• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Would you talk to media about your bypass?

EmmaLouise81

Just curious, this morning I had call from my hospital team saying they had had a request for a gastric bypass patient to speak to the media, not are if it was print or tv.

Surgeon thought of me...nice of him but I said no thanks. I am a very private person..okay it would not be national front page news but still. I tell people on a 'need to know' basis, not at all embarrassed about it or ashamed I just can't be bothered feeding into people's gossip or negative opinions.

If someone was thinking of surgery I would speak with them and let them know about my experience but I came to boards like this one to find more information...my feeling is 99% of news articles are negative towards weight loss surgery , they exaggerate on what the person ate before or they make the operation seem a doddle....in hospital one day, 7 stone lighter the next!

So it wasn't for me...but made me think if I am alone in being this way or not?

The media always twist what you say so it will reinforce what the writer is trying to say, I have done both personal and professional interviews in the past and have never had one be the true reflection of my point! I agree with you, best kept away from - as they manipulate every word!
x

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek: Not in a pink fit, not for me either, lol ... but do watch all the programmes where people have been brave enough to put their selves out there. :):)

i agree in the way you put it totaly true, but if the media wanted to just know from our experiance befor, during, and after surgery to gain more insight to what w.l.s is all about and my photo wasnt plasterd all over the place along with my name then yes i would do it then.

Wise move Emma... i would only speak to the media or magzine if what i was saying was 100% brought over that way. not a weight loss issue.. but a friend of mine was on a documentary a few years ago about drinking.... she went to aa meetings for a while... but she was fortunate her drnking problems started when she split from her hubby... and with help 6 months later she quit totally. the media asked her when she had firs tried alcohol.. she was honest and said that she has tried a small taste of wine at a family wedding when she was 12.
When the prgramme was shown on the tv... it made out she had been drinking from the age of 12... she told them she was have a bottle of vodka a week... they said she had one a day... it was horrible and she tried to sue them... but due to funds she didnt win xx

Oh I am so glad to read these replies....I felt a little nervous after I said no as I thought maybe fellow patients might think I was letting the side down. I know how the media works, studied journalism and my sister is a working journalist so know they need a angle to grab attention. So glad I asked as I feel much better with my decision!

if they paid for my bypass, they could film it for all i care lol x

well everyones different and think i would be dubious about giving interviews as well they never print exactly what you say and i don't really want to shout from the roof tops what weight i was and what i am now to those who couldn'treally give atoss about me and would use it for a laugh i enjoy sharing on here because we are all in the same boat but media thats a different kettle of fish stick to your guns x

Caren said:

I feel the same. If I could benefit from it in a way that would help fund me I'm all theirs.

Caren if i win the lottery i would pay for your bypass... if anyone deserves it its you x

I think I would do it.

Sometimes I see overweight kids and want to go up and shake them and say "diet now!!! start jumping around, or you will end up at 22 weighing 25 stone like I did"

So I'd like to be able to really drill it into the younger generation that when you parents say "diet now as it will only get harder" they weren't kidding.

I'd happily do it, i'd like some cash though like from Bella and Take a Break etc. As I'd put it towards paying my loan off that I took out for the surgery

x

I couldnt do it, I havent even told many people bout my op only family and 1 friend know x

I would. I quite frankly don't care who knows about my bypass, most people I've told have been really interested about the details and one is even considering looking in to it for themselves.

I'm sure some of the people are thinking I'm taking the lazy route as they would put it but they can think what they like. I did this for myself and not anyone else so I only care about what I think.

I would definatly if I put one person off eating that choc bar it's worked lol

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I did talk to a TV lady about maybe filming and thankfully my op came to quick for them as I wouldn't have wanted them filming me like I was the first week :(
I am very open about my bypass so that wouldn't bother me. I would do it if I thought it would help even just one person but I would want to make sure I approved it first lol.
Thinking about it on the plus side if I had done TV I would have at least got to meet Shaw Sommers. I still have never meet him not even the day he did my op! I see a new consultant every time I go to hospital........:mad:

Funnily enough, I was asked recently to be on the Italian version of panorama. Not about my wls. But, as an average mum talking about the UK recession. I did it no probs. 150 quid for an hour of my time. Yes please!!!!

Back