• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what would you have done?

jenn69

So im a month into having my bypass surgery and yesterday I got a call from the hospital saying bbc Scotland are filming a documentary about bariatric surgery and would I be interested in taking part? Apparently im very articulate and a great speaker and impressed those involved in my surgery team. However I declined the offer am I mad for thinking I dont want the whole of Scotland to know what ive done?

It's a personal and for all everyone I know is aware of my surgery I wouldn't want the rest of the country to know!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I would have done the same as I would be worried that it might attract negative attention from the idiots amongst us who believe that "we" are a drain on the NHS. If it was part of a documentary giving a positive and balanced view of the situation then I might have felt differently but for just a news item it would be a no go for me.

I totally agree with your decision, I was once involved with a programme on Tv and pulled out after one week, it was horrendous. I was also asked to go on GMTV and The Trisha show and declined them too.

These shows bring unwanted, nasty publicity and in my eyes ridicule the overweight, even though they seem to be supporting you !

BBC though? Hmmmmm, tempting! Do they pay you? Did they say the theme of the documentary? Some of them are quite nicely done like the recent 24 hours in the NHS one (BBC). You could ask for a little more information before writing it off :) You'll have to let us know when it's on if you do it!

I don't blame you for turning them down. I was in an article in the Daily Mail a few years back for an article about donating my husbands organs after his death. Despite the subject of the article being on such an emotive subject, I got letters from people commenting on my size in the photo with the article - all insulting.

I don't blame you for turning them down. I was in an article in the Daily Mail a few years back for an article about donating my husbands organs after his death. Despite the subject of the article being on such an emotive subject, I got letters from people commenting on my size in the photo with the article - all insulting.

What? Have people got nothing better to do :mad: x

I think you totally made the right decision. You are in control of who you tell or don't tell. People are too negative and link people with weight problems into a stereotype. Good decision.

I think you totally made the right decision. You are in control of who you tell or don't tell. People are too negative and link people with weight problems into a stereotype. Good decision.

The decision is yours and i'm sure whatever you decide you will have thought about it. It is true that where you take part in suxh documentaries etc, u may find you are an inspiration to many but others will be very judgemental. Anyone who does not have an addiction with food or comfort eating does not understand the concept of being overweight and our reasons for choosing to have this extreme surgery i.e to better ourselves and to have hope for the future :)

Good for you for declining. Forums like this are the ideal place for people in our condition to ask questions and gain insight into what awaits pre and post op surgery. Nobody here decorates it up as a quick easy fix etc and nobody judges you for both making the desicion and being overweight in the first place. Just about every obese person I've seen on TV in these past few years have been paraded as some kind of freak show and are subjected to ridicule. Those days were of the bygone Victorian era. Being disabled, gay or even have red hair and you're protected by the PC brigade. Being overweight and your basically 'free-meat' for the media to chew on and spit out.
Nevermind your port scars and stretch marks...mental scarring stays around the longest. Anyone in a similar situation involving the media and wls, I'd say avoid at all costs.

Back