• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats the difference??

ditzeeblonde

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a band & a sleeve?

Many thanks Linzi.x

Thanks Mixman.. so a sleeve is kind of between a band & a bypass??

Its very tricky deciding which one to go for... thought I'd be a bander til I read about the fact you can cheat & the trouble finding the sweet spot, then a bypass but thats pretty huge! So I'm wondering if the sleeve could be the right one for me....??

Initially, the sleeve was an operation given to very overweight people, like myself, in order to get their weight down so that a full bypass operation would be safer as the amount of restriction for the surgeon is less doing a sleeve than a bypass.

Now, it's found, that a lot of people are happy with the weightloss from a sleeve alone and do not need the 2nd operation to a full bypass.

I have lost 11st 10lbs in just over 7 months. I don't think I'll be wanting or needing the full bypass.

Benefits of a sleeve over a bypass is that your original 'plumbing' is all intact and the malabsorption is minimal compared to full bypassers.

Plus Dumping isn't as high a risk.

As with any gastric surgery, you have to work with it. It's a tool to use. I am allowed to have toast and possibly a bit of sweet what you fancy. But I have taken the personal choice of not touching a drop. The sleeve has also affected how my mind works. I have not had any bread or anything sweet since the 20th June last year.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on new Years Eve & since then have been following an atkins/low carb style woe & although I am losing weight well myself I know that my problem lies in maintaining it.

I love low carbing & don't feel like I need or want anything sweet whilst doing it & am hoping that with WLS this will just help me stay with this woe & maintain in the future instead of my life of yo-yoing.

So with your experience would you say this is something I could work along side a sleeve?

Thanks & sorry to be a pain. x

You're not a pain at all :)

I would say almost definitely. But not knowing you etc, you will have to leave that up to the professionals.

But low carb, high protein diet would be ideal. Just one thing though, your tastes change.

No idea why. I used to be a massive carnivore! Now, I can't stomach any more than a slice or 2 of beef or chicken with a salad!

I have no regrets what so ever. I'm the happiest I have been for many years!

Last edited:
I wasnt given a choice of which surgery I would like, I was told by the surgeon, that a Bypass was the way to go for me, and I trusted his professional judgement. :)

Thanks Rk... I'm guessing they know best. Just trying to get my head around all the options!

Both you guys have done amazingly!! Well done. x

Thanks Rk... I'm guessing they know best. Just trying to get my head around all the options!

Both you guys have done amazingly!! Well done. x
No probs hun & Thanks xx :)

As you are diabetic (as I am/was), your consultant is more likely to suggest a bypass. This is because the need for insulin and tablets is greatly reduced. I was on 170 units of insulin per day pre-op and now take none. My metformin has been reduced to a third of what is was before.

I am not too familiar with the sleeve, and don't know if you could expect similar results. Worth investigating. I would say that the band is probably a non-starter because of your diabetes.
hth

Hi Linzi
You've already had some great advice already I see. I was the same as you, I couldn't decide which procedure to have and that was after over three years of researching everything and anything I could on weight loss surgery. I also found I could lose weight myself but could not keep it off long term. None of the surgeries are fool proof, all have their faults. I didn't like the idea of my bowel being hooked up directly to my stomach and knew I wouldn't keep up with band re fills etc. too much hassle. Anyway, I finally opted for the sleeve and had the surgery almost three weeks ago, needless to say it's very early days but so far so good, I have lost a stone already. Keep reading and keep posting and I'm sure you'll find the surgery that's right for you soon.
best of luck
Sandra x

I am not too familiar with the sleeve, and don't know if you could expect similar results. Worth investigating. I would say that the band is probably a non-starter because of your diabetes.
hth

I am a diabetic and a bander and have now lost 6 and a half stone.

Its taken longer than if I had a bypass and I have away to go but for all intents and purposes my diabetes is now in remission, you never get cured, you just keep levels at normal.

I still have to be careful, as stress and other things like illness can cause a rise.

But just because you are diabetic doesn't mean the band wont work.

All surgeries are tools...you have to make them work. The bypass and sleeve get the weight off far quicker than the band but the overall long term weightloss is very similar.

You can cheat all three.

The bypass has the strongest ball and chain reminder for some, as it can cause you to dump if you go off the beaten track. But not everyone does.

Only you can decide what will suit you best and with guidance from your provider.

Back