• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's life like a couple of years after bypass?

emmakc

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if any of you guys that had your op a year or two ago (or even longer) would mind letting me know what life is like?

1) do you still get tired a lot
2) can you drink liquid normally now i.e. on a hot day could you take a long swig of water or is it sipping for life
3) how often do you get dizzy and feel rubbish

I know that the reason for this is weight loss and I know that's amazing but taking that out of the equation, do you feel healthy way down the line when life gets back to normal.

Thanks

Its fab not much different to pre op except I only eat small portions!I drink a full mug of coffee,drink squash normally,I dont drink a whole half pint in one go but do enjoy a drink.I eat out,walk everywhere,wear what I like,dont have chapped legs,sores under my tum and boobs.In fact Im just normal

I'm only 10 months out but I can drink normally now. I wouldn't take an enormous gulp but can drink half a glass of water in one go on a hot day etc. I'm pretty much back to normal get tired but think that's just a lack of iron with me or I may need a B12 jab soon. Lifes pretty damn good though.

Kate x

Thanks ladies, I'm getting pre-op jitters. I was supposed to have op on 17 August but cancelled. I think the pre-op diet doesn't help it makes me feel so down. I'm back on pre-op diet now (I have to do three weeks this time instead of two for some reason) and I think it makes me panic. At the moment I'm allowed 4 tins WW soup and 4 mullerlights a day plus water and milk. I just hope what I've been told is true - that the pre-op diet is the hardest bit as after the op you don't want to eat!

This is s great post. I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and must admit struggling a little and was thinking is this for life. It is such a relief when I hear I will be able to drink properly as I'm sick of sipping lol and to be able to eat normal food instead of mash!!!!! Xxxx

Absolutely you can eat and drink normally.Pre op diet is hard and your appetite immediatly post op for a few months is a lot less.I used to forget to eat!But and this is the rub,your appetite will return!Getting used to differing tastes and not being physically able to get certain foods down.I always stress we havnt had our mouths or throats made smaller,you can still swallow larger things,its when it gets past your throat the problems start!Vomiting up lumps of food will be the norm for a few weeks if you are not carefull,tiredness was another biggy for me in the first 6 weeks then after that I couldnt sit still!Im back to normal now though!lol maz x

Life doesn't stop after the op, it just gets better and better. 2 weeks out I went out for dinner with my husband and had tomato and basil soup to eat. I also had my works do and mashed up salmon into some potato 4 weeks later which was fine.

Now days I eat everything that the family eats just in a two year olds portion. I rarely have pudding though, firstly because I can't fit it in and secondly because I can't tolerate puddings very easily.

Kate x

At 3.5 years out I drink lots of fluid at any time without problems. I can eat anything without problem and my restriction has definitely lessened noticeably at the 3 year stage but is still there but you have to work harder with it and watch your diet. I don't get tired but some bypassers do and often this is because of low B12 or iron levels. You need to get bloods checked regularly which will help identify this. However if you are continuously tired speak to your GP if you are not on regular B12 injections. Some providers put patients on these immediately post op but my provider doesn't do that. I rarely feel rubbish or sick and if I do its because I've over eaten or eaten the wrong type of thing. Again if you have this for any long period of time you need to talk to your team about it.

Its such a great thing to have the bypass but very scary too. It can be a real life changing experience but you need to embrace it wholeheartedly and like a puppy its not just a present its for life and requires a lot of hard work and getting used to. BUT if you do it its so great I can't tell you the joy it brings.

HTH

M

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if any of you guys that had your op a year or two ago (or even longer) would mind letting me know what life is like?

Its Bloody brilliant

1) do you still get tired a lot

Yes if i dont eat properly and forget my iron

2) can you drink liquid normally now i.e. on a hot day could you take a long swig of water or is it sipping for life

I can do about half a glass at a time any more it trys to come back

3) how often do you get dizzy and feel rubbish

NEVER!!!! Well not as far as my surgery or weightloss is concerned.....appart from when im daft with food and eat something i shouldnt and have a little dumping session.

I know that the reason for this is weight loss and I know that's amazing but taking that out of the equation, do you feel healthy way down the line when life gets back to normal.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Iam 19 month post op and 14 stone lighter and life is great. I eat and drink the same as pre op just smaller portions. Pity the alcohol wasn't smaller portions too lol.
I no longer count calories or feel the need to watch what I eat, I go to the gym 3 times a week and really enjoy it, something I never thought I wud say.
If I gain a few pounds then I pull the reigns back and cut out the treats. I now weigh between
12.7 - 12.12 and for all I would like to lose another stone I have accepted it's not going to happen. I've went from a size 32-34 to a 14-16 and to be totally honest life is good. Bypass is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

happy days I really hope ?I'm like you. I want to lose the weight but I also want to have a normal life afterwards. I want the restriction but for example if its one of the kids birthdays I want to be able to have a small bit of cake. I don't particularly like mcdonalds - we very occassionally take the kids if we've been for a day out so I probably have it a few times a year but even though I don't really like it to think I could NEVER have it again is a little scary.

emmakc said:
happy days I really hope ?I'm like you. I want to lose the weight but I also want to have a normal life afterwards. I want the restriction but for example if its one of the kids birthdays I want to be able to have a small bit of cake. I don't particularly like mcdonalds - we very occassionally take the kids if we've been for a day out so I probably have it a few times a year but even though I don't really like it to think I could NEVER have it again is a little scary.

Last night is a typical example of a Saturday night.
Beef curry from Chinese with boiled rice. Split into three portions and froze the other two.
2 bottles of red wine
Think there was a packet of beefy hula hoops in there somewhere aswell. But that's once a week blow out.
Today so far a slice of toast, dinner will be something simple maybe a chicken fajita.

We often go out for meals and it's great just been able to say to the hubby will you finish my starter for me so I can leave room for my main. Only ever manage the steak, the chips etc never get touched.

Back