be cut down . However its up to you! Your meals look yummy tho. Are they pre cut or raw? I have two weeks left and i really hope my liver has shrunk as I have only lost half stone in two weeks!!! I think. Time sure is flying . Are you looking forward to your surgery?? Xx

Thanks Sharona, it's a week earlier than planned, so an achievable amount of time I think, I spoke to the team who seemed to be fine with it. I had already started to reduce my portion sizes over the past couple of months, so hopefully the smaller dinner won't be to much of a shock for me.

It's currently 11:55am and I've already drunk more liquid than I would in a normal day. Going to stick to 2litres a day or just over. I've read somewhere about some people who end up in hospital after the op with dehydration so I know I need to make sure I kick myself into the habit of drinking and eeeek.. Using the work toilets.

The meals, I cooked, then put them in the freezer. Half a chicken breast (measured around 100g) some of it spicy, some Chinese flavoured, and steamed veg.

Yes I'm really excited about the op and how much more healthier I will be after. Are you looking forward to yours? Our operations are two weeks apart.

Thanks Sharona, it's a week earlier than planned, so an achievable amount of time I think, I spoke to the team who seemed to be fine with it. I had already started to reduce my portion sizes over the past couple of months, so hopefully the smaller dinner won't be to much of a shock for me. It's currently 11:55am and I've already drunk more liquid than I would in a normal day. Going to stick to 2litres a day or just over. I've read somewhere about some people who end up in hospital after the op with dehydration so I know I need to make sure I kick myself into the habit of drinking and eeeek.. Using the work toilets. The meals, I cooked, then put them in the freezer. Half a chicken breast (measured around 100g) some of it spicy, some Chinese flavoured, and steamed veg. Yes I'm really excited about the op and how much more healthier I will be after. Are you looking forward to yours? Our operations are two weeks apart.
Hi there good for you. Wow 100g chicken thats tiny. I have 7oz a day as my one meal steamed veg and 2 egg size potato. Im quite apprehensive mainly because some things I've read . However I'm sure everything will be fine. Im just hoping my liver has shrunk enough for the op . Quite nervous really! Best wishes mighty yes our ops are 2wks apart . X

Hi there good for you. Wow 100g chicken thats tiny. I have 7oz a day as my one meal steamed veg and 2 egg size potato. Im quite apprehensive mainly because some things I've read . However I'm sure everything will be fine. Im just hoping my liver has shrunk enough for the op . Quite nervous really! Best wishes mighty yes our ops are 2wks apart . X

I have every faith in our surgeons and for the initial op, main thing I worry about is the anaesthetic. I don't tend to have allergies, but the thoughts there.

I think your doing grand with your pre-op diet, uve stuck to what they have given us in the booklet so your liver will be shrinking and to lose so much in 2 weeks is good aswell.

I've been on the pre op diet now for 5 days now, and have just weighed myself. I've lost just over 3kg. Which I'm really happy with. I was advised by the hospital they expect me to lose between 7-10kg on the pre op diet.

My diet for the past 5 days has comprised of mainly

Breakfast - shake that weight shake
Lunch - Bovril ( + a shake one or twice)
Dinner - one of my pre-prepared meals of either chicken or chilli.

I've it easy going so far, only when I did some exercise did I find myself getting abit dizzy but drinking more liquid helped that. It's early days yet so I know it will get harder.

I've received a letter from the hospital today which cancelled (again!!!) my operation date of the 11th December and has moved it to the 18th December. They have advised me to stick to the pre-op diet to shrink the liver... So looks like I'm going to be doing this for a whole 5 weeks....

They did mention it could be cancelled again, and that all dates are not guaranteed... But yer... Blurgh seems like one thing after another. Have to stay positive and hope for 5 weeks I can so this!

I've been on the pre op diet now for 5 days now, and have just weighed myself. I've lost just over 3kg. Which I'm really happy with. I was advised by the hospital they expect me to lose between 7-10kg on the pre op diet. My diet for the past 5 days has comprised of mainly Breakfast - shake that weight shake Lunch - Bovril ( + a shake one or twice) Dinner - one of my pre-prepared meals of either chicken or chilli. I've it easy going so far, only when I did some exercise did I find myself getting abit dizzy but drinking more liquid helped that. It's early days yet so I know it will get harder. I've received a letter from the hospital today which cancelled (again!!!) my operation date of the 11th December and has moved it to the 18th December. They have advised me to stick to the pre-op diet to shrink the liver... So looks like I'm going to be doing this for a whole 5 weeks.... They did mention it could be cancelled again, and that all dates are not guaranteed... But yer... Blurgh seems like one thing after another. Have to stay positive and hope for 5 weeks I can so this!
. First if all well done on your weight loss so far thats such a brilliant effort. And your exercising well done again. Don't you find Bovril greasy???
As I read on why oh why is your op cancelled????whats going on . Why are dates nit guaranteed??? Whats going on . Have you phoned them?? Does that mean my and others around my time will be postponed. ??? Oh no! This was one of my fears! Could you please ring and see please . This would really mess me up with work etc . I have also had my pre assessment for op. Who is your op with??? Looks like they have over run themselves . Lots of people now opting for surgery! What a shambles! Do you think you can do the pre op for five weeks may be more?? Not saying you cant but its hard going trust me . Im struggling xx

