• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what is the difference between bypass and the sleeve

reema

Hi i was told that gastric bypass is better then the sleeve..
but the sleeve has less complications then the bypass..
please could some one kindly explain the difference to me as I'm in two minds about it...:confused:

Hi i was told that gastric bypass is better then the sleeve..
but the sleeve has less complications then the bypass..
please could some one kindly explain the difference to me as I'm in two minds about it...:confused:

With any surgical procedure there can be complications, so saying one's safer makes no sense, even banders have complications and thats sold as less evassive than either op!

Bypass verses sleeve - the debate goes on about this, there is no real long term success statistics for the sleeve to prove it works longer term, the sleeve is normally used with super obese paitents and normally followed with a second op for a full DS, many surgeons prefer the bypass for this reason and its seen as a more permanent solution for obesity. Theres a few sleevers here, some of which have been successful in losing significant amounts of weight, i think the most important thing to remember here is that which ever procedure you go for you will have to work with it to lose weight, none will just do it for you, and anyone that is successful here at losing whether with a band, bypass or sleeve uses there tool to its full effect and understands how it works and how to live and work with it....... So for any long term success this is fundermentally of importance.

Do some research and choose wisely the procedure thats going to work for you, remember no one here is going to walk in your shoes, you have to do the hard work so go for the option thats going to work and be best for you rather than following the crowd.

Good luck

I'm a sleever and found it great, but as SS put it (I don't think there is any better way than he has said) it's only the individual that can make any procedure work!

Simple explanation, the bypass is as it is, bypasses your stomach, just leaving you a little top portion of your stomach and piping it round the rest.

The sleeve takes 75% of your stomach out leaving you with a sausage shaped stomach instead of a big bag.

Hey guys Thank you so much for helping i had gastric bypass on the 9th of jan 2010 my mate had the sleeve but i wasn't told about that but so far i am happy with my bypass its just that I'm having problems at the moment with keeping food in and most of all drinking water..my mate was saying shes fine with Tropicana juice so i went and brought some do you think that would be OK as I'm 5weeks post op? take care..xx

i had tropicana 3 days out.. although it was watered down.. i was very poorly and the doctor told me to sip as much as i can.. i dump really bad with anything sweet but this seems fine.. hth xx

I'm a sleever and found it great, but as SS put it (I don't think there is any better way than he has said) it's only the individual that can make any procedure work!

Simple explanation, the bypass is as it is, bypasses your stomach, just leaving you a little top portion of your stomach and piping it round the rest.

The sleeve takes 75% of your stomach out leaving you with a sausage shaped stomach instead of a big bag.

Mix dude - i assume with a sleeve they leave your duodenum and pyloric sphincter in place, thus in effect your anatomy is the same as before but with just a smaller sausage shaped stomach ?

The bypass loses approx 1 metre of small intestine along with the duodenum to effect malabsorbtion, and the lack of pyloric sphincter means a bypasser has to eat the correct foods to gain restriction, otherwise foods slides through the small stoma created by the surgeon, where as a sleever should be able to eat anything (including slider foods) and still gain restriction (i.e filling the smaller stomach) ......am i correct ?

Malabsorbtion - I've read that longer term the body adjusts to the reduction of intestine and learns to absorb again more efficently, so its wise not to rely on the 10-12% malabsorbtion as a weight lose aid long term.

Back