. First if all well done on your weight loss so far thats such a brilliant effort. And your exercising well done again. Don't you find Bovril greasy??? As I read on why oh why is your op cancelled????whats going on . Why are dates nit guaranteed??? Whats going on . Have you phoned them?? Does that mean my and others around my time will be postponed. ??? Oh no! This was one of my fears! Could you please ring and see please . This would really mess me up with work etc . I have also had my pre assessment for op. Who is your op with??? Looks like they have over run themselves . Lots of people now opting for surgery! What a shambles! Do you think you can do the pre op for five weeks may be more?? Not saying you cant but its hard going trust me . Im struggling xx

your date is fine, I called them and asked every question under the sun. Basically have said that the theatre was needed for a cancer patients operation, which would take all day, they said they have cancelled two dates in December and that's it, and they have kept the 22nd of December open in case they get another cancer patient who has to have an operation asap, but if there is more than one then there is a chance my op could be cancelled again, they are not cancelling November operations from what she said. Don't panic it's just me who has had more bad luck with life again. It's something which they said is out of there control and something which they are currently in discussion with who ever it was about changes that need to be made.

5 weeks... It's gonna be hard but I have no choice but to do it. There really isn't any other option in my eyes.

Also, the bovril, I got cubes, and use like 3 quarters of half a cube, I add Tyme and abit of chilli powder and it taste like a normal beef soup, hence I dont tend to have a shake or meal replacement soup aswell. I do add a lot of water though, as thought it abit salty the first time I tried it.

your date is fine, I called them and asked every question under the sun. Basically have said that the theatre was needed for a cancer patients operation, which would take all day, they said they have cancelled two dates in December and that's it, and they have kept the 22nd of December open in case they get another cancer patient who has to have an operation asap, but if there is more than one then there is a chance my op could be cancelled again, they are not cancelling November operations from what she said. Don't panic it's just me who has had more bad luck with life again. It's something which they said is out of there control and something which they are currently in discussion with who ever it was about changes that need to be made. 5 weeks... It's gonna be hard but I have no choice but to do it. There really isn't any other option in my eyes. Also, the bovril, I got cubes, and use like 3 quarters of half a cube, I add Tyme and abit of chilli powder and it taste like a normal beef soup, hence I dont tend to have a shake or meal replacement soup aswell. I do add a lot of water though, as thought it abit salty the first time I tried it.
Im so sorry for the cancer patients and i would and would not like people to think I'm selfish as I'm far from it and it could happen to us all but Its silly to give people dates and fill their hopes if they need the theatres for these very ill patients so why give out dates ???? Its a real shame that yours have had to be cancelled more than once. I bet you wished you kept the 27th Nov now. I do hope they will stick with your last date. Thanks for asking I still hope and pray they don't cancel. All the best with your 5wk LSD your liver will be tiny! Keep in touch hun x

Im so sorry for the cancer patients and i would and would not like people to think I'm selfish as I'm far from it and it could happen to us all but Its silly to give people dates and fill their hopes if they need the theatres for these very ill patients so why give out dates ???? Its a real shame that yours have had to be cancelled more than once. I bet you wished you kept the 27th Nov now. I do hope they will stick with your last date. Thanks for asking I still hope and pray they don't cancel. All the best with your 5wk LSD your liver will be tiny! Keep in touch hun x

It's not selfish to think that, I guess it's last min appointments which they can't predict, but blurrghh

The 27th November was moved by them and not me... I could have done that date and wanted to. The 18th December will be the third date I have had from them.

Thanks, with the words and success stories on the forum I will try and keep positive, and stick to the LSD as much as I can.

I've been on the pre op diet now for 5 days now, and have just weighed myself. I've lost just over 3kg. Which I'm really happy with. I was advised by the hospital they expect me to lose between 7-10kg on the pre op diet. My diet for the past 5 days has comprised of mainly Breakfast - shake that weight shake Lunch - Bovril ( + a shake one or twice) Dinner - one of my pre-prepared meals of either chicken or chilli. I've it easy going so far, only when I did some exercise did I find myself getting abit dizzy but drinking more liquid helped that. It's early days yet so I know it will get harder. I've received a letter from the hospital today which cancelled (again!!!) my operation date of the 11th December and has moved it to the 18th December. They have advised me to stick to the pre-op diet to shrink the liver... So looks like I'm going to be doing this for a whole 5 weeks.... They did mention it could be cancelled again, and that all dates are not guaranteed... But yer... Blurgh seems like one thing after another. Have to stay positive and hope for 5 weeks I can so this!
good luck

Best of luck mighty! I've just completed week one of 3 LSD and I was amazed to find I'd lost half a stone. Just scared to get cancelled now :( x

Hi just been reading through your thread, I have also started pre-op earlier, milk pre op my hospital only require for 10days prior but with me being 400lb still i want to make sure its shrunk liver however, i may add a meal next week before im due to start it properly or just eat sensibly again lol. I lost some before hand as required but 7lbs in the 2 days i have been on this LSD...i was amazed. I am very tired tho i could not think about exercising walking round the shops yesterday was bad enough so good on ya! x

Back